Tanzanite & Sardonyx

hikinokie

Tanzanite & Sardonyx
« on: 2 Jun 2008, 10:38 pm »
Been in communication with Rick about replacing my Klipsch Reference speakers with the Tanzanite, Sardonyx and  surrounds of some sort, possibly custom. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for much better resolution altho' I don't expect miracles. Also slightly concerned about rated power handling of said speakers as I have a 140watt/channel amp and like action movies/music 50/50. Thanks in advance.

sbrtoy

Re: Tanzanite & Sardonyx
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2008, 11:30 pm »
I wouldn't worry much about the power handling as long as you are removing the low bass with a pre/pro.  In my experience I have also noticed that with more dynamic and resolving speakers you can watch movies at much lower levels and still get the "wow" factor.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2008, 05:32 am »
At the last may NY rave they powered my pair of Tanzinites with

Bel Canto Ref1000 500watts 8 Ohm and the Sanders Sound Systems els Amp. 360 watts in 8 ohms with no problem you can check out towards the end of the thread for some comments on the Tanzinites.

Ed

musicman06

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2008, 07:58 am »
I wouldn't worry about the power handling. I have these very speakers currently run off a 200 watts per channel (200x7) Gemstone Blue Diamond amp. For a brief while these also ran off a Yamaha RX-V 496, I believe rated at 100 or 110 w/ch. As long as the switch was set to 8ohms it powered my 5.1 Selah Audio setup without issue. BTW my surrounds are the S7's, which are basically two-way mini versions of the Tanzanites (without the mid).

Depending on your musical tastes you may want to use a tube pre or some similar combination. With a fast amp and detailed speakers such as these it will bring out the faults in the source material.

hikinokie

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jun 2008, 09:47 am »
At the last may NY rave they powered my pair of Tanzinites with

Bel Canto Ref1000 500watts 8 Ohm and the Sanders Sound Systems els Amp. 360 watts in 8 ohms with no problem you can check out towards the end of the thread for some comments on the Tanzinites.

Ed

Wow, people really seemed to like them. Pretty stiff competition too.

hikinokie

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jun 2008, 09:51 pm »
Well, money has changed hands and my Selahs are being built aa. Now the waiting begins!

jmpiwonka

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jun 2008, 02:25 pm »
i have an NAD preamp and adcom GFA-1A power amp. 220 watts a channel rms i think. my tanzanites are fine, but i don't play videos, just cds and records.

also, my brother has some klipsch reference series speakers, RF 3.2. a big and expensive onkyo reciever. he listened to mine and was impressed. liked my system better than his. said the midrange was much smoother than his.
« Last Edit: 6 Jun 2008, 08:37 pm by jmpiwonka »

cadobhuk

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jun 2008, 04:56 am »
of course haha..klipsch vs seas - not much of a comparison

jmpiwonka

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jun 2008, 03:23 pm »
the tanzanite also have that morel dome...

hikinokie

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jun 2008, 10:36 pm »
I have the wall shelves built and ready for the surrounds (replacing Klipsch dipole wall mounted speakers). I'm pretty sure the Selahs will take more power for the same db's but it shouldn't be extreme. Now I'm just waiting for the man to put them together. :D

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jun 2008, 05:19 pm »
I had Rick build me in wall side surrounds similar to the Tanzanite (Rick, what are they?) and I have Tanzanite rear surrounds. 

I think you will like them.

The in-walls you have are basically a modified version of the Tanzanite with an 8" woofer instead of a 7".