Wyred 4 Sound DAC details announced, incl. release dates

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Re: Wyred 4 Sound DAC details announced, incl. release dates
« Reply #60 on: 15 May 2010, 07:51 pm »
I haven't heard the EE DAC, it sounds like it would make an interesting comparison though.

Hopefully it will happen soon as I feel they're among the top running Dacs in the $1K market today and while somewhat simular, they have feature offering differences. It would be a nice comparison of 2 different design directions utilizing this new Sabre chip.  8)

Cheers,
Robin 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #61 on: 15 May 2010, 09:14 pm »
I'll have my EE next week and I need to arrange with Chad and Scott a comparison to the Wyred 1 and Tranquility.  And perhaps an AVA Vision.  I need to propose a format and some tunes and we'll need to select one of our systems to play on.  Should be fun.  I wonder if we'll end up lusting after each other's dac when we're done? :P

Jon L

« Reply #62 on: 16 May 2010, 01:03 am »
Jonl,
Where do you read that Sabre does upsampling internally?  Maybe oversampling, but any Sabre DAC chip I've used (Oppo, etc) does native sample rates as output.  Maybe we're having semantics differences (i.e oversampling vs upsampling to 864khz).

I thought it was common knowledge.  If you google Sabre and Upsampling, you'll see many references.  For example, under "Technical Considerations" of this article:

http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=1268

Also, 864kHz is NOT multiples of 44 kHz.  It's actually multiples of 96kHz  (or 48).  To be simple oversampling, it would have to be 792kHz (18x oversampling).  So it's not even synchronous upsampling but the (dreaded) asynchronous upsampling  :wink:

Actually, this point is the one thing that bothers me about Sabre chips..

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #63 on: 16 May 2010, 01:32 am »
I thought it was common knowledge.  If you google Sabre and Upsampling, you'll see many references.  For example, under "Technical Considerations" of this article:

http://www.audiophilia.com/wp/?p=1268

Also, 864kHz is NOT multiples of 44 kHz.  It's actually multiples of 96kHz  (or 48).  To be simple oversampling, it would have to be 792kHz (18x oversampling).  So it's not even synchronous upsampling but the (dreaded) asynchronous upsampling  :wink:

Actually, this point is the one thing that bothers me about Sabre chips..

What you are describing is , in my book, typical DAC oversampling (before the actual DA conversion), for jitter reduction...not upsampling.  The author of Audiophilia is not 100% spot on in all his reviews, as well.  (Note:  I love how he says he changed hsi tubes and the polarity on his speakers and he noticed a change in presentation....ya think?).  I could be wrong, but this oversampling doesn't mean that they can't do 44, 88, 176 as well as 48, 96 and 192k. 

bhobba

« Reply #64 on: 17 May 2010, 06:48 am »
What you are describing is , in my book, typical DAC oversampling (before the actual DA conversion), for jitter reduction...not upsampling.  The author of Audiophilia is not 100% spot on in all his reviews, as well.  (Note:  I love how he says he changed hsi tubes and the polarity on his speakers and he noticed a change in presentation....ya think?).  I could be wrong, but this oversampling doesn't mean that they can't do 44, 88, 176 as well as 48, 96 and 192k.

There is some controversy on if up-sampling and oversampling are the same thing.  Wadia some time ago if I remember correctly did a technical analysis showing they are really the same thing.  That aside in general oversampling increases resolution by simply duplicating previous values at a higher frequency rate then applying a digital filter to get rid junk produced by the process.  That way you don't need a brick wall filter in the audio range to get rid of DAC conversion rubbish which some don't like because it introduces response ripples and other stuff.  Up-sampling is much smarter and attempts to fill in those values in a more sophisticated way and may even adept itself to what its being fed.  That's the way the Anagram up-sampler worked for example.  The EES literature claims they use up-sampling but are a bit coy on details (its proprietary after all).  However Anagram would seem to be old hat these days because last I heard they had gone kaput and people who have heard both Anagram and Sabre dacs tend to prefer the Sabre.  My guess is ESS's up-sampling is more advanced than even the Anangram.

If you prefer up-sampling or NOS is a personal preference.  They each seem to have their own strengths and weaknesses.  For example the Wiess and the Steve Nugent overdrive are both considered excellent USB Dacs that computer audiophile really cant separate in terms of sound quality - one is a NOS design, the other oversampling.  IMHO either can sound excellent - it purely depends on the implementation.

BTW just ordered a DAC2.

Thanks
Bill

mr_micus

« Reply #65 on: 27 May 2010, 10:59 am »
Sorry: noob double post here: came to this thread from the earlier (now later) thread on the same topic . . .

I'm also waiting for the DAC2, having heard the DAC1 last week: dead impressed, incidentally, but wanting 24/192 USB: here's hoping their proprietary drivers are up to scratch.

Also curious to note complaints of not being able to demo them: in response to earlier comments, I notice Wyred 4 Sound's web site has a pretty strict returns policy, whereas in the UK, I was able to try before buying. What's that about?

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #66 on: 6 Jun 2010, 02:16 pm »
First comments I've seen on the new Wyred 4 Sound DAC2.  I've got one on order as well.
http://learn.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1274281390&read&h72&zzlWyred4sound&&

tigzstudio

• Norah Jones Rocks!
« Reply #67 on: 9 Jun 2010, 10:09 pm »
So the only reason Wyred wouldn't of implemented firewire instead of usb is because most people out there have USB?  I would think firewire would be superior to USB.  I guess you could always get that Hiface adapter.

face

« Reply #68 on: 10 Jun 2010, 12:29 am »
So the only reason Wyred wouldn't of implemented firewire instead of usb is because most people out there have USB?  I would think firewire would be superior to USB.  I guess you could always get that Hiface adapter.
How would firewire be better than asynchronous USB?

I also believe firewire would alienate a majority of their buyers.

ebag4

« Reply #69 on: 2 Aug 2010, 05:41 pm »
I'll have my EE next week and I need to arrange with Chad and Scott a comparison to the Wyred 1 and Tranquility.  And perhaps an AVA Vision.  I need to propose a format and some tunes and we'll need to select one of our systems to play on.  Should be fun.  I wonder if we'll end up lusting after each other's dac when we're done? :P
Hi BRM,
Were you ever able to compare the EE to the Tranquility DAC?  What were your impressions?
Thanks,
Ed

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #70 on: 27 Aug 2010, 11:52 pm »
Anything new?

This is one of several DACs on my short list possibly to replace a Cambridge 840c that is showing some personality signs that suggest it might be wise for me to start planning on life after it.

This, PerfectWave DAC, the Neko, and probably several others are all on the radar. My PC, my home theater, everything is in the same room. Ideally I'd like to have about 4 inputs.

Every time I run across a mention of this DAC or the company I see nothing but good things. I'm sure Cullen implementation of the Sabre is going to be something.

All thoughts and advice appreciated. :)

face

« Reply #71 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:21 am »
It will sound fuller and more transparent in comparison.  It will also get rid of the 840's sterile top end.  ;)

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #72 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:43 am »
It will sound fuller and more transparent in comparison.

Sounds great!

It will also get rid of the 840's sterile top end;)

That's a good description of it.  :wink:

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #73 on: 30 Aug 2010, 08:21 pm »
It will sound fuller and more transparent in comparison.  It will also get rid of the 840's sterile top end.  ;)

Are you the same face that posts on this forum?

If so, then you probably know who this is:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1408583&postcount=75

Apparently he confirms your prediction and then some. Interesting that he's coming off the 840c like I am. Tantalizing. ;)

If you're the same face then I also echo post 76 in that thread and await your in depth review as well.  :)