Who has Windows 7?

srb

Re: Who has Windows 7?
« Reply #40 on: 30 Oct 2009, 08:04 pm »
My card is the SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 4870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E (ooh la la)

http://www1.sapphiretech.com/us/products/products_overview.php?gpid=296

Oh yeah?  Well I'm getting the Super-Vapor-XXX 4GB GDDR6.  Or 7.   ;)

Actually my ATI 3400 card was the smallest, slowest entry-level one I could buy 18 months ago.  It performs all of my functions, including HTPC duties, just fine, but I don't at this point play any games or do any graphics rendering.  Of course my Performance Index for Graphics/Gaming Graphics is only 4.1/4.2, and that bugs me just because it is a low number compared to the other Performance Index scores!

So it appears it's not an HDMI/HDCP handshake thing, but a waking-up-from-hibernation-with-dual-monitor thing.

Steve

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #41 on: 30 Oct 2009, 08:28 pm »
I'll bet 18 months later you can get a much nicer card for the same price. But for $90 you can get a killer card like this one: HIS H387QS512NP Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported IceQ3 Video Card - Retail Don't know first hand but you see the difference.

I just called Saphire tech support and they did not have an answer - but if I can put it in another machine where it does the same thing I can RMA it. I have to think there is some software solution though.

GHM

« Reply #42 on: 30 Oct 2009, 10:04 pm »
I use dual monitors as well with a Nvidia 8800 GT DVI to HDMI. Both monitors come up as they should from hibernation. Tonight I'll be hooking up all three displays to this card (projector/ 100 inch screen,52 inch and 19 inch). I doubt I'll be able to run the TV and projector at the same time since they'll be on the same leg of the video card going through an HDMI splitter. Can't watch but one at a time any way.

srb

« Reply #43 on: 30 Oct 2009, 10:11 pm »
I use dual monitors as well with a Nvidia 8800 GT DVI to HDMI. Both monitors come up as they should from hibernation.

I suspect ours may be a problem with the ATI Catalyst Control Center software common to all ATI cards.  My frequency of problem is probably once every few weeks, so not a great concern.

Steve

GHM

« Reply #44 on: 31 Oct 2009, 01:05 am »
I use dual monitors as well with a Nvidia 8800 GT DVI to HDMI. Both monitors come up as they should from hibernation.

I suspect ours may be a problem with the ATI Catalyst Control Center software common to all ATI cards.  My frequency of problem is probably once every few weeks, so not a great concern.

Steve

I read some where on the AV forums that there is a problem with the ATI drivers as you have stated. Looks as though the Monoprice HDMI powered splitter does work for those wanting to use more than two displays with a two display video output card. The unit will work with both split displays on. Only problem is the resolution has to be the same for both displays or changed to the display that is in use at a given time.

I've also came across a ATI card that will do 3 displays at once? Can't remember the numbers though. I wouldn't mind trying one if it is quiet in operation.