Meridian Sooloos

whytejon

Meridian Sooloos
« on: 1 Sep 2009, 06:39 pm »
Hey guys,

Anyone had a play around with this thing, or even better heard it??

Ive arranged a home demo for this Friday, but not sure what to expect!
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2009, 05:51 pm by whytejon »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Meridian Sooloss
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2009, 07:14 pm »
Check this thread for prior discussions. 

panomaniac

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2009, 12:02 am »
Yes, both.  It's $$$ but what you are paying for is the interface.  It's killer.  Someone spent a lot of time putting this thing together.   The hardware is all top notch too, for sure.  And it's pretty.

I'm no sure that I could imagine a better system.  Less expensive, sure.  But not better.
Can't really swear to the ultimate sound quality as no A/B tests were performed.   It sounded great to me the couple of times I've heard it. (and I'm picky).

BTW, it is spelled SOOLOOS.

PLMONROE

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2009, 01:37 pm »
It's nice. However the Qsonix running through an external DAC is more appealing to me. Also it is less expensive.

Paul

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2009, 09:25 pm »
Yes, both.  It's $$$ but what you are paying for is the interface.  It's killer.  Someone spent a lot of time putting this thing together.   The hardware is all top notch too, for sure.  And it's pretty.

I'm no sure that I could imagine a better system.  Less expensive, sure.  But not better.
Can't really swear to the ultimate sound quality as no A/B tests were performed.   It sounded great to me the couple of times I've heard it. (and I'm picky).

I wholeheartedly agree with the above statement.  The interface is stellar and the price is even more "stellar"!  I have heard the system on B&W 802's and it sounded good but no indication of overall quality relative to a Squeezebox or any other streaming product.

I REALLY wish I could just buy this interface and install it to be used with my Squeezebox.  It is that good- it however to me it is not worth the current pricing scheme. 

James

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2009, 11:11 pm »
Ultimate sound quality is no better than anything else.  It needs an external DAC to really do it's best.  But the software is the best and the easiest to use and interact with.

Have had the Sooloos for two years now and very happy with it.  Just upgraded to the new Control 20.

whytejon

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2009, 06:10 pm »

I stand corrected - subject title changed!!  :wink:

I know you guys are all keen to know what i think..... right??

Ok, so i was quite doubtful that this system would beat my DCS Transport, i really want to go discless, however im not willing to sacrifice sound quality in order to have the additional convenience.

Looks nice, build quality seems ok, but not up to the standard of some, interface seemed to work nicely, i wasnt too happy that it isnt wireless though, it has to be plugged into your router via ethernet cable.   :?  (and my router is not in the same room as my hi-fi)......

Set up:

I was only trying out the Control 10 and the twinstore, i used my own MIT Oracle digital cable to connect the Sooloss to my DCS DAC.  So basically it was a DCS Verdi Encore Transport Versus Sooloos direct comparison.

Sound:

The fact is that, it didnt sound as good as my DCS transport, however, there wasnt a huge amount in it.  The imaging i get from my DCS is better, more 3D and the overall sound is more natural with better resolution, having said that, i was pleasantly surprised by the Sooloos.

Am i buying one??  Probably not, it has the feeling of a young, developing product that isnt quite optimised yet.  I have a feeling that 6 months after i bought it, Meridian would bring out a new one and the one i buy would be obsolete, and thats a lot of cash to have something out of date!

Besides, im definitely not going discless without trying the Naim HDX. 

Although in typical Naim style, they arent happy to sell you only one box for a measly $8k, oh no,  :nono: you really need the 555PS ($8k) and Naim DAC ($3k) for it to perform at its best - oh and just incase you really have more money than sense, you can add another  555PS to the DAC!!   :o

TONEPUB

Re: Meridian Sooloos
« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2009, 07:46 pm »
I think your observations were spot on.  I use my Sooloos with a Wadia 781 for a DAC, but it still
doesn't sound as good as the Naim 555.

The HDX is very cool too, but doesn't have the functionality that the Sooloos offers, though it
has a few interesting tricks up it's sleeve.

If you were using the HDX as your music server through your DCS stack, you wouldn't need an
addl. PS555.  It makes a diff for the analog section if it were your stand alone, but with such an
awesome DAC, you wouldn't need any of it, just an HDX.

PLMONROE

« Reply #8 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:48 am »
Which Sooloos did you audition, the original or the all new Sooloos 2?

whytejon

« Reply #9 on: 14 Sep 2009, 08:33 pm »
It wasnt the new Sooloos 2, so it must have been the original.

Didnt think there was much difference, just software updates no??

PLMONROE

« Reply #10 on: 14 Sep 2009, 10:48 pm »
Donno -- just read the report on Sooloos 2, I presumed it was somewhat more than just a software change but I am not sure. :scratch:

Paul

sts9fan

« Reply #11 on: 14 Sep 2009, 11:23 pm »
I think the only thing the same is the looks

PLMONROE

« Reply #12 on: 16 Sep 2009, 04:52 pm »
Again, I am not sure, but my impression was that the changes were extensive. Anyone have more spicifics?

Paul

sts9fan

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2009, 05:01 pm »
its in either the newest Stereophile of Absolute Sound.  I think Stereophile.  I am 90% sure it said that it is almost completly new.