recommendations-already built pc to store music for my Modwright Transporter?

schw06

Looking for help in purchasing a pc to hold my music. It will sit in the basement and be on 24/7. Recommendations around $500 would be great! I need ~500 gigabite hard drive and the computer will not be used for any other purpose.
David

WGH

Newegg.com has a few PC's in your price range with enough left in the budget for a monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2032280010%201142722607&name=500GB

What are you using for your music backup?

Wayne

schw06

I have 2 backups- a Buffalo Station network drive and a copy on an old laptop. Thanks for the recommendation.
David

WGH

I have 2 backups- a Buffalo Station network drive and a copy on an old laptop. Thanks for the recommendation.
David

:thumb:

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Squeeze Center (and the ethernet connection) is a very light demand.  Any late model PC will work.  Dell Outlet store is a great option, but only if you already have a keyboard, mouse and monitor, usually.

nyc_paramedic

Looking for help in purchasing a pc to hold my music. It will sit in the basement and be on 24/7. Recommendations around $500 would be great! I need ~500 gigabite hard drive and the computer will not be used for any other purpose.
David

Consider a used PC from a thrift shop/Salvation Army or Craigslist. Also take a look at FreeNAS for a free easy to use (web based interface) NAS solution. If you'll be using SATA drives you'll only spend maybe $20 on a 2 port SATA PCI card from Newegg. FreeNAS or Linux can handle the RAID in software.

FreeNAS: http://www.freenas.org/
SATA card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816132007

I used to use an old Dell GX110, 128Mb RAM as a simple file server with Linux & FreeNAS. Replaced the Pentium 3 CPU (42 watts) with a Celeron ($4 on eBay) 300Mhz for a draw of 26 watts from the outlet. I found the machine in the trash.

Craisglist is a gold mine for older used machines at very cheap prices.

Philistine

I bought a PC from Dell Outlet 2 years ago, great deals available - I bought a pre-configured/undelivered PC.

firedog

If it will be in your basement I assume PC noise isn't an issue. In that case, the truth is just about any PC will do. I'm using a dual-core ATOM configuration as music server only and it does it's job with no problem. I've also seen single core ATOM netbooks work fine as music servers. So processor power isn't important - don't spend money on it.

However, since you don't seem to be looking for a "nearly free" alternative, I'd recommend the following:

Get at least 1GB of RAM (up it to 2 or 3 GB if you're planning on also using the PC to rip bit perfect copies with EAC or dbpoweramp). This will prevent memory from being an issue.

If you are going to access it remotely (remote desktop or web) I'd also forgo the video card - a modern motherboard will have all the functions you need "on board". You want the simplest PC that fits your needs - less complication, hardware, and processes will lead to cleaner output, and simplicity = fewer problems. Less heat = longer life for PC. So leave out any cards/hardware you don't really need.

I'd recommend a fairly modern (new or refurbished) PC, as your $500 will cover the cost no problem. With a new(ish) PC you can get better wifi/network features and performance, newer versions of the OS work better and are more secure, support exists, and you'll find it easier to work with whatever software or hardware you might want to in the future.

Update: I just looked on the Dell site, and they have multiple models -new - that  would be good for you in the $350 $500 range. I also see that many come with Vista 64 - if you get Vista 64 you might as well get 4 GB RAM, as it can exploit it (Vista 32 can't fully exploit 4GB). Again, for music server purposes I'd go with the slower, cheaper processors.

wilsynet

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
I bought a PC from Dell Outlet 2 years ago, great deals available - I bought a pre-configured/undelivered PC.

Phil,
I'm sorry that it never got delivered.   :D

Philistine

Phil,
I'm sorry that it never got delivered.   :D

Good one Ted - you must have English ancestors to pull that one out, a Germanic blood line wouldn't stretch that far.  :icon_lol:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Wow, thanks for the headsup on the vortexbox!