Ebay DIY DAC kits?

stevecuss

Ebay DIY DAC kits?
« on: 15 Aug 2009, 01:27 pm »
Hi Folks, 

(also posted in GR Research circle where I'm most active.) 

Its time for me to add a DAC to my system between my airport express and my rotel preamp.  I'd like to spend $250 or less and build my own DAC if possible.  I've built GR Research AV2s, modified a tube guitar amp and replaced an LCD screen in a laptop, so I don't have mad skills, but I can get by and follow instructions.

Can anyone give guidance or advice on the many kit DACS being offered through ebay out of Asia?  I'm particularly interested in trying a tube DAC, but don't want to buy one blind.  If that doesn't pan out, I'll probably shop for a used VALAB or Pacific Valve DAC

thanks and best wishes

Steve

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
Re: Ebay DIY DAC kits?
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2009, 01:58 pm »
Hi Steve:

While not a tube DAC, I recently purchased a Gigaworks 24/192 off of ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120428937557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBDIX:IT). For me, it was an affordable option for outputing music over USB. There is also a substantial thread on the product at http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=239ba83a5d1c94f31bd3838a7c71df2b&threadid=137976&perpage=25&pagenumber=43, which includes some mods that you can perform. I'm not an expert on these things, but a few guys on diyAudio said this unit compares favorably with some $800 DACs they listen to. YMMV of course.

Steve

PS. A couple of users also adding a tube follower to this DAC, which might be an option.

mike1964

« Reply #2 on: 15 Aug 2009, 02:13 pm »
Go for the VALAB DAC, it looks to be a good one, particularly the "luxury" version. 
Another choice, although not tube, is to find a pre-owned AudioSector DAC by Peter Daniels.  I've seen them listed here as well as head-fi and Audiogon.  They're really nice for the money.

stevecuss

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2009, 07:51 pm »
Hi Guys,

thanks to both of you for your responses. I'll start with the Valab as option A and then try a kit as option B.  The Valab looks fun and is apparently very modifiable, so it gives the best of both worlds

best wishes

Steve

united1

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2009, 08:39 pm »
speaking of, the usb AudioSector DAC also comes in diy kit form for cheap.  so do scott nixon dacs.  imo having owned both, these are better than stuff from ebay (asia) in that they are well designed without issues/problems.  no suprise here with these designers.

fwiw i've own the valab, had distortion issues and had to send it back.  also owned a few mhdt lab dacs and had to send them back...same problems with clipping, distortion, etc...

not saying it's necessarily a crap shoot, but you do have to get lucky.  the usa stuff is just proven and reliable, and you get domestic support.  i believe the kits i mentioned can be had for under $200.  of course the ebay stuff is cheap so it won't cost much either way to experiment and have some fun.

stevecuss

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2009, 09:01 pm »
Hi Guys,

I went with the Valab DAC for sale here on audiocircle.  SS, but a price that's hard to beat and a good reputation.  thanks for your input - I'll keep pursuing a Tube DAC kit or start looking into a tube buffer