1616M modifications and internal diagnosotics

doctorcilantro

1616M modifications and internal diagnosotics
« on: 15 Jul 2009, 07:22 pm »
Thought I would post here about modding my 1616M. It currently feeds a Peachtree Nova. I was considering an external clock, but then thought I would just send it out to get looked it as I want to improve, if possible ADC performance, and add BNCs to the Microdock.

The 1616M breakout box is replaces the 1212M daughter card which as 1/4" i/o and ADC chip. It connects to the 1212M PCI card(called 1010 card), via Cat5. One powered on, the daughter card, if connected, vanishes and the 1616M with it's i/o and ADC tkae it's place.

Since I don't use the DAC, the location of the clock is of concern. It seems that it is not, along with 12V (which I have verified) along with data to the 1616M Microdock. I used a 3m "EDI" cable from EMU and was observing intermittent clicks during playback through the Nova. Switching to a shorter cable removed the offending artifacts (EMU verified they have observed this in rare cases).

So now, I am reconsidering using an external clock as the system can be clock internally or external from the Microdock.

I'm wondering if this means the data is sent to the Microdock and since the clock is now sourced at the Mirocdock via the S/PDIF input, do I exclude the Cat5 cable from the clock completely? Would the clock info. be sent back down the Cat5 to the PCI card for any reason?
Or does the data simply come to Microdock and get clocked on it's way out the S/PDIF output?

"I admit that it's been a while since I opened my 1820m dock, but I'm almost certain that there is no separate clock - it is transmitted over the CAT5 cable. 12V power is also carried over the cat5 cable; if we assume one pair for 12v/gnd, one pair for an lvds clock signal, we have two pairs left for lvds data transfer - I'd guess that would be one pair for playback and one for record. [I don't know this is what they're doing, I'm just guessing]"

DC
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2009, 08:27 pm by doctorcilantro »