Help setting up my computer for a dac

rtate

Help setting up my computer for a dac
« on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:31 pm »
I have a usb dac that I want to connect to an integrated amp.
My computer used to have powered speakers via a sound card.
So I disconnected the powere speakers and hook up the dac via usb port
connecteds to a Nad integrated amp.
But no sound!!
Do I need to change the settings on my PC inorder for this setup
to work??
I am using Windows XP.

srb

Re: Help setting up my computer for a dac
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:50 pm »
Yes.  If the USB DAC was recognized by the computer and installed itself, you will need to:

1.  Open the Control Panel and select Sounds & Audio Devices.
2.  Click on the Audio tab and in the Sound Playback section, drop down the Default Device list and select your USB DAC device.
3.  There may be an Advanced button, if so look in there and see if there are any settings you want/should make (like default sampling rate, etc.)

Steve

rtate

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2009, 09:09 pm »
Thansk for the quick reply Steve,
I checked what you suggested and in that playback drop down I did not see my device, however i did see USB speakers. I did try this but no luck.
I checked the volume and it is at 100% and I checked and unchecked "use default devices but nothing...
another thing.. my mouse click sound is coming through on the speakers, just no music??

srb

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2009, 09:36 pm »
When you say the mouse click is coming through the speakers, I assume you mean through the USB port and through your DAC? (not through some internal speaker in the PC, or your old speaker setup which you said was disconnected from the sound card)

In that case, it sounds like you may need to possibly adjust the volume in the audio mixer for the application you are trying to play music with (iTunes, Media Player, Media Center or whatever).

Steve

rtate

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2009, 09:44 pm »
System sounds are coming through the dac and integrated amp(I can adjust the volume on the amp to verify)
The old speaker set up has been removed and the tower is under the desk so it's not an internal speaker.
The system sounds can get very loud but no  music yet...

srb

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2009, 10:08 pm »
On my system (Vista), when I go into the Volume Control, I have volume sliders for applications as well as file types.  In other words, not just sliders for WAV, SW Synth, CD Player, but sliders for the application as well (iTunes, Media Player & Media Center, in my case).

This may be different for your XP setup.

If it's not a volume mixer setting for the application, it may be a setting for the sample bit size/sampling rate for your device.

What happens when you go into Control Panel, Sounds & Audio Devices, Sounds tab and try to test play different sounds?  Those are all .WAV files, (which I assume the mouse click is, too) - can you play all of those?  The Windows system sounds are 16bit files, but only at a 22KHz sampling rate.

What USB DAC device are you using?  It seems funny that your device selection is for "USB Speakers"

What software player are you using and what file type, bits and sampling rate are you trying to play?

Steve

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2009, 10:45 pm »
Make sure the player software is pointing to your USB sound card. Either explicitly, or set the USB to be the default sound card.  Your music player may stillbe sending to your old sound card. 

Also, don't forget this is windows, it may need a reboot to make changes take effect, even XP needs a nudge now and then. You could also disable the previous sound card altogether using device manager. Then any sounds can only come through the USB (default).

Sliders and mutes in the windows sound mixer sounds like a good thing to check too.  You'll get it!

rtate

« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2009, 10:49 pm »
The different sounds all work fine...
My Dac is made by Hot Audio Products it is called a "DAC Straight"
I have sent an e-mail to Hot Audio but have not received a reply yet.(it's only been a couple of hours)
I am using SoftSqueeze for my player and I'm not suyre about the sampling rate...
All the sliders are at 100% and mutes off..
How would I check to see if Softsqueeze is pointed at the usb dac??

I-Tunes and Windows media player both work fine so it must be the Softsqueeze player
What should I check there???

rtate

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2009, 11:06 pm »
I got It!!!
I did a restart of the PC and now all is ok!!
I think I just need to reboot the Squeezecenter.

Thanks for all the Help!!

srb

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2009, 11:11 pm »
Also, don't forget this is windows, it may need a reboot to make changes take effect, even XP needs a nudge now and then.

There you go!

The forest for the trees and all that.  I was thinking next we would replace your surface mount DAC chip!  ;)

Steve

richidoo

« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2009, 11:14 pm »
HA! That's great!!  :thumb:

Now you can enjoy your new DAC!

rtate

« Reply #11 on: 9 Jul 2009, 09:25 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys!!!
I am really enjoying my new gear!!

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 9 Jul 2009, 11:30 pm »
Glad you got it worked out, NOW you can really leverage your PC for tunes across a couple of systems!