D200's with Arcam AVR300

darthkringle

D200's with Arcam AVR300
« on: 15 Apr 2009, 03:18 pm »
Hoping you guys can help.  I recently acquired the D200's to power my mains while using my Arcam AVR300 as the preamplifier.  I hooked up the amps using the L and R pre outs of the receiver, and my bass is cut in about half from the Arcam.  This makes no sense to me at all as the Arcam is only rated 100WPC.  I have gone through every receiver setting that I can think of.  I run my mains full range for 2 channel and when I hook the speakers back into the Arcam amps, BOOM, my bass is back.  No other settings have changed.  The funny thing is outside of the Bass, the new amps sound INCREDIBLE.  More spacing, more detail....Great, but I cannot handle the loss of bass.

The D200's are connected with Tributaries interconnects into the D200's using Dusty's XLR to RCA converter as the D200's have the balanced connection but I don't think that would matter.

Is this a problem with my Arcam as a Pre Amp?  Is it possible it powers it's internal 100 watt amps better than an amp twice as powerful?  Makes no sense.

Thanks for any help guys.  I really want to keep these.

richidoo

Re: D200's with Arcam AVR300
« Reply #1 on: 15 Apr 2009, 03:50 pm »
Check to see if you have bass management engaged. Sounds like you have a high pass filter blocking low frequencies to the D200. Make sure the outputs you are using (front left/right) are set to "Large speakers, or better yet disable bass management altogether if possible. Check the manual:
http://www.arcam.co.uk/_ugc/file/avr300e_manual.pdf

The output impedance for the preamp stage is 600ohms, going into D200's input impedance of 100kOhm, so even high capacitance interconnects should not pose a problem as severe as you are describing.

You got some nice gear man!

darthkringle

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2009, 04:19 pm »
So I have the Stereo Mode to run mains as large and bypass the sub.  Although a crossover does still appear in the bass management menu.....Is the easiest way to test this to run in Direct Mode and see if the difference disappears?

Thanks so much for the response.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 15 Apr 2009, 04:27 pm »
"Stereo" in most receivers means bass management, because most people use Sat/Sub speakers and bass management is required to crossover to the sub. Direct mode is what you want, so that the full range signal passes without EQ, and to keep the DSP cooties out of your music.
I direct is the ticket for you
Rich

darthkringle

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2009, 12:56 am »
So in Direct Mode there was absolutely no difference, which helped me establish that the amplifer is functioning correctly.   My issue appears to be that I have to turn the volume up much higher with D200's hooked up than I do without.  The amp gain on the AVR300 is 31 db and the D200s are 26db.  Logic would dictate that I adjust the volume up by 5 db and would be even right?  Anyway, once I turn the volume up to near max on the Arcam, the bass output is better with the D200's then without but again I am having to use nearly all the volume on the Arcam.  Would I be better served with the 32db version of the D200's?  Do you guys know if that is something Dusty can change for a fee I assume?

Thanks tons.

PhillipC

« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2009, 02:07 am »
Try adjusting the sensitivity of the analog inputs.  Normally they are set at 2V.  Try changing it to 1V.   

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2009, 02:40 am »
I think I remember reading this morning in the manual that there are also trims for each input on the Arcam. You might be able to increase the gain of your source component using Arcam setup.

Get a bass test track from realtraps.com to make sure you can hear the low bass frequencies like 40Hz. Audacity is free and can create sine wave samples.