Affordable$$Audio May Issue

Affordable$$Audio

Affordable$$Audio May Issue
« on: 2 May 2007, 03:32 am »
The May issue of Affordable$$Audio is now available for free download at www.affordableaudio.org.
Thanks for reading and making A$$A such a success.

The dead links have been fixed, it's been a long day!
« Last Edit: 2 May 2007, 04:24 am by Affordable$$Audio »

frustrated

Re: Affordable$$Audio May Issue
« Reply #1 on: 5 May 2007, 11:25 pm »
I went thru your May issue and read the review on the speakers.  I enjoyed what I saw and I will be back.  It looks like you are reviewing products that intersect my areas of interest. I also have a Lite Dac which I like.  I appreciate your hard work to make this happen.
Howard :)

Affordable$$Audio

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2007, 01:51 am »
Thanks Frustrated.  One of my goals is to highlight smaller companies that provide cutting edge equipment at reasonable prices.  Having the AC forum has really opened us up to the fine vendors that participate on this board.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2007, 02:57 am »
Way to go, Mark  :thumb:  You, and your erstwhile competitor here at AC that joined the same time, have been real breaths of fresh air  :beer:

PhishPhan

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2007, 03:38 am »
Good stuff.

I found your review of the Tyler Audio mini monitors particularly enlightening. There's mention of a review of the Tyler Audio Taylo's. Do you happen to know which month it's in? I have a pair myself and would interested in reading what you guys thought of it.  aa

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2007, 10:16 am »
I've owned Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's from early on and love them.  As DF stated, the design obviously focuses value on the inside.  Its refreshing when a manufacturer places form before aesthetic.  As your reviewer stated, tone is where good sound starts and these have it.  (Too often audiophles focus on the more "critical" aspects of the sound which lead to listener fatigue and loss of musical interest.)  Secondly they image like champs (an audiophile prerequisite IMO).  They recently have taken up permanent abode on the front left/right channels of my HT system with a CBM-200 for the center channel with a Hsu VTF-2 powered sub that was purchased with the 170s. 

Satellite/sub combinations and these speakers in particular with their inside emphasis make for a great way to get into audio for younger listeners with smaller budgets living in small dorms or with paper-thin apartment walls.  As in my situation a 2.1 system can be expanded to a complete HT system years later.

I wonder how the CBM-340SE compares to the CBM-170SE as the 170SE apparently still uses the recessed tweeter from the original 170 (which with 4 boys around and these going in the "family" room was an important consideration). 

Fustratingly there isn't a single professional review of the 170SE.  As with most product lines, the lion's share of attention goes to the top-of-the-line model, even though I suspect that in this case (like most things in life) 98% of the attributes are available for 2/3rds the price and (in this case) half the size.  Hopefully A$$A can offer a follow-up comparo with the 170SE.

Zero

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2007, 02:29 pm »
Phish - Thanks!  :thumb:  The super mini's were my first glimpse into the Ty-house sound. Suffice to say; I now have this urge to hear his larger speakers! Meanwhile, here is Brad Mitchel's review of the Taylo Reference Monitor -  http://www.affordableaudio.org/TayloRefMonitors.pdf

JLM,

Once upon a time, I owned a pair of CBM-170's. Even though its a speaker that has been in production for a number of years, it is still an incredibly capable monitor at its current price-point. They sport an even keeled frequency response that gives them a transparency most speakers in their range lack. There are a lot of things to love about the CBM-170's, whether its their minimalist approach - their open and spacious sound - their easily accessible pricing. Like most speakers though, the sound is not for everyone. When it comes to the long term side of things, I felt that the CBM-170 is a "love it" or "hate it" type of speaker. Maybe not as extreme as say, Klipsch - but just enough to warrant it being said. Naturally, I too would love to see the 170 get some light in the sun.. its a design that deserves it.

PhishPhan

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2007, 03:43 pm »
Thanks for the link. I couldn't have said it any better than Brad did. Nice work.

clarke68

• http://www.robinsononline.com/clarke
« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2007, 07:02 pm »
I wonder how the CBM-340SE compares to the CBM-170SE as the 170SE apparently still uses the recessed tweeter from the original 170 (which with 4 boys around and these going in the "family" room was an important consideration). 

Fustratingly there isn't a single professional review of the 170SE.
From my chats with Dave F., the goal for the 340SE was to be sonic match to the 170SE, but with higher output capability (for use in larger rooms, etc.).

I also find the dearth of recent professional reviews of Ascend's products rather odd, but what it shows is their popularity is almost entirely word-of-mouth, which is a good sign. Also, considering the careful attention to testing/QA that Ascend gives every unit that leaves their warehouse, I'm not sure a higher volume of sales is really something they're looking for.

clarke68

• http://www.robinsononline.com/clarke
« Reply #9 on: 7 May 2007, 07:04 pm »
Anybody having any trouble downloading the May issue?

I've heard a few reports of people getting errors using Acrobat versions 6 and later on the PC. Let us know if this is happening to you!

Cacophonix

« Reply #10 on: 7 May 2007, 07:35 pm »
I tried downloading the May issue on my home PC (Adobe 7) last week, and couldn't open it.

Castaway

« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2007, 04:24 pm »

Once upon a time, I owned a pair of CBM-170's. Even though its a speaker that has been in production for a number of years, it is still an incredibly capable monitor at its current price-point. They sport an even keeled frequency response that gives them a transparency most speakers in their range lack. There are a lot of things to love about the CBM-170's, whether its their minimalist approach - their open and spacious sound - their easily accessible pricing. Like most speakers though, the sound is not for everyone. When it comes to the long term side of things, I felt that the CBM-170 is a "love it" or "hate it" type of speaker. Maybe not as extreme as say, Klipsch - but just enough to warrant it being said. Naturally, I too would love to see the 170 get some light in the sun.. its a design that deserves it.

Ascend has a great product for the price, maybe unbelievable for the price. Put the 170SE in a nicely veneered cabinet and put a $1,000-1,500 price tag on them they would receive a whole lot more attention.

I enjoyed reading David Fabrikant's philosophy on design. But his stance on marketing may be to his company's detriment. Many superior products have been put out of business by lesser products with better marketing.

richidoo

« Reply #12 on: 16 May 2007, 12:47 am »
Hey, I like your magazine. I like the way the site looks and the reviews seem simple and to the point, with direct comparisons of similar products by name and pros and cons of the product. An honest critique - imagine that?! Congrats. I looking fwd to reading the rest of it.
Rich