New 1801s - not entirely happy (yet)

27ph

Re: New 1801s - not entirely happy (yet)
« Reply #20 on: 28 Nov 2006, 07:52 am »
OK, so my friend came by and we started an evening of listening. He has known my old speakers for many years and like them, not because they are accurate, but because they are very listenable (is that a word?) with the type of music that we usually hear. He owns B&W himself, but a newer more accurate type.

He said right away that the 1801s sounded better, even before we did the A/B.

After the testing and a lot of music I was also convinced. The 1801 simply are better. I just needed a reference. Hearing is a subjective thing, you know.

My friend was quite surprised with the bass capabilities of the 1801. One of his only comments were that snare drums sounded a little thin. He would like some more depth/extension in that area. Other than that he was happy. Even CDs were he expected the B&Ws to win, the 1801 won him over with the amount of detail in the top end.

The DM640 still remains the king (in my home) for reproducing rock and such at party levels. Thats what they do best. The 1801s are my new everyday speakers and I am sure I will come to appreciate them even more as they (and me) ar broken in.

vH pH

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #21 on: 28 Nov 2006, 02:26 pm »
All,

I apologise for not being attentive  :duh:.  This morning I read this string for the first time.  Being Mr. Mom is quite a pervasive endeavor, but I am happy doing it  :) .

It... looks like things have been worked out by the general community.

The only additional snippet I would like to add is my subjective comment regarding the bass of the 1801.  I generally avoid self aggrandisement, and these comments will reflect this.  While it is acceptable and tonally correct, the W18 doesn't have world class bass.  On my subjective scale from "1" (terrible) to "10 "(sublime), the W18 is a "5".  Bass guitar's are very present, and so is a kick drum.  However, neither have excessive slam or articulation.  IMO, the SS8545 reamins king of the bass reproduction for all midbass drivers, and this driver will provide much more pleasing results if bass is the nexus of the listener's habits.

Strangely, last week I listened to some Stevie Wonder music on some ACI Jaguar's on very good source gear at a friends home.  This system sounded extremely good and I really enjoyed the music.  In my youth I spent hours listening to Songs in the Key of Life, and recall the music quite well.  On the ACI Jags this music continued to sound profoundly good.  The music has funk and drive IMO.  Having a speaker that produces better bass is desirable.  Certainly the Jag's SS8545 has this.

I also would like to convey some laudatory remarks for Mike D. at ACI.  I now fully understand why he has been so successful for so long.  The guy can build and design a very competent speaker  :thumb:.  I have heard many loudspeaker implementations using the SS84545, and believe Mike's was the best.  I obviously didn't have all of these speakers in the same room for comparison, but to my recollection, Mike's Jaguar 2000 sounded at least marginally better than any of the previous implementations.  //  I also understand why he no longer sells this speaker (I think?).  The jaguar's cabinet construction is extremely complex!  Obtaining tightly clamped joints would be very difficult.  Minimally, this cabinet would be extremely time consuming.   I believe the commercial cost for such a cabinet would easily be double the cost of a decent rectangular cabinet.

Anyhow, back to the original subject....  Thanks to all for your contributions while I was being Mr. Mom.

Dave

27ph

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2006, 02:35 pm »
All,

I apologise for not being attentive  :duh:.  This morning I read this string for the first time.  Being Mr. Mom is quite a pervasive endeavor, but I am happy doing it  :) .

Thank you for your input. BTW I start my tour of duty as Mr. Mom in January.

vH pH

David Ellis

« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2006, 03:29 pm »
Thank you for your input. BTW I start my tour of duty as Mr. Mom in January.

Are you going to be a full-time Mr. Mom?!  It's a very enduring job - not necessarily difficult, but one that requires constant attention to get the job done right. 

I remain in the USAF, but have a shift work job.  When not on-shift, I do the Mr. Mom thing when my wife works.  Fortunately, our recent family addition (5 months old) is very well tempered and fairly easy going.  He only cries when hungy, poopy, or sleepy.  There are times when he has a desire to be held too, and this is healthy.  I am very thankful that he isn't like our 1st boy.  That little guy cried 3-5 random hours per day.  I spent many nights walking back and forth in the hallway patting him on the back, then followed with patting him while he fell asleep on my chest in the recliner 8) .  These are fond memories, but I am much happier with content infants.

Hey, is your bride still pregnant?

Dave

27ph

« Reply #24 on: 28 Nov 2006, 03:45 pm »

Are you going to be a full-time Mr. Mom?!

Nah, just three weeks maternity leave. The rest I will leave to my wife.

vH pH

fajimr

« Reply #25 on: 28 Nov 2006, 04:13 pm »
Nah, just three weeks maternity leave. The rest I will leave to my wife.

isn't that paternity leave???  not to focus on your English (I can't even say 'hello' in Danish) but to highlight the fact that you live in a civilized country where they give the father leave also.  congrats on the new baby... I am sure your speakers will come in handy for those soothing moments (for you, mother, and baby)...  cheers, jim

27ph

« Reply #26 on: 28 Nov 2006, 05:11 pm »
isn't that paternity leave??? 

Sounds right. In Denmark we use the same word for both, even though it strictly is valid for the mom only.

Anyway I am glad that the 1801s are elevated quite a bit (60 cm stands) so it will take a while before junior can reach the shiny phase plug :)

vH pH

David Ellis

« Reply #27 on: 28 Nov 2006, 08:38 pm »
This is going to sound strange but.... Given that you bride is still pregnant, I highly recommend getting he some good/big  headphones for the baby.  Use 2-3 tracks of music. I think anything will do fine, but do believe that "good" music is better than rock-n-roll.  I think Brahms and complex classical may not be discernable through the mom's tummy.  I think something with a smooth vocal flow would be very nice.  I am 100% confident that Baby's remember sounds present when they were a fetus. 

I think that a developing fetus brain will benefit from hearing something other than a heartbeat and respiration all day long.  Our boy's are all doing very well, but the 4 year old is amazing.  He memorized 1 Corinthians 13 when slightly past his 4th birthday :thumb:.  I was extremely proud when the 6 year old managed this, but completely amazed when the 4 year old also managed this - and with very little help :D.  The 4 year old also spontaneously managed some addition and subtraction at the breakfast table last week.  We have only taught him to count.?  The 4 year old had headphones on mommy's belly as a fetus.  The 6 year old did not.

I fully understand this is waaaay off topic, but I do believe that exposure to music is beneficial for the fetus.  I also am very confident that the baby will remember those sounds.

Dave

David Ellis

« Reply #28 on: 28 Nov 2006, 08:45 pm »
Anyway I am glad that the 1801s are elevated quite a bit (60 cm stands) so it will take a while before junior can reach the shiny phase plug

Actually, the 1801 is a child-resilient speaker.  I have personally experienced the following:

- Orange juice will wipe clean with a damp cloth.

- The shiny phase plug will tolerate all manner of children's fingers.  If a child pokes or punches the phase plug, only the child will get damaged.

- If the tweeter dome is depressed, the dome can be sucked out with a vacuum cleaner with no loss of measured or audible response.  This is because the tweeter has no ferrofluid to be removed from the gap.

- I have some crayon on my cones, but the it's appearance is dull after rubbin with a damp cloth.

I have experienced all of these things with great joy  :) .  At age 4 & 6, my boy's no longer touch my speakers.

Dave