Anyone used Bolder M-80's with 1801's?

randog

« on: 9 May 2003, 04:17 pm »
Has anyone used the Bolder M-80 speaker cables with 1801's?

Randog

Al Garay

« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2003, 02:55 am »
Randy,

I'm very happy with Alphacore Goertz MI-1 speaker cables... same as used by Jackman.  In fact, I bought one of his sets. Dave Ellis also highly recommends them. Ask Jackman if you want more details.

They are very thin, which makes them easy to conceal.  Contact Dr. J at Soniccraft and ask him for technical explanation and for prices. The Alphacore terminations are also very good. I'm glad I have banana plugs for the speaker posts and spades for my amps.

I can't wait till Darren finishes my speakers.

Al

randog

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2003, 03:54 pm »
Al,

OK, I'm sold. Any reason why you like bananas over spades on the speakers? Any reason why you like spades over bananas on the amps for that matter?  8)

Randog

Al Garay

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2003, 04:13 pm »
Hi Randy,

Darren is re-finishing my speakers. He did the cabinetry and I did the finish. He felt my finish work was not up to snuff... it was my first try. And I think I learn from my mistakes. Most people thought it was not that bad... it's just not as good as Darren can do. Though, I'm hoping to have them by the end of this month.

As far as connectors, banana plugs are SOOOooo much easier to take off and on. Of course this is just personal preference. And you will find purist who will argue till death that spades offer the best contact. Well, the best is no connector at all. But that does not look really attractive.  I thank Jackman for the banana plugs. Since, I bought his cables already terminated ... it was a no braner.

The reason I have spades for my amp connectors is because my DIY AKSA amps do not work with banana plugs. And I'm not taking those off/on as often.

As far as brand, I don't think I would sweat too much between Alphacore, Cardas, Vampire or WBT. And for your surrounds, consider going with no connectors. That will save you a bundle.

Al

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2003, 04:48 pm »
I have tried good Cardas spades, raw wire, Dayton Bananna plugs, and other stuff too.  I don't hear any difference.

I prefer the bananna plugs because they are very easy.

Dave

jackman

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2003, 03:21 am »
I use the Bolder M80's with the Ellis (IC's) and really like them.  I preferred Zu Wax speaker cables to the M80 cables but the M's were pretty darn good, better than the Goertz cables I tested them against.  The Goertz were pretty good also.  Much of the harshness I originally attributed to the Goertz was caused by the other electronics that have since been replaced by Van Alstine components.  I wish I had tested the Goertz with the AVA gear.

J