Hot Headphone Deals!!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hot Headphone Deals!!
« Reply #120 on: 21 Nov 2016, 10:25 am »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #121 on: 22 Nov 2016, 05:20 am »
Bargain $199 planar, open back or closed back:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16051

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #122 on: 22 Nov 2016, 05:41 am »
Initial impressions I've read seem a bit wonky, but these should offer up good modding potential.

dB Cooper

« Reply #123 on: 22 Nov 2016, 01:58 pm »
Bargain $199 planar, open back or closed back:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16051

Interesting; apparently there is (or will be) a $299 model also. Worth keeping an eye on. Even if these turn out not to be 'world-beaters', they may bring a 'trickle down' effect to lower the price-of-entry to planar technology, which would be a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #124 on: 22 Nov 2016, 06:24 pm »
Yes there is a $299 bigger model(out of stock),
btw very nice angled model, similar to Audeze:
http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16050

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #125 on: 24 Nov 2016, 02:33 am »

Wig

« Reply #126 on: 25 Nov 2016, 09:52 pm »
Several places have HD600 on sale and will pick me up a pair tonight; anyone have Bottle-head Crack up for sale?

Wig

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #127 on: 25 Nov 2016, 09:57 pm »
At least look an HD650, i dont think this price is lower than an HE planar.
Unless you dont like the rich planar sound.

Wig

« Reply #128 on: 25 Nov 2016, 10:23 pm »
I've read that the HD600 is the most neutral and can add an amp later. Are the Planar better sounding? This is my first audiophile headphones and don't have the opportunity to compare them.

Wig

cujobob

« Reply #129 on: 25 Nov 2016, 10:29 pm »
I've read that the HD600 is the most neutral and can add an amp later. Are the Planar better sounding? This is my first audiophile headphones and don't have the opportunity to compare them.

Wig

I would say that yes, Planar are better sounding. They can respond more quickly than dynamic drivers and with less distortion. Obviously, design comes into play with how a headphone sounds, but as far as the technical side is concerned...yes, planar is generally superior. The HE400I on sale right now are probably the best deal around by a long shot.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #130 on: 25 Nov 2016, 10:39 pm »

Wig
Mine in this HE400 old model, very hamonically rich sound as a tube amp and not neutral as the HE560 and it delivery lots of SPL w/a CD player not need a amp.
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he400-refurbished.html
To my personal taste dynamic HP sound sterille to my ears.

brooklyn

« Reply #131 on: 25 Nov 2016, 11:21 pm »
I would say that yes, Planar are better sounding. They can respond more quickly than dynamic drivers and with less distortion. Obviously, design comes into play with how a headphone sounds, but as far as the technical side is concerned...yes, planar is generally superior. The HE400I on sale right now are probably the best deal around by a long shot.

I bought the HiFiMan HE400i’s on sale last year at this time and never looked back. In my humble opinion
they sound wonderful hooked up to a Schiit Modi Dac and Graham Slee headphone amp. If they are on sale
again, it would be worth it to give them a try.. 

cujobob

« Reply #132 on: 25 Nov 2016, 11:30 pm »
Mine in this HE400 old model, very hamonically rich sound as a tube amp and not neutral as the HE560 and it delivery lots of SPL w/a CD player not need a amp.
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he400-refurbished.html
To my personal taste dynamic HP sound sterille to my ears.

I had the HE400, they hurt my ears. I understand the new model improves on that harshness. I just want to put this out there as it was very well known.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #133 on: 25 Nov 2016, 11:33 pm »
I had the HE400, they hurt my ears. I understand the new model improves on that harshness. I just want to put this out there as it was very well known.
What new model you refer 400I or 400S?

rbbert

« Reply #134 on: 25 Nov 2016, 11:34 pm »
Wig, I've had the HD 600 for many years, and they are a nice 'phone especially for the price.  But I'm not sure if you want the two of us to have the same 'phones as well as the same speakers LOL.

Music Direct has the HD 800 for $999, just over half price

cujobob

« Reply #135 on: 26 Nov 2016, 12:34 am »
What new model you refer 400I or 400S?

I was referring to the HE 400I, sorry. I haven't looked into the 400S all that much.

*Scotty*

« Reply #136 on: 26 Nov 2016, 02:00 am »
My wife bought me a HIFIMAN 400s for my birthday and I added a set of HIFIMAN Focus A earpads to them and I am very happy with the sound they produce. I think they do need about 100 hours of break in before they will show what they can do.
 YMMV
Scotty

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #137 on: 26 Nov 2016, 02:59 am »
Here is a long run HE400 test 900-1200 hours and he compare the 400 to the original Orpheus and K701:
http://www.theaudiophileworld.net/2013/08/the-hifiman-he-400-entry-reference.html

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #138 on: 26 Nov 2016, 02:38 pm »
I've owned the sennheiser 600s and 650s. The hifi man 400i blows them away.  At the sale price of $250 it's a no brainer. 

If for some reason you are committed to sennheiser, mass drop has a deal on them.

dB Cooper

« Reply #139 on: 26 Nov 2016, 03:18 pm »
So they need to run > 30 days around-the-clock to break in? Not sure I have that kind of patience.

I am still leery of Hifiman as forums are full of tales of design and QC issues.