the old Classic IPOD ,,,please help

2bigears

the old Classic IPOD ,,,please help
« on: 25 Nov 2011, 09:53 pm »
 :D  hi everybody,wondering if you can put music in these lossless.... 800mb per cd ..   That should keep the sound better ??   160GB  you can put your 1000 cd's in no trouble ?? :D

srb

Re: the old Classic IPOD ,,,please help
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2011, 10:08 pm »
You can put lossless files on your iPod.  Your 160GB would be a bit less in actual formatted capacity.  Each album will not be a full 800MB, the average album may be around 600MB - 650MB or even a little less.

If you use an uncompressed lossless file format (WAV, AIFF), you might be able to store ~ 250 CDs.  If you use compressed lossless files (Apple Lossless or ALAC), that would probably use around 60% - 65% of the space of uncompressed files, so you may be able to store ~ 400 CDs.

Theses are rough ballpark estimates.

Steve

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 25 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm »
 :D    thanks Steve,,good stuff.... not sure it's worth it to do this on a carry device.... good ear buds is the next option to help out i guess ....   Pat    :D

chrisby

« Reply #3 on: 25 Nov 2011, 10:22 pm »
how many do you really need on what's designed as a portable player?

I use an old 30G for loss-less file storage with a Kenwood car deck that has direct digital input via USB- sounds great, and if I ever get tired of the 962 songs, I'll just reload.

As Steve notes 160G would be,  gee,  lots of music in ALAC.  If that's not enough and you want just storage,  maybe something like a WB 500GB drive formatted for MAC if you need - these are not much bulkier than an iPhone.   

And "good" (aka "audiophile grade") ear buds can easily cost more than the iPod.

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2011, 10:25 pm »
It depends on which iPod you're talking about. I've owned quite a few and some sound excellent while others are ehhh...

For a portable player, I recommend picking up a Sansa Fuze to most people...sound quality is good, but not incredible, the battery life, SD slot, small size, and drag/drop ability make it a winner.

As for the iPods, which is yours? you say old...that could mean any number of things. The iPod Classic from the last few years I've heard good things about, the very old (like when the iPod video or whatever it was) didn't sound amazing. The iPod Touches are also pretty good.

I have settled in on using 320 KBPS MP3 on my Fuze, but for years went nothing but WAV files (very large). The sound quality difference on a portable device between those two formats is very hard to detect. I use JH13 Pros (from JHaudio) which are very very high quality IEMs. The sound of the player moreso makes a difference vs. the sound of the difference between 320 KBPS and WAV.

I've never done any 'official' AB testing on this, so I could be wrong..maybe I just haven't realized what I was missing.

Edit:
Oh whoops, missed the 160 GB thing...you have a fairly good sounding player, my apologies.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2011, 11:37 pm »
 :D Thanks guys... It's just Apple has 40 bucks off and free engrave on the touch,so i was wondering if the Classic 160GB is still a good buy or for sale price 350.00 just get the big 64GB Touch as its does so much more....The Classic is a Juke Box and that's it ....  two different machines.... :D

JfTM

« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2011, 11:54 pm »
I bought a 120 GB video iPod a few years ago just to use as an audio device.  I have over 400 CDs on it ALAC.

Hope that helps

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2011, 08:32 am »
I bought my 160g classic iPod in 2009 and I have about 7000 songs on it, 98% of which are in apple lossless. Needless to say, it's maxed out :)  Whenever I want to add something new, I have to uncheck something in iTunes before I sync.

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2011, 03:45 pm »
 :D  7000 songs with Apple lossless is good enough for me.... its a walk-about juke box for sure....think this is the way i will go .. it's cheap too..   :D

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2011, 06:19 pm »
:D  7000 songs with Apple lossless is good enough for me.... its a walk-about juke box for sure....think this is the way i will go .. it's cheap too..   :D

I was considering converting them down to 128kbs on the iPod so I could fit my whole collection on there, but they have digital direct docks now, where if you use one of those and bypass the iPods circuitry, you can have portable lossless files available to you at all times :D

Crimson

« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2011, 07:34 pm »
Just to add, you can also plug an iPad right into (most) USB dacs with the optional camera connection kit. Works great as a portable 'server'.