My neighbor visited yesterday and asked , "Where is the middle speaker?"

Nuance

In my own experience, my soundstage, imaging and separation was greatly improved when I acquired speakers with ribbon tweeters.  Although, they have limited vertical dispersion compared to domes, I find the realism sometimes startling, without ever being harsh or strident.

Steve
+1.  Funny how that works, eh? 

As far as vertical dispersion goes, you shouldn't notice the difference with a ribbon unless you stand up (or sit too close), and I don't often do that so it's all good.  I love a well integrated ribbon!

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
IIRC, the LCY's vertical dispersion is almost comparable to a dome.

Srgtfury

My Ht3's are just "spot on," as regards music sound stage in 2 xhannel from the Arcam 600, but what is intriguig is, with no cinema or music processing selected in the AVR and listening to a sound track from a DVD movie, how frequently the sound stage seems wider and higher and even frrther back (seemingly behind the listening position) than the physical placement of the 2 speakers.  All this in an acustically terriblle room without acoustic treatments.  We were watching "State of Play" last night and "She" commented alternately on the helos above and the car pans L->Right far and away outside the physical speaker placements.

Thank you very much
Fury

srb

My GR Research Diluceos use the Aurum Cantus G2 tweeter which is one ~ 2-3/4" long ribbon.  Looking more closely at the LCY tweeter, I see it splits the ribbon into two half-length side-by-side elements, with superior vertical dispersion.

The LCY sounds like the hot ticket in a reasonbly priced ribbon tweeter!

Steve

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system

My GR Research Diluceos use the Aurum Cantus G2 tweeter which is one ~ 2-3/4" long ribbon.  Looking more closely at the LCY tweeter, I see it splits the ribbon into two half-length side-by-side elements, with superior vertical dispersion.

The LCY sounds like the hot ticket in a reasonbly priced ribbon tweeter!

Steve

The LCY and G2 are fairly close in price. I think that Jim decided to use the LCY because he could place the midwoofers in the HT2 closer together with the LCY tweeter than with the G2 tweeter that is used in the HT1 and HT3.  Notwithstanding, IIRC, the LCY has greater vertical dispersion than the G2 because of the horn loading with the shorter ribbon.

Srgtfury

Of course not...

Oh, forgot to mention the bells..

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
The LCY may have slightly superior vertical dispersion due to its shorter height, but the G2 has superior horizontal dispersion because it's narrower.  The LCY only has one ribbon element, although it is slit over most of the height.  The importance of modest vertical dispersion limitations, either pro or con, is very controversial.  As far as I can tell from comparing designs with either ribbon, it's pretty much a non-issue.  And yes, Jim did go with the lcy in the MTM's because it allows closer spacing of the woofers.