Audition Salk speakers

jss16jss

Audition Salk speakers
« on: 17 Sep 2009, 11:58 pm »
I live in the Baltimore area.  I would like to actually hear one or more of the various speaker lines before I plunk down my hard earned, etc. etc.  If anyone out there in that great unknown is willing to put with a brief home invasion at a mutually agreeable time, please respond.  My wife would say I am mostly housebroken.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: Audition Salk speakers
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2009, 12:40 am »
Hi   If a 50-minute drive to Bethesda isn't too long for you, I would be happy to let you listen to the Song Tower domes, the new HT1 TL's, the HT4 12" and HT4 10", and perhaps one non-TL HT2 and one HT3, although maybe not the last two together.  I'm not sure I have quite enough drivers. 

mr_bill

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:19 am »
Dennis,
Are we ready to see the new HT1 TL?
How does it sound?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:24 am »
Dennis,
Are we ready to see the new HT1 TL?
How does it sound?

I think Jim has had his hands full with other projects, and he hasn't signed off on my design.  So it's a prototype.  But it sounds good to me.  Not very sensitive--that's the trade-off when you're using one W18 woofer and it's the version that has the deepest bass reach--but watts are cheap. 

jss16jss

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2009, 02:32 am »
Hi   If a 50-minute drive to Bethesda isn't too long for you, I would be happy to let you listen to the Song Tower domes, the new HT1 TL's, the HT4 12" and HT4 10", and perhaps one non-TL HT2 and one HT3, although maybe not the last two together.  I'm not sure I have quite enough drivers.

Bethesda is just fine.  I'm new to this particular site.  Are you somehow connected to the company, or are you their biggest fan.  I go to Bethany almost every weekend when the weather is at least marginally good,  and am going this weekend.  I'll be back Monday.  Please contact me on or off line and we'll figure something out.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2009, 02:56 am »

Bethesda is just fine.  I'm new to this particular site.  Are you somehow connected to the company, or are you their biggest fan.  I go to Bethany almost every weekend when the weather is at least marginally good,  and am going this weekend.  I'll be back Monday.  Please contact me on or off line and we'll figure something out.

Hi  I like to think I'm the biggest fan, but I also designed all of the crossovers.  So don't expect any objectivity from me.  Or any hard sell (it's only a hobby for me).    Just lots of prototype speakers in raw mdf and a volume compensated A-B-C-D preamp that will allow you to compare various speakers instantly.  Let me know when's good for you.   

jss16jss

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2009, 03:10 am »
Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.  If you are available in the early afternoon, that would be best for me so I can beat the traffic driving home.  I'll bring some of my best Command and Audio Fidelity records with me and Arthur Lyman's Quiet Village.  Maybe some Spike Jones.

jss16jss

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2009, 03:34 am »
Actually, as I was brushing my teeth, I think Martin Denny did Quiet Village on Liberty Records.  Arthur was on some audiophile label.  I'm too tired and/ or lazy to dig thru my albums to check.

Nuance

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2009, 05:17 am »
Have a great audition, jss16jss!  Dennis is one of the coolest guys around, and he's an audio/electronics genius.  I think you'll have a good time, whether you like the speakers or not.

Do let us know how it goes.  Enjoy!

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2009, 01:11 pm »
I live in the Baltimore area.  I would like to actually hear one or more of the various speaker lines before I plunk down my hard earned, etc. etc.  If anyone out there in that great unknown is willing to put with a brief home invasion at a mutually agreeable time, please respond.  My wife would say I am mostly housebroken.

If you need to hear HT2-TL's I'm about 4 hours (as per Google Maps) away in NYC.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2009, 04:08 pm »
it's the version that has the deepest bass reach

Dennis:

How deep?
 :D

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2009, 04:23 pm »
it's the version that has the deepest bass reach

Dennis:

How deep?
 :D

Technically, the f3 for the HT1 TL and the HT2 TL may be the same or very similar.  But the two woofers in the MTM HT2 will not have to work as hard for a given spl, and the harmonic distortion is no doubt lower at a given frequency deep in the bass range. 

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2009, 06:27 pm »
as I was brushing my teeth

Good hygiene is a requirement for Salk ownership!

Not just anyone is permitted to buy Salk speakers, you know. I just slipped through without anyone noticing. :D