Double Hallelujah !!!! 1st set of Revs hiking up to Canada

2bigears

:D  Man-O-Man,this is just like having a baby !!!! Soooo many things to do and lots to worry about.I have heard too many trucker stories.Thks Bob for your hard work and help on the matter,and a thks to Roger for the starting deal.Fingers and toes crossed for a few days now till that 500 lbs skid pulls up,then cigars and champagne for all.... :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Double Hallelujah !!!! 1st set of Revs hiking up to Canada
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2008, 11:13 pm »

......................Cool !!! :dance:

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2008, 06:58 am »
 :D  Chris,thks for that sweet veno....that's like 240.00 a jug !!!! Well the speakers are in house,Yellow Transport did nice,fast work getting the 500 pound pallet to my door.All boxes in good shape.Bob does a good job boxing the speakers so little to worry bout' there.The external x-overs are very nicely done and the speakers are same.Workin' nights this weekend so will power them all weekend to set them in.Should have a listen Monday afternoon or so and they should be sounding better.Just from a few songs this afternoon,these speakers are a design taken from old world,and with modern drivers they song very smooth so far.Lots of tuning to come yet.Should be able to live with these for a while for sure  :D  Not to much to say yet,but i am sure these speakers have some sweet music just ahead........ :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2008, 10:07 am »
Good to see they arrived in safe condition Pat....nice !!! :beer:

Set them up...turn them on....and let them run.... :rock:

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2008, 10:19 am »
:D  Chris,flowers up in the big city yet ???? I am not sure how long the x-overs take,but it can't be that long.I think Bob has something here with these speakers.Detail,smoothness with no brightness.I quess a week steady runnin' and the x-overs should be settling down to a high percentile of speaker capabilities. :D

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2008, 10:24 am »
:D  Chris,flowers up in the big city yet ???? I am not sure how long the x-overs take,but it can't be that long.I think Bob has something here with these speakers.Detail,smoothness with no brightness.I quess a week steady runnin' and the x-overs should be settling down to a high percentile of speaker capabilities. :D
Since you'll have them awhile....they will break in...and how's that bass... :hyper:

As for the weather....a rainy day here....but I've seen some flowers starting to peak up from their winter sleep.....12 days till Spring.. 8)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2008, 03:03 pm »
Pat, As one of the only other known eternal crossover Rev owners, be patient.  The external crossovers take a good 600 hrs to break in, maybe longer (assuming Ultimate Mundorfs).  The speakers sound good out of the box, but don't reach SOTA proportions until after break-in.  Enjoy.  They are world-class transducers of the first order.  :thumb:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2008, 03:17 pm »
Well the speakers are in house,Yellow Transport did nice,fast work getting the 500 pound pallet to my door.All boxes in good shape.

Yo Pat,

Finally got your speakers safe and sound huh?  :hyper: Congrats.

Sounds like you finally got the shipping thing all worked out.  :thumb:

Cheers

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: 8 Mar 2008, 04:18 pm »
Pat.....
I forgot to ask..please take some photo's when you get a chance....thanks !! aa

mca

« Reply #9 on: 8 Mar 2008, 04:19 pm »
Pat,

If you don't have it already, track down the IsoTek System Enhancer CD. It has done wonders helping me break in my Omega speakers  :thumb:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 8 Mar 2008, 04:27 pm »
Pat,

If you don't have it already, track down the IsoTek System Enhancer CD. It has done wonders helping me break in my Omega speakers  :thumb:

Good point.  When not listening actively I used track 9 of the XLO Test & Burn In CD, and put it on repeat (via SB3...so as to not needlessly wear out Modwright TP tubes).  It doesn't need to have any listenable volume level, just signal.  Any higher volume level will, of course, help break in the physical side of things (speaker surrounds, etc.) but those happen much more rapidly than the damn Mundorf caps.

Double Ugly

« Reply #11 on: 8 Mar 2008, 06:25 pm »
Pat, As one of the only other known eternal crossover Rev owners, be patient.  The external crossovers take a good 600 hrs to break in, maybe longer (assuming Ultimate Mundorfs). 

Pat ordered the standard crossover pieces and parts, but had them housed in external enclosures for ease of upgrading.

IMHO, the standard crossover is so good that he may not think there's much to be gained with upgrading.  Though a direct A/B comparison is out of the question, perhaps you'd like to offer your perception of the differences, Ted.  I wouldn't mind knowing how you think they differ myself.  :D

Enjoy.  They are world-class transducers of the first order.  :thumb:

Absolutely correct IMHO.  The seamlessness of the crossover/driver integration, the openness and clarity of the presentation and the realism afforded the listener is unparalleled in my experience.

And, of course, the bass is absolutely to die for.  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #12 on: 8 Mar 2008, 06:33 pm »
And, of course, the bass is absolutely to die for.

Just watch the volume (great bass)....the speakers will be OK....but you might cause rock slides.... :lol:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 8 Mar 2008, 06:58 pm »

Pat ordered the standard crossover pieces and parts, but had them housed in external enclosures for ease of upgrading.

IMHO, the standard crossover is so good that he may not think there's much to be gained with upgrading.  Though a direct A/B comparison is out of the question, perhaps you'd like to offer your perception of the differences, Ted.  I wouldn't mind knowing how you think they differ myself.  :D

Jim,
I cannot compare; I've never heard the standard in any comparable context (a few hours at Steve's During RMAF, months apart, different music, different system, different environment...doesn't qualify).  Knowing how well Bob is able to squeeze the majority of the Revs sound into the Minis, I would not be surprised to hear that the Standard Mundorfs are 90-95%+ of the Ultimates.  Those last few percentage points are very costly, and likely only a highly controlled a/b would uncover them.

Double Ugly

« Reply #14 on: 8 Mar 2008, 07:20 pm »
Thanks for the input. 

I suspected as much, but it's always good to hear from someone who's heard both.

FWIW, the difference between the Revs and the rest of Bob's line-up is the T-line bass... period.  Due to his adherence to the design principles and approach which produced the first SP Technology speaker, the remainder of the presentation can be found in everything from the Mini to the Continuum 2.5. 

Still, even after having owned two versions of the Timepiece for years, the quality of the T-line bass is sufficient justification for upgrading IMHO.  As well as the other models handle the lower octaves, the Revelation's T-line puts them on a whole 'nother plane.

YMMV... :wink: