SuperBit RE

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
SuperBit RE
« on: 6 Jan 2003, 01:17 am »
Well, wouldn't you know.  I ordered the SuperBit version of "Resident Evil" from Amazon last week because the local BB didn't have it, and of course I checked today and now they do have it.  And I still haven't received mine yet.  I should have it by Monday, at least.  I damn near bought it anyway!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
SuperBit RE
« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2003, 07:17 am »
Well, just finished watching the new Superbit Resident Evil.  I can safely say that it stomps a mudhole in the original versions' ass and walks it dry.  I can safely say, watch the extras on the original once and then 86 it for the SB.  The sound isn't really much improved, interestingly enough, but the picture is F'ing phenomenal!

I can see I'm going to have to get all of my faves that are available on SB; I have a few, but I can see I'll have to get "The Patriot", "The Fifth Element", and a few other choice releases.

Hmmm...wonder if Spidey is on the way?

bubba966

SuperBit RE
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2003, 10:02 am »
Damn! I'll have to be picking up the SB RE when my next unejoyment check comes while it's still on sale around town.

I didn't find RE to look bad at all in the first place. If it's looking better now...

I could use a few more SB discs myself. I would like to pick up Snatch, Anaconda, & RE. I've already got Fifth Element, The Big Hit, Hollow Man, & Panic Room.

Unfortunately Spidey isn't on the list of the next 7 SB titles due March 4th. :evil: I wish they'd hurry up and crank the damn thing out. But as I'm still seeing an enormous amount of Spidey's at retailers around town I'm betting they're going to wait a bit longer until most of that's been sold before the gove Spidey the SB treatment.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
SuperBit RE
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2003, 07:09 pm »
Funny you say that, I thought the original RE looked good at the time, too.  My brother was a little skeptical that there was room for improvement, but after it was over we threw in the original to compare it, and we were both floored by how "bad" it looked, compared to the SB.

Yeah, I admit a 2nd disc of extra woulda been nice.

Have you, uh, seen "Anaconda"?  I'm a fan of cheesy, bad flicks, but even I thought Anaconda was a REEEAL stinker.  Just about the only thing that would have made me give it one star would've been a little skin from Wuhr, but we didn't even get that!

Hollow Man I actually enjoyed, despite reading that it was awful.  A SB version of that would be cool.

The Patriot is high on my list of SD discs to get, really loved it.  It seemed to me (haven't watched in a while, so going from memory) that it was a near-reference-level disc to start with, bet the SB version is fantastic.

I didn't really care for the Big Hit, but it wasn't too bad.  I missed Panic Room.

BTW, w/flicks like "Anaconda" & "A Knights Tale" out on SB, I gotta ask:  who the hell is picking what gets the SB treatment, and just what the hell are they basing the decision on?  Can't be sales or critical acclaim! :wink:

bubba966

SuperBit RE
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2003, 04:25 am »
After checking a half dozen places that usually sell SB titles, I managed to find a copy of RE. Though it was $27.95... :cuss:

But I wanted it tonight, so $27.95 it was.

Selected DTS and started it up. Can say that the minimal menus & lack of DTS "warning" on the SuperBit discs is definitely a bonus. After about 5 minutes one of my roommates came downstairs & asked me if I could turn it down a bit. She rarely does that. But RE is a bit... loud. :mrgreen: I only had it at my usual listening level (-15dB). :oops: But the LFE is fairly intense, and even upstairs & across the house it can still be felt with authority.

But I decided that rather than turn it down (as that just wouldn't be any fun) that I'll just watch it tomorrow when no one is around. :D

Yes, I have seen Anaconda. Yes I do frequently enjoy cheese that most people don't care for. But I've been in no hurry to pick it up because, yes, it really wasn't that great.

The Big Hit got better with subsequent viewings I thought. And it looks great in SB. Sounds quite nice as well. Will have to pick up an LD to compare to the SB version at some point.

Hollow Man did look great to begin with. Make it a SB Deluxe and it's all good. :wink:

Panic Room looked pretty good. Is the only SB to not have had a regular version. But the sound mix was a bit dissappointing compared to Fincher's last effort.

Forgot to mention that I'm also planning on picking up The Mask Of Zorro, Desperado & Johnny Mnemonic.

I know what you mean on wondering "who in the hell picks the SB titles?". Gattaca, Vertical Limit, Anaconda, Johnny Mnemonic, and A Knight's Tale all make one wonder "who smokes crack at Sony?".