Top Gun Maverick

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Top Gun Maverick
« on: 28 May 2022, 02:34 am »
Saw it today in IMAX.

I must say, for a sequel, they killed it.

Outstanding.

See this movie on the biggest screen and very best sound-system you can find.

I think they hit it out of the park. What say you? :thumb:

AllanS

Re: Top Gun Maverick
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2022, 05:02 am »
I can’t wait.  We’re going to see it on Tuesday.  I was not far removed from regular duty Navy when the original came out.  The smell of JP and the thunder of the big Cats getting tossed off the pointy were still fresh memories.
I read yesterday that Cruise required all the pilot actors get some real FA18 seat time (at $11K an hour) so they knew exactly what it feels like.  Apparently Cruise needed a dozen sorties.

AllanS

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jun 2022, 05:41 am »

I think they hit it out of the park.

Worth every minute of the 36 year wait. 

Tarheel

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jun 2022, 10:50 am »
Saw it yesterday.  Never a fan of the original or Tom's singing but the sequel was excellent.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jun 2022, 10:53 am »
I can’t wait.  We’re going to see it on Tuesday.  I was not far removed from regular duty Navy when the original came out.  The smell of JP and the thunder of the big Cats getting tossed off the pointy were still fresh memories.
I read yesterday that Cruise required all the pilot actors get some real FA18 seat time (at $11K an hour) so they knew exactly what it feels like.  Apparently Cruise needed a dozen sorties.

I was in the Navy on the USS Enterprise when they filmed Top Gun. They made us go out to sea so we could film the sequences on the carrier.  Many were excited that Tom Cruise et al. were there.  (Personally, I had no idea who he was back then.  Don't like him now, but I do watch his movies.  Even my kids like the original Top Gun.)

gene9p

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jun 2022, 03:05 pm »
Just saw it in IMax yesterday. Very exciting and entertaining. Hard to beat the original but this was damn good. See it in Imax if you can or at least the biggest screen theater you can get to. Highly recommended!!!!

Manta Ray

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2022, 04:49 pm »
I saw it on Sunday. Enjoyed it very much. I saw the first one in theaters when it came out and was amazed at the experience. I think the sequel is even better. I liked Tom's introduction, talking about the film and what's gone into it this time around. It's a big thumbs up for me.

mcgsxr

« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2022, 05:01 pm »
Enjoyable for the family, we all went to the theatre Sunday afternoon to catch this one.

Perhaps only the parents tuned into the various callbacks from the first movie, but as others have stated it stands on its own for the most part.

Engaging, and entertaining.

FireGuy

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2022, 09:47 pm »
I too witnessed a few weeks back a rather enjoyable TG part two.  Serving duty on two carriers (Midway & Constellation) ... there are many anomalies relating to carrier and squadron ops but that was no barrier to good time.  F14 btw was one hell of a front-line fighter for its time.  First hand witness of this plane's cat and trap was pure adrenaline.

AllanS

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2022, 02:45 am »
First hand witness of this plane's cat and trap was pure adrenaline.
Oh yeah!  I never tire of flight ops.  I always worked nights and loved spending time perched on vultures row watching the show.

Folsom

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2022, 03:19 am »
Plenty of very fictional things… Bar owner who owns car that has appreciated more than any real estate… jets doing close range combat (no “dog” fights have happened since before I was born, whoever gets someone else on radar launches a missile from miles away and game over, never even see it), etc.

I still enjoyed it. For remake/sequel 10/10. A few parts were… predictable so as a movie it was decent, not a 10. Seriously loved the lack of contrived woke garbage.

FireGuy

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2022, 12:29 pm »
Oh yeah!  I never tire of flight ops.  I always worked nights and loved spending time perched on vultures row watching the show.

Onboard Midway watching "the show" was an awesome, esoteric experience in that ship's crows next.  Went there as many times as possible.  The F4 delivered the most rush.  Heat, noise and vibration was incredible.

whell

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2022, 03:26 pm »
My 17-year-old daughter and I went to see it last night.  Several times during the movie where the viewer needs to "suspend disbelief" and remember that it's a work of fiction, but it was a fun 2 hours.  Two big takeaways for me:

1) I thought it was better than the first Top Gun.
2) My daughter is now madly in love with Miles Teller. 

Jon L

« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2022, 05:11 pm »
What's amazing is the main love story between a 59 and 51 year-old, the latter of whom must be a vampire :scratch: