Can't wait... new Member in Philly

dB_Cooper

Can't wait... new Member in Philly
« on: 17 Apr 2022, 03:14 am »
Hey guys, just dropped by to introduce myself as I'm going to be new to the Omega family soon.  The last few years (mostly Covid's fault) I've gotten back into audio.  Ripped my entire CD library to lossless during the early days of Covid because I realized that a lot of my digital music was still 128kbps back in the Napster days.

I was looking for something better sound than what was on my computer's motherboard and it quickly escalated from there. Discovered the rabbit hole that is high end digital audio and well, here I am.  Last year I moved out my 3000 sq foot rural home and downsized into an 1100 sq foot condo. Had to rethink everything and I've replaced ever single audio component I had just a short 8 months ago as part of the downsizing. Less is more approach since I have a 12 X 10 room now that has to serve as my work from home office and listening space. 

Current setup is an LTA Ultraliniar + integrated amp and a Weiss 502 DAC that I'm using as a headphone rig (ZMF VC) until my Omega speakers get here.  Went the full custom route with a Junior 8 XRS cabinet for space reasons but instead opted for an Alnico 6.5 driver and a sub. Will post pictures when they get here, but for now a quick intro and it's good to have a place to ask questions.  Space is tight, placement will be critical but I've prepped the space as best I could for now.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2022, 09:08 pm by dB_Cooper »

dB_Cooper

Re: Can't wait... new Member in Philly
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2022, 08:59 pm »
Should have included this last night as part of the introduction.

Dako

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2022, 12:09 am »
Welcome to AC db.

You will enjoy those Omegas. Be patient during break in.

Always wondered if I should have went with the Alnico drivers after reading so many good things about them. But I am extremely happy with my Super 8’s and have no desire to change.

Keep us updated on the status.

Dave

dB_Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2022, 01:02 pm »
Took a while and I've finally broken them in. Some "modification" along the way which have helped to tighten things up even more and given the speaker a hell of a stable platform to do their thing.

« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2022, 06:32 pm by dB_Cooper »

Dako

« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2022, 11:23 pm »
Looking good dB. Finish is similar to mine. What is the name of it? Omega’s are one hell of a speaker. What mods have you done?

Dave

dB_Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2022, 02:06 am »
To be honest, the wait was so long I've forgotten the name of the finish! lol Pictures don't do it justice though there's a three dimensional quality to it under certain angles that's mesmerizing.  No mod, just worked to add a plinth a 17 lbs chunk of granite I had made and then the vibration absorbing risers.  Both helped to tighten up the bottom end and they also make the speaker rock solid (pun intended) with a lot of stability. No way to tip them over.

Holygeezer

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2022, 01:46 am »
The finish should be listed on the back label. At least that is how my Super 3XRS came. Enjoy your Omega's as Louis is a master of his craft in both sight and sound.

dB_Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2023, 01:21 pm »
After about a year of Omega ownership, I'm leaving the family. Not because of didn't love these speaker. They've scaled spectacularly as I've continued to upgrade my source gear. They scaled further still with a set of Gaia III feet, and most dramatic of all was how they took to running with a pair of Omega Mikro speaker cables. Those are my lessons learned.  They've paired wonderfully with my LTA UL+ integrated.  Anyone interested they're currently listed for sale on USAM.  Sticking with the single full range high efficiency driver design.  Peace!

PS: give them at least 100 hours to break in, they'll continue to improve up to 200 hours of break in.

Kray

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2023, 08:02 pm »
@db_cooper

tell me more about the Omega Mikro​ speaker cables. Still use them??

Kray

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2023, 08:02 pm »
After about a year of Omega ownership, I'm leaving the family. Not because of didn't love these speaker. They've scaled spectacularly as I've continued to upgrade my source gear. They scaled further still with a set of Gaia III feet, and most dramatic of all was how they took to running with a pair of Omega Mikro speaker cables. Those are my lessons learned.  They've paired wonderfully with my LTA UL+ integrated.  Anyone interested they're currently listed for sale on USAM.  Sticking with the single full range high efficiency driver design.  Peace!

PS: give them at least 100 hours to break in, they'll continue to improve up to 200 hours of break in.

tell me more about the Omega Mikro​ speaker cables. Still use them??