OB SUBWOOFER?

AUDFILE74

OB SUBWOOFER?
« on: 29 Jul 2019, 02:18 pm »
Hello I was wondering  if you guys will be adding a subwoofer back into your lineup?  I remember  you had a couple and was looking for the chance to hear them.

vondy

Re: OB SUBWOOFER?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2019, 07:14 pm »
I would love to see a sub and center channel from Spatial. I know Clayton had mentioned a center but have yet to see one for sale.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2019, 07:48 pm »
Hello I was wondering  if you guys will be adding a subwoofer back into your lineup?  I remember  you had a couple and was looking for the chance to hear them.

We are looking at the idea of a subwoofer introduction in 2020.

Clayton

wjt3

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2019, 01:14 am »
I wonder if you pulled the wires off the comp drivers of the M3 Triodes- would you not have a set of big subs on your hands???? Anyone try this? I was thinking of one amp on the "Triode Subs" and one amp on the M4-- I wonder-=-

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2019, 03:40 pm »
wjt3 has me thinking.  I currently have a pair of GR Research dual servo 12" OB subs and a pair of Spatial Audio M3TM speakers, with a pair of Spatial's X5 on order - arriving hopefully in a month or so.  When they show it will be easy to set the M3TMs as another pair of OB subs.  Maybe do a maxi swarm set-up.   Hmmmm.....

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2019, 05:01 pm »
wjt3 has me thinking.  I currently have a pair of GR Research dual servo 12" OB subs and a pair of Spatial Audio M3TM speakers, with a pair of Spatial's X5 on order - arriving hopefully in a month or so.  When they show it will be easy to set the M3TMs as another pair of OB subs.  Maybe do a maxi swarm set-up.   Hmmmm.....

With the X5, you might not need any subs.

And doing a swarm with OB subs is a bad idea.  A swarm works because it excites the maximum number of room modes, while OBs work by minimizing the number of room modes.   So a swarm is best with box subs. 

You could sell the speakers and subs and buy some extra amps, I bet the X5 is awesome to roll in amps with different presentations.  I know I do that in my systems, I have 4 tube amps and 1 SS amp that I rotate through, it's quite fun.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2019, 07:02 pm »
The plan is to sell the M3TMs a bit later.  I intend to keep the subs forever.  I built them and they became so heavy as I added layers to build up a 1 1/2" outer wall  that the job became joyless.  They are probably the last large job I'll undertake as I'm cruising into my mid-70s.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2019, 07:11 pm »
The plan is to sell the M3TMs a bit later.  I intend to keep the subs forever.  I built them and they became so heavy as I added layers to build up a 1 1/2" outer wall  that the job became joyless.  They are probably the last large job I'll undertake as I'm cruising into my mid-70s.

Then I'd put the OB subs near the main speakers.  As close as possible, especially if you can run them so there's little/no overlap in the frequencies that they cover.  Overlap will tend to cause cancellation/reinforcement issues. 

wjt3

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2019, 07:31 pm »
Glyn-- whats your thoughts on my idea?? Can I just pull the connections to the comp driver and let them play without harm?  thanks

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #9 on: 28 Aug 2019, 04:04 am »
Will work, but due to crossover will have a higher cut-off than most subs.  More accurately called a woofer.  Will probably interfere negatively with main speaker - everything that sounds like fun turns out to be bad.

wjt3

« Reply #10 on: 28 Aug 2019, 12:29 pm »
Thanks Glynn-- correct-woofer not sub- what was I thinking--