Awesome looking, Jay!

These are the new Gold Standard, I think.  :wink:

They'll be nicely broken in  when you guys   visit  :O

jay

SteveKi

Re: NX-Otica kits are ready to ship.
« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2016, 11:18 am »
Well, the day has arrived

Used  a bundle  of Sonicaps  for the 100 uF  group in the mid filter along with a  Alpha Core Foil Inductor, an extra .1 uF Gen Ii bypass cap on the  shunt cap  in the mids,  and platinums on the  high pass.  Also   wired  to  bi-amp  with the 4 ch Dood/Richie prototype amp. The other little change  with these is we used the M165X -16's in the lower section (already had these on hand) and the standard Neo 3 PDR tweeter (no resistor needed to pad  slightly)

Perma grin  :green:

jay

Jay,
Do you have the NoRez installed on these? If so can you put up a picture from the back with NoRez installed.
TIA,
Steve

Guy 13

« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2016, 11:30 am »
Jay, those are really nice looking.
Of course picture(s) of the back would be interesting to see.
Thanks.

Guy 13
By the way, you drive those with what ????

Captainhemo

« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2016, 05:27 pm »
Steve, I've only installed the no-rez in the lower section so far.
My cabinets used early prototype braces so  there were a couple issues that have been fixed for the  production runs (braces now have 2  larger holes, one on each side for wiring).  I only had 1 small hole in the corner to pass the wiring through, it was not adaquate. The spacing of the braces makes it pretty much impossible to drill an additional holes at this point so I had to run  the  woofer and mid woofer leads through the  large brace cutouts. I did  drill a second hole in the top brace so was able to pass the  tweeter and mid  woofer wiring through those .
Once  the  inside wall at the top is  covered in no rez,  the wiring will all but disappear aside  form the leads running across to the terminals.

The included cross over boards fit  perfect between the no rez, they can be  secured with just one or two  screws, the no rez keeps them in place and they are sitting on small  rubber feet.

Guy,  these are being driven  by a Dodd/Richie protype amp, abouit 8  extremely linear wpc  (4 ch) with a Dodd variable gain pre  (both battery)  :thumb:

jay

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #26 on: 28 Mar 2016, 05:38 pm »
I'm sure this is a redundant question, but long wing to inside or outside.

Captainhemo

« Reply #27 on: 28 Mar 2016, 06:25 pm »
I'm sure this is a redundant question, but long wing to inside or outside.

Full wing to the inside

jay

Edit:  No one caught the major error above huh (it can be seen in the last pic) ?   What a difference now that it's been  corrected !!
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2016, 08:48 pm by Captainhemo »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 30 Mar 2016, 02:20 am »
I take it you are talking about the two negative wires on the top M165? Phase shift?

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #29 on: 30 Mar 2016, 03:18 am »
I take it you are talking about the two negative wires on the top M165? Phase shift?

Mike

Nope, those are  right  (one runs to the + on the  next woofer down to connect them in series, I could have used red but then there'd be 2 reds on the  next woofer).
Actually,  I had a buddy help me soder up the double connections (lower NQ and 2 lower woofers) . I had the wiring  just sitting there coming down from the top NQ and up from the c/o, I guess he goofed and  wired the lower NQ   "out of phase".
I knew something was wrong, the right channel semed thin and also seemed to have less output.  After some investigating, I discovered   the error
What a difference  now... and we thought they sounded good   before  LOL !!

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 30 Mar 2016, 03:28 am »
I see that in your picture now.  :nono:

Captainhemo

« Reply #31 on: 30 Mar 2016, 03:33 am »
I see that in your picture now.  :nono:

Yup, it is a game changer
In an Arnie voice  " Don't  Do That" !

jay

bernardo

« Reply #32 on: 13 Apr 2016, 11:08 am »
Jay-
The Dodd/Richie prototype amp, about 8 extremely linear wpc (4 ch) you mention in your post above - is this something recently developed? Danny had mentioned something to me a while back in a PM about the possibility of something like this in the works so curious if this may be it.   

Danny Richie

« Reply #33 on: 13 Apr 2016, 02:42 pm »
Jay-
The Dodd/Richie prototype amp, about 8 extremely linear wpc (4 ch) you mention in your post above - is this something recently developed? Danny had mentioned something to me a while back in a PM about the possibility of something like this in the works so curious if this may be it.   

I had someone working on this for me, but they seem to have stalled on it. I might need to find new hands to place it in.

Captainhemo

« Reply #34 on: 13 Apr 2016, 05:16 pm »
Jay-

Yes, this is one of the early ones Danny and Gary had done I know the  production model Danny speaks of  above  was  going to be a little more powerful but  this little guyis pretty  amazing, it's more than enough  for  99.9% of all my listening.

I do hope Dany finds the right hands to continue on with this venture, would be cool to see  :thumb:

jay

mirekti

« Reply #35 on: 29 Jul 2016, 03:32 am »
How wide is the sweet spot?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 29 Jul 2016, 03:45 am »
How wide is the sweet spot?

If they are anything like the Wedgies, once you have them dialed in the "sweet spot" covers the majority of the room in front of the speakers even way off axis.  The best way I can describe it is to imagine you have a large 3 person sofa with the speakers dialed into the center position. Now add an arm chair on each end of the sofa. The sweet spot covers all of these positions.

Mike 

mirekti

« Reply #37 on: 29 Jul 2016, 12:21 pm »
The best way I can describe it is to imagine you have a large 3 person sofa with the speakers dialed into the center position. Now add an arm chair on each end of the sofa. The sweet spot covers all of these positions.

I want them!!! :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 29 Jul 2016, 12:27 pm »
I want them!!! :)

I have them for sale.

mirekti

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jul 2016, 01:42 pm »
I have them for sale.

No in the market right now, but looking closely at them. Thank you.
I would prefer this version of the box. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139529.0

I am also a bit confused which tweeter is in the NX-Oticas, some use a dome tweeter some something that looks like Neo3.
Does the dust cap in midrange drivers have to be bronze in color?