A few A/V-1 questions

ziggy

A few A/V-1 questions
« on: 7 Aug 2006, 11:16 pm »
I'm interested in buidling a pair of modified A/V-1 speakers, and have a few questions about them.

I am planning to build them for use as high end computer speakers (including some use for recording monitoring using a pro-level external sound card).  Because of space and location constraints, I'm considering making them sealed enclosures.  I remember seeing a post about making them sealed, which said that for sealed enclosures, the volume should be smaller.  My question is how much smaller, and in which direction(s) is it best to decrease the size?

I also need an amp to power the speakers, and have been looking at various tripath kit amps, mostly the ones from 41Hz.  I'm considering making the speakers active monitors, but to get a reasonable amount of power, bi-amping seems like it would be the best way to go.  Plus, the kits are stereo amps anyway.  So, has anyone ever made these speakers using bi-amping and an active crossover?

For a bit of background, I am an electrical engineer, so the electronics work is now problem at all.  I also do woodworking, so I should have pretty much all of the tools that I need.

Thanks,
Jim

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: A few A/V-1 questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2006, 12:39 pm »
Sorry for the late reply,

You can cut the air space down to .2 cubic feet sealed.

I'd keep it ported though. If you have to place it near a rear wall then you can always port it out the top.

I have been using a Sonic Impact T-amp with my computer system and it has worked out pretty well. It doesn't have a lot of power but then again the speakers are not very far away.

Since the A/V-1 uses a series network then bi-amping is out of the question.