What to do, what to do....

JoshK

« on: 30 Apr 2003, 12:05 am »
Ah, the ol' situation of sitting on a fence.  I am at the crossroads for choosing an arm for my teres table.   I really have about $600 to spend.  My top two choices for arms are either an RB900, for which I have an incognito wiring kit, a heavyweight and an expressimo arm stub to bring the RM900 up a level, or sell the heavyweight, wiring kit and arm stub and get a OL Silver tonearm.  

Does anyone know exactly what 'structural mods' are done to the rb250 in the OL silver besides the counterweight & arm stub upgrade?  I think they replace the arm toob and rewire.  Is that all they do or is their more.  If that is it, it seems like it would be a better choice to go with the RB900 considering I have most of the parts for upgrading this arm already.  

Any other considerations?

Beezer

« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2003, 12:41 am »
Josh,

I have the Origin Live Silver and the only parts it has in common with the RB-250 is the stand and cueing lever - new armtube and headshell, bearing, stub and counterweight.  On my Nottingham Interspace it was a big step up from the OL fully modified RB-250 - more detail, better extension on both ends, blah, blah, blah.  It doesn't have the best fit n' finish IMO, but it is a great performer.  The guy I bought it from switched to a Bluenote Borghese unipivot arm, which I'm considering getting for the 2nd arm mount on the Interspace coupled with a solid LO MC cartridge (Denon DL103D maybe).  I'm using a Clearaudio Virtuoso on the Silver.

Vinyl fever!

Beez

Marbles

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2003, 03:16 am »
Josh,

It might be better to pick the cartridge you want, then match the arm to it.

I believe it is the cartridge/arm combo that can make magic.

I have heard good things about the Denon MC cartridges and the Shelter 501.

There is a guy that was on Agon selling Rega arms for 50% of retail just a few weeks ago.  When I spoke to him he had a bunch left.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2003, 11:07 am »
I have the cart, its a Dynavector 20xh.

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2003, 04:41 pm »
Upon doing a lot more investigation I think I ruled out SME but added JMW.  I am thinking if I could find a reasonable price on the JMW 10 then it just might be a top contender.  It is so hard to know what to do as it is basically impossible to compare.

KeithR

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2003, 05:10 pm »
What about the new Graham Robin?

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2003, 06:50 pm »
Keith,

Yes, yet another unspoken option.  I hear it is great but I don't really like the thought of detachaeble headshells on such low current wiring.  It can only harm not help the sonics.  However, the overwhelming concensus has been that it is a champ and favored to the JMW-9, modded RB250 and SME 309.  

However, there is a big part of me that thinks I should just do with the modded RB300 I have until I save up the extra $$ for a Morch UP-4.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2003, 05:38 am »
I would post this question in Audiogon and let Tom Lawrence (TWL) answer the question.  He's really good w/ analog and a Teres owner.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2003, 03:45 pm »
Thanks everybody....I found a good deal on a Morch (Moerch) UP-4 and had a lot of experienced vinyl addicts tell me it was one of probably the best arms out there, especially for the money.  As soon as I sell my P3 and other stuff I am ordering one.  

Anybody looking for a Rega P3 in basically mint condition with a RB300 arm with incognito wiring, expressimo heavyweight and VTA adj'r?

WorldWind

• http://www.bobsbrain.com
« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2003, 06:28 pm »
Sweet... :mrgreen:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2003, 07:02 pm »
As if the Teres didn't look cool enough already  :o