Schiit Vidar2 Monos or Tyr's for Brutes?

Presb4

Re: Schiit Vidar2 Monos or Tyr's for Brutes?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2023, 04:40 am »
The Tyr Mono Blocks arrive tomorrow via FedEx.....
Dang, I'm going to have to take the afternoon off from work so I can be at home and sign for them when delivered. I'm sure my boss will understand  :lol:

KTS

« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2023, 12:17 pm »
The Tyr Mono Blocks arrive tomorrow via FedEx.....
Dang, I'm going to have to take the afternoon off from work so I can be at home and sign for them when delivered. I'm sure my boss will understand  :lol:

Lol, now that is passion for the hobby! I resemble that remark. Congratulations!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2023, 04:31 pm »
Hope you’ve been eating your spinach.  Each one weighs as much as a case of copy paper.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2023, 05:03 pm »

Lol, now that is passion for the hobby! I resemble that remark. Congratulations!

I always have the package held at a local facility if FedEx or UPS so I can go by and pick it up. When I don't do that, I end up waiting around all day for the delivery then end up missing it somehow anyway.  :green:

mkrawcz

« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2023, 07:25 pm »
Can't go wrong with a pair of monster SS monos driving the Brutes.

Presb4

« Reply #25 on: 17 Nov 2023, 07:29 pm »
FedEx said they would be at the house between 10 and 2 and they showed up at 11 on the dot.

The Tyr's are unpacked and in my rack now. They are heavy, but not too bad. To be honest the hardest part was getting them out of the box as they are shipped double boxed and incased in foam blocks. Anyway, I plan to leave them on over the weekend playing in the back ground to burn in before really giving them a critical listen, but......

I can say, on start up and after only playing a few songs, holy crap, these are keepers  :dance:

The sonic differences between the Schiit Vidar 2 and the Tyr Mono Blocks are significant when paired with the Brutes.

More to come.

Presb4

« Reply #26 on: 17 Nov 2023, 07:36 pm »
Here they are. They make quite the statement.

« Last Edit: 18 Nov 2023, 05:39 am by Presb4 »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #27 on: 17 Nov 2023, 08:24 pm »
Very nice setup you have there now!  I would say the Brutes really benefit from a stout amp because they are a 3 way design.

corndog71

« Reply #28 on: 17 Nov 2023, 09:39 pm »
Looks great! 

My current but temporary living room system.

Presb4

« Reply #29 on: 17 Nov 2023, 11:41 pm »
Looks great! 

Is that a Gruny or a Yaggy DAC you have there, I can t tell? What has your experience with it been? I have the Bitfrost 2/64 which is very close to the Yaggy LIM topology and I love it.

Presb4

« Reply #30 on: 17 Nov 2023, 11:45 pm »
Very nice setup you have there now!  I would say the Brutes really benefit from a stout amp because they are a 3 way design.

My 35watt tube amp is a perfect pairing for late night chill listening, but when I wanted to crank it up the Vidar 2 seemed a little strained, apparently it was, because the Tyr's totally woke up the Brutes. I was pushing them up into the 90 db range today and the Brutes were loving the power.

Yes my Schiit stack is growing. I need to slim it back down once I figure out which components I'm keeping and which are for sale. I borrowed a friends new Schiit Kara Pre to test against my Freya + as he thinks it sounds better, so I have that in my stack as well right now.

KTS

« Reply #31 on: 18 Nov 2023, 01:38 am »
Nice setup!

Dibs on the Vidar! Lol I am running the Freya+ and I have a Vidar that I put into my system occasionally, it would be interesting to try them as mono blocks. I still in love the Aleph J.

Congratulations on a very nice setup!

corndog71

« Reply #32 on: 18 Nov 2023, 02:15 am »
Is that a Gruny or a Yaggy DAC you have there, I can t tell? What has your experience with it been? I have the Bitfrost 2/64 which is very close to the Yaggy LIM topology and I love it.

It’s an Yggdrasil+ OG or “Yggy”.  I also have their Modi Multibit 1 & 2 which are great and Modius which is ok.  Yggy is a fantastic amp. 

Presb4

« Reply #33 on: 18 Nov 2023, 04:19 am »
Nice setup!

Dibs on the Vidar! Lol I am running the Freya+ and I have a Vidar that I put into my system occasionally, it would be interesting to try them as mono blocks. I still in love the Aleph J.

Congratulations on a very nice setup!

I hear good things about the Aleph J.
I have had my Freya+ and Vidar for a couple years and love rolling different 6SN7 tubes in the Freya. But as I had the opportunity to try out the new Kara in my rack tonight, that is what I did. I can say the Freya+ and the Kara are sonically very close with the advantage going to the Freya+ due to the tube stage capability, but the Kara has a lower noise floor and handles tracks with lots of dynamics better.

AllanS

« Reply #34 on: 18 Nov 2023, 04:24 am »
Looks great! 

Is that a GCD running the Tyrs?

AllanS

« Reply #35 on: 18 Nov 2023, 04:25 am »
My 35watt tube amp is a perfect pairing for late night chill listening, but when I wanted to crank it up the Vidar 2 seemed a little strained, apparently it was, because the Tyr's totally woke up the Brutes. I was pushing them up into the 90 db range today and the Brutes were loving the power.

Yes my Schiit stack is growing. I need to slim it back down once I figure out which components I'm keeping and which are for sale. I borrowed a friends new Schiit Kara Pre to test against my Freya + as he thinks it sounds better, so I have that in my stack as well right now.
Besides everything else you’ve got going on I’ll be curious to know what you think of the Kara.

Presb4

« Reply #36 on: 18 Nov 2023, 05:20 am »
OK, so as you might have guessed it was hard to not just sit down and give the Tyr's a good listen before letting them burn in for awhile. Yup, I failed at that challenge, and have been listening to them for a number of hours tonight.

So first impressions of Tyr vs Vidar 2 when paired with the Brutes......

The Tyr's are really next level over a single Vidar 2, but keep in mind I have not listened to two Vidar's running as mono blocks, so there is that.
TLDR: The Tyr's have an "Immediacy" that the Vidar just does not have. Think driving a sports car with a V6 vs a V12, the car with the V12 is just more fun in every way.

Ok, Ok for all those that are saying, well duh.. An Amp with double the power and being a monoblock should be better. Well let me continue. Many things in this hobby are said or sold as being next level but as most of us know you quickly get to a point of diminishing return. The difference between spening 100 bucks and 1000 bucks may be 100% better in SQ, but if you sell that what every it was for a 1000 buck and buy the next best thing for 10,000 bucks its often not 100% better again. Ok, so that was a bit of a stretch but you get my point.
Well the difference between one Vidar and the Tyr's is 100% better.
The Tyr's Bass is way better. This is the biggest improvement. It is just way more controlled, faster, deeper and detailed.
The Tyr's Mids have more warmth to them than the Vidar has.
The Tyr's Treble is not as sharp as the Vidar. I dont mean it lacks clarity or detail. Its just less fatiguing than the Vidar can be. It sounds like I'm picking on the Vidar here, Im not, both Amps are very good in the Treble category, but if Tyr was a perfect 10, the Vidar would be a 9.

Now where the Tyr's leave the Vidar in the dust is in controlling fast dynamic tracks, sound stage and holographics.
Tracks with crazy fast micro details in layers can get a bit muddy with the Vidar when compared to the Tyr.
There is a part in "Drum and Bass Intro" at the 1:40 mark that gets muddy when cranked up to around 85db avg level in my system with the Vidar. The Tyr just laughed at me and said turn it up.

Sound Stage is also next level. To me the Vidar 2 always had very good imaging, the stage was wide and could have some layered depth to it. But the Tyr's take it to total emersion, everything is just more holographic. A perfect example of this is how crazy holographic this jam by Claude Salmieri can get. It sounds as if you are in the middle of the drum circle as it plays.

If you havent guessed it yet, I will not be returning the Tyr's and my Vidar 2 is up for sale  :rock:

corndog71

« Reply #37 on: 18 Nov 2023, 03:43 pm »
Is that a GCD running the Tyrs?

Yes, it is.  I had previously tried a Schiit Freya S but either I got a bad one or it was just a little too noisy for my 97 dB speakers.  I opted for the GCD because it has a unique method for adjusting volume which I found intriguing and it was on sale.  I found it incredibly transparent compared to every other preamp I’ve tried. 

Presb4

« Reply #38 on: 18 Nov 2023, 06:45 pm »
Yes, it is.  I had previously tried a Schiit Freya S but either I got a bad one or it was just a little too noisy for my 97 dB speakers.  I opted for the GCD because it has a unique method for adjusting volume which I found intriguing and it was on sale.  I found it incredibly transparent compared to every other preamp I’ve tried.

Im havening that struggle as well between the Schiit Kara and the Freya+ this weekend while I have it to demo. The Kara has a noticeably lower noise floor than the Freya+ when paired with the Brutes. The noise is not a huge issue with the Freya+ but when compared with the ultra quite Kara while turned up, and at quite moments in tracks the noise is there.

The noise is not what is the "better" or most notable "difference" though, its the resolution. The Kara resolves details better than the Freya+. But the Brutes are already detail rich and I am finding the Kara to kill off some of the sweetness I love so much that I get from the Freya+.

The Kara's increase detail is fun, but it might be a little too fatiguing as I use this system as both a HT and HiFi system. So I fear that the kara would be a bit fatiguing  after a couple hours when paired with the Brutes for movies and what not...

The Freya+ has the normal JFET buffer mode for a bit more detail, or the tube mode to add a bit of tube sweetness. Because of that I think the Freya+ still has the edge as the best all arounder for me. But I will continue to evaluate over the weekend.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #39 on: 18 Nov 2023, 07:46 pm »
What's cool is that a speaker named the "Brutes" are capable of such refinement and detail, that you are able to easily hear this in your system.