How quiet is your listening area?

Huck

How quiet is your listening area?
« on: 3 Feb 2023, 08:48 pm »
Just curious as to how quiet your listening area or room is with all gear turned on...mine is 37.0 dbA -37.5 dbA,surprisingly quiet for a pretty live 12'x24'x8' ceiling rec-room.
My other listening area for desk top computer and headphone rig is in a repurposed bedroom upstairs..37.0dbA -37.5dbA. Huck
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2023, 08:04 pm by Huck »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: How quiet is your listening area?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Feb 2023, 09:40 pm »
Anywhere from 36db to 42db, depending on if traffic is going by.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 4 Feb 2023, 12:27 am »
I'm in a fairly large basement room where I measure 27dbA if the HVAC isn't running. With the air handler running it bumps it up to 30dbA.

It helps to state which weighting you are using.

Huck

« Reply #3 on: 4 Feb 2023, 11:35 am »
I'm in a fairly large basement room where I measure 27dbA if the HVAC isn't running. With the air handler running it bumps it up to 30dbA.

It helps to state which weighting you are using.

"A" weighting.Huck

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 4 Feb 2023, 12:34 pm »
Don't have a reading, but 8ft x 13ft x 21ft basement room is well insulated including lined/insulated/flexible ductwork and insulated exterior fiberglass door with weather seals.  First few days were spooky quiet until i got used to it.  On a country cul-de-sac so no traffic noise. 

rbbert

« Reply #5 on: 4 Feb 2023, 01:36 pm »
26-26.5 dBA with door closed, 30-31 dBA with door open (assuming there is nothing especially noisy going on in the rest of the house). 

Digi-G

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2023, 01:42 pm »
I live at the end of a dead-end street, so the neighborhood is very quiet.  Especially this time of year (winter).

My room is pretty quiet (I don't have numbers) unless the furnace or a/c are running... then FORGETABOUTIT.

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #7 on: 6 Feb 2023, 02:33 pm »
Variable of course, but certainly quiet enough for critical listening and far better than what many urban dwellers have to suffer with. I just can't seem to get a measurement on the true noise floor though - it must be in my head :lol: