Soldering Question - How hot is too hot - Weller 9400PKS

HT1278

Bought a Weller Soldering gun Weller 9400PKS, when my old Weller soldering iron was not melting solder well enough anymore.

Description of Soldering Gun: 2 trigger positions - 100W and 140W produce up to 900 °F

I noticed that Danny uses a Sears soldering gun, so I thought this was the closest I could find.

While this Soldering gun melts solder etc. with ease and heats up quickly, sometimes I worry it might heat up speaker/driver tabs too much, or speaker wire connected to crossover etc.  Of course, I try to get on and off quickly. 

https://stellartechnical.com/products/weller-9400pks-universal-soldering-gun-kit-with-led-lighting-dual-heat-140-100w

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Soldering Question - How hot is too hot - Weller 9400PKS
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2023, 07:32 pm »
If the solder evaporates on the iron its too hot or not if the tech guy are fast on the job.

HT1278

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2023, 07:48 pm »
Great point!! Lol

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2023, 10:51 pm »
I use Weller WLC100, which was made in a factory about 5 miles from my house.  :thumb:
It's adjustable up to 40W which has proven to be plenty for all my audio hobby related jobs. It has knob to adjust temp as needed and I do use that for tweeters and ICs, etc. I use a 1/32" spade tip and Cardas solder. Cables, speaker posts and SMD no problem.
Gun is fine for crossovers and thick speaker posts; the power will speed up the assembly. But it's too much heat and too big tip for electronics circuits.

KTS

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2023, 11:27 pm »
Bought a Weller Soldering gun Weller 9400PKS, when my old Weller soldering iron was not melting solder well enough anymore.

Description of Soldering Gun: 2 trigger positions - 100W and 140W produce up to 900 °F

I noticed that Danny uses a Sears soldering gun, so I thought this was the closest I could find.

While this Soldering gun melts solder etc. with ease and heats up quickly, sometimes I worry it might heat up speaker/driver tabs too much, or speaker wire connected to crossover etc.  Of course, I try to get on and off quickly. 

https://stellartechnical.com/products/weller-9400pks-universal-soldering-gun-kit-with-led-lighting-dual-heat-140-100w

I have been using the Weller 550D for building crossovers and terminating speaker cable, it allows you to get multiple leads hot quickly. I also use clip on heat sinks if I am concerned about overheating a component. I use a smaller WL30 for speaker tabs, just to be sure I do not overheat the other solder on the speaker.

Vince in TX

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jan 2023, 04:00 am »
Well, I can tell you from experience that if you melt your tweeter, it got too hot.    :lol:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 31 Jan 2023, 04:33 am »
I like to use a heat sink on tweeter post.  It just adds mass before heat can reach critical areas.  And they're cheap.

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jan 2023, 02:58 pm »
I like to use a heat sink on tweeter post.  It just adds mass before heat can reach critical areas.  And they're cheap.

Yeah, I should have known better.   I couldn't find my heatsinks and got in a hurry.  So now I have a Metcal MX-5210 (since I also do electronics work) and don't have to worry about taking too long to melt the solder.  I sometimes miss the days of leaded solder.

HT1278

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jan 2023, 03:07 pm »
Thank you, I ordered heatsinks like this last night.

I was considering the Hakko FX888D soldering station at some point. 

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #9 on: 31 Jan 2023, 05:00 pm »
The Hakko is a good, solid all around performer and will serve you well, Good availability of tips too. The Weller is overkill for most jobs associated with our hobby but can be invaluable if required to heat a large mass like a ground buss or a speaker cable socket quickly.
Hope this helps.

HT1278

« Reply #10 on: 31 Jan 2023, 05:26 pm »
I was looking at a soldering helping hand like this.

Not sure how helpful that would be with crossovers, tube connectors, and speaker tabs.

https://www.amazon.com/KOTTO-Helping-Hands-Soldering-Tool/dp/B08DLGTZNZ/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3E71Q46N3Z2QC&keywords=soldering%2Bhelping%2Bhand%2Brigid&qid=1675185733&s=hi&sprefix=soldering%2Bhelping%2Bhand%2Brigid%2Ctools%2C128&sr=1-4&th=1

I ordered some locking tweezers/forcepts but I have not tried them yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GGAAPD0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2023, 06:38 pm »
I use a helping hand device like this one often:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09SNX9V1M/

Not sure how well those flexi arms on the Kotto will remain still, or prevent any movement.