RF7-III upgrade

oldman74

Re: RF7-III upgrade
« Reply #20 on: 30 Jan 2023, 05:37 pm »
Hobbs,

you weren't joking about those ports  :roll:
, they each sounded like bongos.  Applied material, dead silent now.

The tweeter is a two part design all plastic tweeter with a rubber overlay, when I pulled off the rubber overlay and tapped the corners or the edges they would ring and vibrate, so I put the rubber overlay back on and noticed that it was significantly quieter but still there.   I am aware that the 8 screws that would apply pressure back to the tweeter but I just want this silent.

oldman74

« Reply #21 on: 30 Jan 2023, 05:55 pm »
 :D

Elon's Crossovers (Thank You Elon)

compared to stock

oldman74

« Reply #22 on: 30 Jan 2023, 08:40 pm »
Down to last sheet of no-rez, saving for bottom woofer and terminal for both speakers.

oldman74

« Reply #23 on: 5 Feb 2023, 06:01 am »
Soldered, and thank you for the extra length.  Yeah messed up on two.

Question 1.). Why are all the images I see show all the internal wire twisted, better cable management ?
Question 2.). Dad really pushing for the spade connectors soldered to the end of the wire,.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 5 Feb 2023, 06:15 am »
Twisting the wire helps to prevent RFI, EMI, and crosstalk from other wires.

The tin push-on connectors should be avoided unless you plan to get back into the speakers on a regular basis. Soldering directly to the drivers will get you the best quality connection.

oldman74

« Reply #25 on: 5 Feb 2023, 09:17 pm »
Pulled the wire back out, twisted as recommend.

Question 1), when getting ready to wire up to the speakers, do I need to keep all wire runs the exact same length, on the pair?

Question 2 ) would dyna mat be overkill on the woofer baskets?

Thanks You

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 5 Feb 2023, 09:38 pm »
1) They don't need to be exact, a difference in a few inches will make no difference.

2) You certainly can, they're just a cheap, stamped-steel frame, so knocking out any ringing isn't a bad idea. I did that with my personal pair of 600MII, and when I upgraded a pair of Spica TC60 for someone else. The woofers are pretty small compared to the RF7 III woofers, so there should be some good improvements especially for the midrange.

oldman74

« Reply #27 on: 7 Feb 2023, 12:46 am »
Just arrived, USPS is really slow lately.

oldman74

« Reply #28 on: 8 Feb 2023, 11:06 pm »
Went with the original planned posts as those AECO were slightly magnetic 🧲

oldman74

« Reply #29 on: 8 Feb 2023, 11:14 pm »
This actually worked, proved that I need room for treatment.

oldman74

« Reply #30 on: 9 Feb 2023, 12:34 am »
Been listening for about two hours so far, music " to me" appears more detailed, bass has been improved, imaging still great, detail all around really.  Sitting on the carpet or walking sounds the same, that should speak volumes right there.

Do anyone know if there is a break-in for crossovers?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 9 Feb 2023, 01:21 am »
The Sonicaps in the tweeter circuit need about 200 hours, the rest are in good shape by the 50-100 hour mark.

Just let them play 22 hours a day at any volume with 2 hours of rest each day for 7- 8 days and you're good to go.

With the original crossovers, their best measured response was when the mic was at the upper woofer height, the upgrade makes them much more consistent over a really wide area.

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 9 Feb 2023, 06:00 pm »
Went with the original planned posts as those AECO were slightly magnetic 🧲

We use those tube connectors for a reason. They are a much better connection and allow for a cleaner sound top to bottom.

Theeraponk

« Reply #33 on: 17 Aug 2023, 03:56 pm »
Hi oldman74
Been reading this topic a while
What is the end result of this upgrade after burn in?
Is the upgrade make this speaker audiophile standard.?
Thanks you for sharing your progress.

hagels316

« Reply #34 on: 18 Jan 2024, 09:51 pm »
Been listening for about two hours so far, music " to me" appears more detailed, bass has been improved, imaging still great, detail all around really.  Sitting on the carpet or walking sounds the same, that should speak volumes right there.

Hi oldman74
How do the RF7s sounds now after a complete break-in?   Also was curious to know how you mounted each crossover in the bottom speaker chamber.  Did you use short screws/nails to do?  My only concern with doing this upgrade is how to actually mount the crossovers in the chamber without going too far into the cabinet wall.  Thanks.

hagels316

« Reply #35 on: 18 Jan 2024, 09:55 pm »
You've got a big journey ahead of you, but the feedback we've gotten on them after the upgrade has been really positive.

Hi Hobbs,

Curious to know about some of the feedback.  Have folks reported that this upgrade does improve the mid range somewhat?  I believe Danny mentioned in the upgrade video that there is some smearing going on in the mid range.  And does this upgrade tame the tweeter a bit making it have a more linear in response?  Thanks.