Is it me or an old age 'thing'?

WGH

Re: Is it me or an old age 'thing'?
« Reply #20 on: 18 Jan 2023, 09:57 pm »
...wide variety of new music available since installing the streamer.More percentages of 'bad' recordings.

It's not old age, it's the music. Making a recording is a lot easier today than it was when we were young, bedroom recording studios now are everywhere. Back in the '60's and 70's the record companies and producers acted like gate keepers. Now anything goes and with computer generated play lists, anything gets played. I still don't understand the fascination with rap and hip-hop, that is definitely an age thing.

Instead of streaming, I listen to KXCI, a local commercial free community radio station. KXCI has real live DJs 24/7. They play a hand picked curated playlist of new and old music and is where I discover new artists. At first much of the new music is 'bad' but eventually I 'get it', it takes time to retrain my brain. Back in 1985 one DJ always played "Oh Yea" by Yello, I hated that song. Now Yello is one of my favorite bands. It helps that the DJs pick the best tracks from the most promising new artists. The station gets 100s of new albums that are listened to by volunteers, sorted by genre, auditioned again by the DJ and only then maybe played on air. But that still doesn't mean I'll like it.

KXCI still plays a lot of 'bad' music but then the next song is 'good'. Sometimes it is just me, I'm in a mellow mood when the DJ wants to play an entire 20 minute set of head banging hard rock. Whenever I get an album from a new artist I'll sit and listen all the way through, my love for new music hasn't diminished at all.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 18 Jan 2023, 11:02 pm »
So,are there other listeners like me that have no music patience,or is it an old age 'thing'....I never really did have any patience,so maybe that's it...no patience is getting worse?!! :scratch: Huck
+1 Great statement. I have never had patience with bad music, most of the music that comes on the market is garbage. Even my idols have made bad music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW4EEX7iiNE

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #22 on: 19 Jan 2023, 04:34 am »
It could probably go without stating, but KXCI streams on a number of services. I finally searched for it online and added it just now to my tablet home page, for streaming to my stereo. Assuming I enjoy it as much as Wayne, I'll add it to my streamer/server in my stereo. Thanks Wayne!

It's not old age, it's the music. Making a recording is a lot easier today than it was when we were young, bedroom recording studios now are everywhere. Back in the '60's and 70's the record companies and producers acted like gate keepers. Now anything goes and with computer generated play lists, anything gets played. I still don't understand the fascination with rap and hip-hop, that is definitely an age thing.

Instead of streaming, I listen to KXCI, a local commercial free community radio station. KXCI has real live DJs 24/7. They play a hand picked curated playlist of new and old music and is where I discover new artists. At first much of the new music is 'bad' but eventually I 'get it', it takes time to retrain my brain. Back in 1985 one DJ always played "Oh Yea" by Yello, I hated that song. Now Yello is one of my favorite bands. It helps that the DJs pick the best tracks from the most promising new artists. The station gets 100s of new albums that are listened to by volunteers, sorted by genre, auditioned again by the DJ and only then maybe played on air. But that still doesn't mean I'll like it.

KXCI still plays a lot of 'bad' music but then the next song is 'good'. Sometimes it is just me, I'm in a mellow mood when the DJ wants to play an entire 20 minute set of head banging hard rock. Whenever I get an album from a new artist I'll sit and listen all the way through, my love for new music hasn't diminished at all.

WGH

« Reply #23 on: 19 Jan 2023, 05:42 am »
I enjoy all day Saturday the best. I start with the Saturday Morning Music Mix at 6:00am

A new show in the 8:00am time slot is All Things Guitar (And a Little Bit More)

Both of these shows remind me of early '70s rock FM where the DJ would play all the music you liked and every song was great.

The Bluegrass Show is 10:00am - 12:00 noon

Roadhouse Social Club is Noon - 2:00 pm, rockin' roadhouse music

Soul Stories is 2:00pm - 5:00 pm - Professor Tyina Steptow weaves a story with soul music of all types, from the '40's to modern day. I learn something every time I listen, this is where rock started.

The Blues Review is 5:00pm - 9:00pm - Marty Cool has been playing blues in this time slot for 36 years, Classic & contemporary Blues from the 30s to now. Real Blues, R&B, Chicago Blues, West Coast, Delta, Piedmont, etc.

KXCI - Always Commercial Free - Free Form Radio - 91.3 FM
https://kxci.org/

No matter where your mind wants to go, KXCI has a program for you. All programs are available for 2 weeks for free too so you don't have to stay awake until 2:00am to catch a show.
Click on any show and check out the playlist
https://spinitron.com/KXCI/calendar

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #24 on: 19 Jan 2023, 12:31 pm »
I've been enjoying The Jazz Groove for the past year, ad free CD quality laid back jazz from San Francisco on internet radio.  No repeats, human curated, mostly oldies. 

js1955

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jan 2023, 03:33 pm »
+1 on The Jazz Groove.

Radio Paradise is another good commercial free one.  Good SQ, a few genre specific channels offered, mix of old and new music, and I really like the ability to skip thru songs.    :thumb:

mav52

« Reply #26 on: 19 Jan 2023, 04:01 pm »
Maybe its not the music, but the priorities you have in life as you age.  I find myself these days not listening to as much music as I once did. At 70, I'm outside more getting away from the inside of the home.  Too much other things in life than setting and setting skipping through songs or getting up as I still do, when I do do it, and doing needle drops on my VPI.  Age has a way of making you think about the next day.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jan 2023, 04:31 pm »
People need to stop listing to the sound system, and start listening to the song. Does that song have a connection with you? Can I listen to an AM radio version recorded on cassette tape and still get excited about it?

VinceT

« Reply #28 on: 19 Jan 2023, 07:45 pm »
Since I installed a streamer (NODE) about 15 months ago,I  have probably listened to at least 400 new songs from different genres and I notice that I don't have any patience any more when listening and I tend to listen to the first 1/4 of the song or if it sounds 'off',I just hit the mouse button to next song....before the streamer,I would spin plastic and would basically sit through the 'bad' track and continue listening all the way through,occasionally hitting the NEXT button on player,occasionally.

So,are there other listeners like me that have no music patience,or is it an old age 'thing'....I never really did have any patience,so maybe that's it...no patience is getting worse?!! :scratch: Huck

If you bought the album of CD you already know the artist, so it could be the case there is a higher likelihood you will tend to suffer through a bad B side tune

Great thing about streaming is the ease of exploration. I too try a lot of different music, and find I like about 3% of it. But it is something new or undiscovered that I would not have known about otherwise. So I say keep tapping the that mouse, life is too short for crappy music. 

MttBsh

« Reply #29 on: 19 Jan 2023, 08:55 pm »

If you bought the album of CD you already know the artist, so it could be the case there is a higher likelihood you will tend to suffer through a bad B side tune

Great thing about streaming is the ease of exploration. I too try a lot of different music, and find I like about 3% of it. But it is something new or undiscovered that I would not have known about otherwise. So I say keep tapping the that mouse, life is too short for crappy music.

Amen. Like everyone I have my personal taste in music. Every Friday Qobuz posts "new releases" and I try to sample a few that look like they may be interesting. I find most of it unlistenable, but every now and then an absolute gem appears that I would never have known about otherwise, that makes it all worthwhile. Sadly, I think your estimate of 3% is about right!

VinceT

« Reply #30 on: 19 Jan 2023, 09:31 pm »
Amen. Like everyone I have my personal taste in music. Every Friday Qobuz posts "new releases" and I try to sample a few that look like they may be interesting. I find most of it unlistenable, but every now and then an absolute gem appears that I would never have known about otherwise, that makes it all worthwhile. Sadly, I think your estimate of 3% is about right!

I do the same with Qobuz, I was looking to get into Roon eventually; my understanding is that the software really does a good job pointing you in the right direction with undiscovered music per your tastes.

Bob Stark

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2023, 09:59 pm »
If you are a CD/DVD enthusiast, a friend of mine Scott kept telling me about Auric Illuminator II disc treatment.  He said it made all his CDs sound much more real and like live music.

I bought two kits on his recommendation.  I have now done 200+ CDs/SACDs and 25 DVDs.  Every single one of them has become much better sounding, especially the ones I chose not to listen to because of mediocre or poor SQ.  The same with the DVDs but add much better picture quality to the better sound--more dynamic, much more real sound of the instruments, and increased soundstage in both width and depth.

The only drawback is you have to treat the disc at about 5-6 minutes per disc.  One time and it's done forever, however.  The original formula took a reapplication sometimes.  This newer formula is twice as effective and powerful in effect.  it is a bargain in cost also.  I will be treating about 400 discs with one kit.  I did need to buy a set of 10 Staedtler Black markers as the one that came with each kit only last so long.  Got the 10 for under $20 total shipped.  I just do a batch of 7-9 at a time so I can go through the steps faster without waiting for things to dry.  Works good while listening to music.

You will think you just upgraded your system when you hear the difference it makes.  The joy in listening will return.

I have nothing to do with the company Audience that makes this stuff--just passing the word to those who might be interested.

Bob

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #32 on: 20 Jan 2023, 01:02 am »
I am in the minority here as streaming has made me want to listen more often, not less. If I'm not going to listen to something that's ripped to my hard drive, I pull up new releases on Qobuz and see what looks interesting. Usual genres are blues, jazz, folk, or electronic. I'll choose something interesting and rarely dump out without hearing the entire album. I think that happens most often with jazz. If I enjoy the album, I'll look for other albums by the artist and listen to a few of them. I usually will listen to these albums a couple times before moving on. This process takes a week or two before I go looking for something else new.

At this point, I listen to new, or new to me music, 90% of the time. With somewhere near 17,000 albums ripped, there are only a few I will listen to fairly regularly. After all these years listening to music, I have no real desire to listen to the 30-50 year old music I've heard so many times. It holds no interest for me. Too much good stuff out there if you give it a chance. And I am also one of the old guys here.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #33 on: 20 Jan 2023, 01:21 am »
I am in the minority here as streaming has made me want to listen more often, not less. If I'm not going to listen to something that's ripped to my hard drive, I pull up new releases on Qobuz and see what looks interesting. Usual genres are blues, jazz, folk, or electronic. I'll choose something interesting and rarely dump out without hearing the entire album. I think that happens most often with jazz. If I enjoy the album, I'll look for other albums by the artist and listen to a few of them. I usually will listen to these albums a couple times before moving on. This process takes a week or two before I go looking for something else new.

At this point, I listen to new, or new to me music, 90% of the time. With somewhere near 17,000 albums ripped, there are only a few I will listen to fairly regularly. After all these years listening to music, I have no real desire to listen to the 30-50 year old music I've heard so many times. It holds no interest for me. Too much good stuff out there if you give it a chance. And I am also one of the old guys here.

+1

GeorgeAb

« Reply #34 on: 20 Jan 2023, 03:22 am »
We all have our ways of doing things and advances in technology do provide options. Personally, I usually listen to the entire album and do listen to the entire track. If the album just doesn't work for me after a song or two, I move on. Really like the feature in Roon when I find a track that is particularly objectionable where I can change the setup so I do not have to listen to that track when I play the album again.