What Do You Connect Internet To?

JakeJ

What Do You Connect Internet To?
« on: 11 Jan 2023, 01:06 am »
For steaming TV do you connect your Ethernet to the TV, the blu-ray player, or the prepro?

Phil A

Re: What Do You Connect Internet To?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2023, 12:56 pm »
I do all.  I had the house pre-wired with ethernet jacks behind where I planned to put the equipment in each room.  I have switches in each room so that i can connect multiple things.  It makes it easy to update firmware when I get a notification.  In addition, it gives me options if I watch something in a particular room.  Sometimes, I may be watching something streaming and just use the TV speakers.

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2023, 01:09 pm »
Your question is a bit unclear. I would use a wired Ethernet connection for the device that you are streaming content from. This would typically be the (Smart) TV  or the Blu-Ray player. I would use a WIFI connection for the others.

The non-streaming devices are connected so you can update the firmware which is very infrequently and control the device from a phone/tablet app.

As Phil indicated, for under $20, you could add an 4 port switch and then use a wired Ethernet connection for all three pieces of gear. Plug an Ethernet cable from the wall jack to the switch and Ethernet cables from each device to the switch.

JakeJ

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2023, 02:55 pm »
Apologies, Doublej, and all viewing this thread.  I am curious which device people streaming TV and video content from the internet connect to and what the advantages/disadvantages are in connecting to one of the three devices.  Our man Phil A states he connects all three (and any other LAN devices).

I do plan on a wired connection from the new router to the home theater.  I'm hopeful I can stream music over the WiFi as I want to try out Roon and my server is in my office and I want send the signal to the main system in the living room.  If it doesn't work I can always run a cable.

I suspect that I should try all as each one is likely due for a firmware update.

I'm also relocating the new router so it is more central in my home so I can get the 5G everywhere.  And since the router and modem are moving I am installing a smart switch in the office for multiple computers and printers.  Didn't consider all three being connected simutaneously but now I may need to look into that.  Glad I asked.

SFDude

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2023, 03:07 pm »
I connect a switch in the media/movie room. From there, I have an Nvidia Shield TV device that I connect Ethernet to. Connect the Nvidia to TV (via HDMI) and that’s my setup there.

Downstairs in the living room is a Fire TV stick, which I connect via Wi-Fi. Since the Wi-Fi access point is in the same room, there is a solid wireless connection and works well for streaming. I sometimes bring this Fire TV stick to hotels, connect to the in-room Wi-Fi and it works. However, some hotel Wi-Fi sucks so bad, that streaming gets choppy or unusable, so if you’re setting this up at home, have a strong signal for streaming wirelessly.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2023, 03:08 pm »
In my main system, which is an integrated AV system, I use the ethernet jack from the wall (which goes directly to a jack in my office directly connected to the router - have a wall plate in the office with the jacks going to other rooms) directly into my Lumin U1 music server.  I have a wireless access point in the main system with multiple inputs where I connect the receiver, streaming box, blu-ray player, etc.  I had to take the main system apart to have the room painted and I removed the projector on a pole (behind the main chair) and had an ALR screen installed and hope to have the new ultra short throw projector in about a month (the pic has the center channel stand in the middle and the projector, which has a soundbar, will go behind that).  In the pic, on the top shelf near the left channel, one can see the antennas from the wireless access point in back of the blu-ray player.

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2023, 04:19 pm »
Apologies, Doublej, and all viewing this thread.  I am curious which device people streaming TV and video content from the internet connect to and what the advantages/disadvantages are in connecting to one of the three devices.  Our man Phil A states he connects all three (and any other LAN devices).

I do plan on a wired connection from the new router to the home theater.  I'm hopeful I can stream music over the WiFi as I want to try out Roon and my server is in my office and I want send the signal to the main system in the living room.  If it doesn't work I can always run a cable.

I suspect that I should try all as each one is likely due for a firmware update.

I'm also relocating the new router so it is more central in my home so I can get the 5G everywhere.  And since the router and modem are moving I am installing a smart switch in the office for multiple computers and printers.  Didn't consider all three being connected simutaneously but now I may need to look into that.  Glad I asked.

Keep in mind Roon is particularly demanding of home networks.  It’s not unusual to have performance issues with Roon using WiFi (everyone’s WiFi environment is different).  Use ethernet for Roon if at all possible, or at a minimum make sure at least the Roon core is connected by ethernet.

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/networking-best-practices#Recommended_Setups

JakeJ

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2023, 05:45 pm »
Hi Saturn94,

Yes, that's the plan.  My new office server is a newer Dell Optiplex 7060 replacing my aging home-built PC.  So it will have a wired connection and be the roon core with an endpoint running in the main system.  I thought it would work as the new router is much fast and more powerful plus relocating to within 30 feet of the endpoint would solve those issues.  We'll see.  If I must I can run a cable.

Also if needed I can hang another switch in HT room to have the necessary ports to connect all three devices.

Thanks for all the input so far, gents.  Much appreciated.

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2023, 06:35 pm »
I have hardwired ethernet to both the main floor HT and the basement HT.

Both locations also have a 4-10 port switch - so ALL my gear (PS4, Raspi4, AVR, TV receiver, TV wifi broadcaster, smart TV, KODI box etc) is connected by wire.  This was all by design when building out the spaces, I wanted to hardwire all the AV gear to "reserve" wifi for consumption devices (ipads, phones, work laptops etc.  Use a mesh system too so coverage for wifi is good, and all my "important" AV gear is wired.

All streaming is done either via KODI box (wired), local music (server and player wired), or airplay/bluetooth from a mobile device.

I had the walls open at the time, so running wires was simple and I figured worth the $ at the time.  No regrets other than the media closet where all these cables home run to will be fun "for the next owner" - I do have a handwritten handbook for what color ethernet connects to what etc

zoom25

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2023, 11:52 pm »
I did home renovations this year for basement and had the wall open at places, so took the opportunity to relocate the router to a better position. Now I get better connectivity, and it's also in its own closet so noise or light pollution is not an issue going forward. Got 100 foot RG6 coaxial cable to relocate the router.

I ran multiple Cat6 to all the locations. I made sure to get Cat6 keystone wall jacks. Pay specific attention that it's rated for Cat6. You can get single, double, or even quad wall connector plates. I ran pre-terminated ethernet cables inside the wall and connected each end to the jack on the wall plate, so that way the cables inside the wall never get damaged. You simply plug in the cables at the wall.

Example of quad: https://www.amazon.ca/VCE-Cat6-Female-Port-Plate/dp/B077F7N3BK/ref=sr_1_12?crid=17CRESNXSXGHU&keywords=ethernet+wall+plate&qid=1673480718&sprefix=ethernet+wall+plate%2Caps%2C106&sr=8-12

I put my Rogers Ignite, IPTV, TV, Intel NUC, Synology NAS on the network hard wired. I also have Amazon Fire Stick TV that are running for Wifi off the 5Ghz channel and wireless is perfect for that. The new routers and streaming devices as of late with new wifi chipsets (Wifi 6) are remarkably good. Wired is always preferable, but wireless is perfectly fine for basic media playback.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2023, 12:29 am »
Everybody keep in mind that technology changes so carefully plan ahead.

My CenturyLink service was recently upgraded for free to fiber optic, download and upload speed is now 940 Mbps. $65/month for life.

Fiber optic cable requires an unbroken line from the pole to the Adtran Micro ONT receiver inside the house, even one or two optical fiber connectors joined through a coupler can bring a degrading impact on the overall performance. One meter long Cat 5 ethernet goes from the Micro ONT receiver to the CenturyLink router.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2023, 07:33 pm »
I no longer do. I had in the past, but I have no issues with WiFi these days. I use a Roku 4K Streaming Stick, and it has no wired connection available and I don't notice any degradation because of it. Blu-ray discs are superior to streaming, but I doubt it's due to the WiFi connection's through put, but the quality of the stream provided by the various vendors.