VTL 2.5 model version ?

bunkertoy

VTL 2.5 model version ?
« on: 1 Jan 2023, 06:39 pm »
Hi All,
Wondering if anyone can help identify a pre-owned VTL 2.5 I just bought.
It's not a VTL 2.5i, but it has the same tubes as the 2.5i and the same smaller volume knob. The older 2.5 had a bigger volume knob along with a different tube combination. Also curios why many of the 2.5's have different watts written on the back panel. ranging from 20 -40 watts.
Anyone no this model ? is it an improved version of the earlier 2.5 ? Thanks for any information you can provide.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: VTL 2.5 model version ?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2023, 07:50 pm »
It dont have the model name on the face plate or in the back?

bunkertoy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2023, 08:22 pm »
It does say model 2.5, but it has the look of a 2.5i, also has the same tubes as a 2.5i. It's not a 2.5i though. I really trying to find out if there were improvements with this model compared to the 2.5i.

It doesn't have the gain switches next to the tubes like a 2.5i.
Perhaps it's a 2.5 version 2 model ? Most online info is for a 2.5i and some for the 2.5 with a different volume knob.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2023, 08:39 pm »
I believe this info are correct, since David Manley passed away you could try email Eveanna tô further details.

bunkertoy

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2023, 08:54 pm »
Did that with serial #, no reply. I've heard they don't have the best customer service.
I'll try again, maybe email got lost in the xmas holidays.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2023, 09:32 pm »
Is it possible you got one that went back to VTL to get the updated version in the old chassis?  Just thought.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2023, 10:10 pm »
It may be 20W in Triode, 40W in UL.
From what year are this amp?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2023, 10:52 pm »
It's Manley that has really good customer service, VTL which is the difficult company.

bunkertoy

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2023, 11:01 pm »
Is it possible you got one that went back to VTL to get the updated version in the old chassis?  Just thought.

Nope, I saw someone else was selling the same model many years ago on this forum. I've reached out to him for some info.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 2 Jan 2023, 12:00 am »
It's Manley that has really good customer service, VTL which is the difficult company.
So both are bad, Manley had plenty of clients a few years ago.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 2 Jan 2023, 12:16 am »
I found Manley to be a terrific company to deal with.
It's the holidays, business close, things are going on, probably just poor timing.

bunkertoy

« Reply #11 on: 2 Jan 2023, 12:52 am »
I found Manley to be a terrific company to deal with.
It's the holidays, business close, things are going on, probably just poor timing.

Agree

bunkertoy

« Reply #12 on: 4 Jan 2023, 09:28 pm »
Finally got in touch with VTL. They were not interested in telling me too much about the differences between the much older 2.5, or comparing my model to the newer 2.5i.
At the end of the day 2.5i came out in 2016 and my model which looks very similar came out in 2012.
Just wanted to post this in case others are also curious.
Cheers

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 4 Jan 2023, 11:59 pm »
Curious to know why you want to know these minimal differences between these similar equipments.  :scratch: