DIY AMP's for XLS Encore

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: DIY AMP's for XLS Encore
« Reply #40 on: 27 Dec 2022, 04:12 pm »
Yea, the ANK is a little more than I wanted to spend, but I guess that’s probably an endgame preamp so that will probably be it. Plus it has a remote. I’ve also been looking at the 300b monoblocks.

Go for it! It looks like a well thought out design at least in my eyes. Jaytor has built the 300B monoblocks.

If I were to build this preamp, I would also add a differential to SE conversion module inside for those fellas who have differential/balanced sources. And a custom chassis - although the existing chassis does look nice.

Best,
Anand.

Badd99

« Reply #41 on: 27 Dec 2022, 08:01 pm »
Have you looked at:

Bottlehead Bee Pre: https://bottlehead.com/product/beepre2-300b-preamplifier-kit/

Audio Note Kits L5 Mentor Signature: https://ankaudiokits.com/product/pre-amp-l5-mentor/

I have seriously looked at the ANK L5 Mentor myself...

Best,
Anand.

I wonder if you took the schitt freya+ and do the vcap mod, change the electrolytics to some higher end ones, the resistors to the audio note tantulum silver variaity how close they would be. I think I'll be modding my schitt freya+ and putting the dueland 0.01 silver bypass on the 4 vcaps.  I wonder how close this is the ANK. I am firmly in 6sn7 tube realm (I actually use 6fcg and 7n7 in my schitt freya+) but I have so much into the best of the best of these tube interchanables I feel maximizing the schitt freya+ a best bet.

pbzepplin

« Reply #42 on: 31 Dec 2022, 11:25 am »
Looks like a new hypex design is coming out which might give purifi a run for the money. it does look like it is cleaner it seems they might have shipped a small ammount of them but they are now out of stock. In digging into this is also looks like purifi might be updating a design of something called a 1ET9040BA which seems to have a balanced topology but not much for primary sources to confirm.

https://audioxpress.com/news/hypex-presents-new-nilai500-diy-audio-amplifier-module

Steve

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #43 on: 31 Dec 2022, 05:57 pm »
Currently have the new Hypex modules in house and will have/give impressions soon. I will say that I am a huge fan of the purity on the Purifi's, but the Hypex has some additional power, has a slightly higher S/N measured with buffer, and as well does not needing an input buffer which makes it a really attractive unit for my application. As we know, measurements don't always tell the whole story, but fingers crossed this will all but end my amp journey for some time to come.

Don

mkrawcz

« Reply #44 on: 31 Dec 2022, 07:28 pm »
I just replaced the VTV buffers on my Purifi amps with the Neurochrome buffers and it’s a pretty dramatic improvement. This is probably the best setup there is for the Purifi 400 modules. It will be interesting to see if the new Hypex and Purifi modules will be a subjective improvement.

pbzepplin

« Reply #45 on: 1 Jan 2023, 12:16 am »
Currently have the new Hypex modules in house and will have/give impressions soon. I will say that I am a huge fan of the purity on the Purifi's, but the Hypex has some additional power, has a slightly higher S/N measured with buffer, and as well does not needing an input buffer which makes it a really attractive unit for my application. As we know, measurements don't always tell the whole story, but fingers crossed this will all but end my amp journey for some time to come.

Don

Excited to hear your thoughts once you get them together. Are you driving encores with them?

Steve

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #46 on: 1 Jan 2023, 08:39 am »
No, this is not a GR project,

Don

HT1278

« Reply #47 on: 2 Jan 2023, 07:55 pm »
For someone who has not built an amp ever, are there any Purifi or other "kits" where one can buy all parts and have some directions etc?

Or is this only available/reasonable for people who can just buy the parts and design all interconnects, board layout etc themselves?

mkrawcz

« Reply #48 on: 2 Jan 2023, 08:45 pm »
For someone who has not built an amp ever, are there any Purifi or other "kits" where one can buy all parts and have some directions etc?

Or is this only available/reasonable for people who can just buy the parts and design all interconnects, board layout etc themselves?
I haven’t found a complete kit available for Purifi modules. You pretty much have to order the eval kit from Purifi, a power supply from Hypex, and a case from Ghent Audio in China. Now, Hypex makes compete kits available at diyclassd.com which if you’re in the US, it’s still an import from Europe.

BrandonB

« Reply #49 on: 2 Jan 2023, 09:29 pm »
Looks like a new hypex design is coming out which might give purifi a run for the money. it does look like it is cleaner it seems they might have shipped a small ammount of them but they are now out of stock. In digging into this is also looks like purifi might be updating a design of something called a 1ET9040BA which seems to have a balanced topology but not much for primary sources to confirm.

https://audioxpress.com/news/hypex-presents-new-nilai500-diy-audio-amplifier-module

Steve
So I was looking at a GaN amp from Class D Audio then ran across this thread.  I seen the new Hypex kit with the Nilia chip.  It looks simple to build.  Has anyone listened to this amp?  I couldn't tell if it had been released yet.  How are the new Hypex and Purifi designs comparing to the amps from the large manufacturers like the BHK design etc. 

mkrawcz

« Reply #50 on: 2 Jan 2023, 09:34 pm »
So I was looking at a GaN amp from Class D Audio then ran across this thread.  I seen the new Hypex kit with the Nilia chip.  It looks simple to build.  Has anyone listened to this amp?  I couldn't tell if it had been released yet.  How are the new Hypex and Purifi designs comparing to the amps from the large manufacturers like the BHK design etc.
Well, that is the million dollar question. They are very new and sold out already until March. But I am very curious  lmyself as to weather or not Hypex has come up with a module that sounds as good as the Purifi since Bruno left to start Purifi.

BrandonB

« Reply #51 on: 2 Jan 2023, 09:50 pm »
Well, that is the million dollar question. They are very new and sold out already until March. But I am very curious  lmyself as to weather or not Hypex has come up with a module that sounds as good as the Purifi since Bruno left to start Purifi.

I have a few questions not related.  I am new to the scene.  So Bruno left Hypex to go to Purifi or did he start Purifi?  From what I have read he is a genius in class D amps.  Also Hypex has released these DIY kits and they are distributed from retailers ready to put together  Is the wiring, RCA connects binding post etc. of good quality?  From my research these parts are important for the sounds as well. 

mkrawcz

« Reply #52 on: 2 Jan 2023, 10:53 pm »
I have a few questions not related.  I am new to the scene.  So Bruno left Hypex to go to Purifi or did he start Purifi?  From what I have read he is a genius in class D amps.  Also Hypex has released these DIY kits and they are distributed from retailers ready to put together  Is the wiring, RCA connects binding post etc. of good quality?  From my research these parts are important for the sounds as well.
Bruno Putzeys who was a class D audio designer for Philips pryor to working for Hypex, designed the Hypex NCore amplifier range. He left Hypex a few years ago and formed Purifi along with Lars Risbo formerly of Texas Instruments. The 2 of them are probably the best minds in class D technology. I haven't really looked into what they use for wiring and binding posts. Yes, there is going to be better stuff out there. With the Purifi Eval1, there is no wiring as the Banana Jacks and XLRs are soldier right to the buffer PCB.

wushuliu

« Reply #53 on: 3 Jan 2023, 03:02 am »
So Bruno left Hypex to go to Purifi or did he start Purifi?  From what I have read he is a genius in class D amps.   

I'd take a step or two back from the hype. Genius is a word that used to have weight but gets thrown around an awful lot more thanks to the interwebs. We are in a new golden age of audio and there's always a new flavor of the month. Just go for something that vibes with you now 'cause in a year there'll be something else that's the next big thing.

BrandonB

« Reply #54 on: 3 Jan 2023, 03:55 am »
I'd take a step or two back from the hype. Genius is a word that used to have weight but gets thrown around an awful lot more thanks to the interwebs. We are in a new golden age of audio and there's always a new flavor of the month. Just go for something that vibes with you now 'cause in a year there'll be something else that's the next big thing.

I understand what you are saying.  Probably a bad choice of words.  I have noticed that they are talked about quite a bit.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #55 on: 3 Jan 2023, 03:56 am »
+1 on wushuliu’s comment.

Too bad this forum doesn’t have a ‘like’ feature.

Best,
Anand.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #56 on: 3 Jan 2023, 04:23 pm »
Not sure if you liked the hype or genius part?? Bruno, at least from a far seems pretty close to a genius to me from some of the things that he's done? I also don't believe that the Purifi team is all about hype, seem more about solving audio related issues that help us all enjoy better sonics within our systems, at least to me. Hype, that would be what Mofi and Andrew Jones are doing with their newly launched speaker, and every reviewer on the interweb that's clamoring all of each other for more descriptive adjectives to describe an average product.

My 2 cents,

mkrawcz

« Reply #57 on: 4 Jan 2023, 12:57 pm »
If anyone is looking for the new Hypex kits, I just noticed that Madisound has them in stock.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/speaker-amps/hypex-nilai500diy-250w-stereo-amplifier-kit/

Wayner

« Reply #58 on: 4 Jan 2023, 01:34 pm »
I built this amp using Bang and Olufsen class D, BTL boards. They run on 120vac, so no power supply required, but they are a BTL and require a balanced signal. To solve that problem, I incorporated 2 1:1 step down audio transformers. It's got more power than I need.

Wayner