New to Forum and Ready to Learn

shocky111

New to Forum and Ready to Learn
« on: 12 Dec 2022, 03:57 pm »
Quick Intro

Located in North East Indiana, Learned of GR-Research while searching for improvement options for my Klipsch RF7 III and the dreaded ice pick in ears fatigue. First pair of RF7 III's were amazing but were replaced under warranty when tweeter failed. Warranty replacement RF7 III pair are nowhere close to audio quality of the first pair. I've purchased Mr. Richie's upgrade kit and will install over the next few weeks, fingers crossed for a much needed improvement.

Current configuration, Dual Parasound JC5's Bridged, Parasound P5 Pre-amp, Parasound JC3 Jr. Phono amp,  a SVS SB16 Ultra sub and of course, the Klipsch RF7 III speakers.

Interested in the NX-Otica and the GR Research open baffle servo subs.

Cheers
Brent

Jaytor

Re: New to Forum and Ready to Learn
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2022, 12:05 am »
Current configuration, Dual Parasound JC5's Bridged ... Klipsch RF7 III speakers.

Boy, that's a HUGE amount of power for such efficient speakers. What made you go with bridged JC5s?

I was using a single JC5 with my NX-Oticas when I first built them, and that was way more power than I needed. And the NX-Oticas are much less efficient than your Klipsch speakers.

BTW - check out the Audition thread (one of the sticky threads in the GR-Research circle) to find owners in your area that are willing to demo their NX-Oticas.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2022, 04:50 pm »
Boy, that's a HUGE amount of power for such efficient speakers. What made you go with bridged JC5s?

I was using a single JC5 with my NX-Oticas when I first built them, and that was way more power than I needed. And the NX-Oticas are much less efficient than your Klipsch speakers.

BTW - check out the Audition thread (one of the sticky threads in the GR-Research circle) to find owners in your area that are willing to demo their NX-Oticas.

Actually the RF 7 III's have an average sensitivity much lower than advertised. By my measurements they averaged just less than 95db. The NX-Oticas are 94db.

Jaytor

« Reply #3 on: 13 Dec 2022, 09:28 pm »
Either way, seems like a huge amount of power for fairly efficient speakers. I've always found that bridging an amp sacrifices some sound quality, so not recommended unless you REALLY need the power. In this case, that's hard to imagine.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 13 Dec 2022, 09:30 pm »
Klipsch is notorious for rating their average speaker sensitivity 4-6dB higher than they actually are capable of.
they Measure sensitivity as stated: "SPL at 1M, half-space anechoic with 2.83V input, in-room sensitivity"

Which means it is effectively the same as a speaker measured using 2.83V at 0.5M.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2022, 09:31 pm »
Any amp with 9 to 10 watts of power or more will drive the NX-Otica's easily.