Where to get surrounds for Electro Voice EV SIX*B woofers.

aceinc

I picked up a pair of EV Six*B speakers which have 2-12" woofers in each cabinet. The foam surrounds have turned to dust and need to be replaced. I have a few questions;

• Is it safe to play them at low volume to verify all the drivers work?
  • Where can I get the surrounds?
  • There many surrounds available for 12" speakers how do I know which is best?

I tried to rotate the image below but I failed.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Where to get surrounds for Electro Voice EV SIX*B woofers.
« Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2022, 07:35 pm »

:thumb: You're getting quite a collection of vintage speakers.
Yes, you can play them at very low volume. You can find a variety at Ebay or Amazon.  Most of the butyl rubber surrounds would work fine.  Look at purchaser reviews and pick something that's not too floppy.  I've replaced surrounds several times... it's not rocket science.  Just take the time to make sure the voice coil doesn't rub on the magnetic pole. 

aceinc

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2022, 03:21 am »
  :thumb: You're getting quite a collection of vintage speakers.
Yes, you can play them at very low volume. You can find a variety at Ebay or Amazon.  Most of the butyl rubber surrounds would work fine.  Look at purchaser reviews and pick something that's not too floppy.  I've replaced surrounds several times... it's not rocket science.  Just take the time to make sure the voice coil doesn't rub on the magnetic pole.
Thanks for the tips.

You don't know the half of it. At present both in systems and not I have;
5 Kef 101/2
2 Kef 103/4
2 Mirage OM 260
2 Klipsch Cornwall III
2 Bookshelf speakers I built from a Northwoods kit
2 Koss CM1020
2 Dahlquist DQM9 with 1 bad tweeter.
2 B&W DM603
2 Bose 901 Mk4 Sounding a little odd
2 Altec Flamenco
2 Altec Valencia
2 Martin Logan Prodigies 1 with a missing ES panel I'm trying to sell for parts
1 Martin Logan Theater Center sounds great but the cabinet is real rough, I'm trying to sell for parts
2 custom made speakers from 1966.
2.1 Carver tower with Sub & Center channel.
2 KEF towers I don't remember the model of with a UniQ driver.
Miscellaneous other speakers including a HT set of White Van speakers I bought intentionally.
In my home theater
2 Magnepan 2.7 QR
2 Magnepan .7
2 Magnepan MMG
5 Subs home built
1 Center channel home built
4 Dayton ceiling speakers.

Most of the speakers I have played at one time or another. The most used speakers are the Carvers they are in a 7.2 system with some speakers I didn't mention in the family room. Other than the Maggies, my current favorites are the Koss CM1020s.

I will be trying to sell some soon :duh:

aceinc

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2022, 01:19 am »
I pulled the woofers out of the cabinets tonight. It appears they were replaced at some point with Radio Shack 40-1026 woofers.

Anybody have a clue where I can find information on what the original Electro Voice drivers were?

I already ordered refoam kits from Simply Speakers so I will repair these drivers, but I imagine they are nowhere near the quality let alone the proper match for these cabinets.