NX STUDIO BXI ACOUSTIC PANEL MOD

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

NX STUDIO BXI ACOUSTIC PANEL MOD
« on: 23 Jul 2022, 12:51 am »
I did a experiment with these panels and really liked the result. For me personally, I liked it better than the NoRez on the top ramp of my NX-Studio's. Others evidently like the results, and have used the panels too. It's a cheap project to do, and I found the results meeting my needs.

Here is the link to the BXI Panels I used for my build.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Q2HYMW?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_k0_1_4&amp=&crid=3ET9AKC8VHPPC&amp=&sprefix=bxi+

If I ever decide to build one of the OB Speaker kits, excluding the Subs, I will attach the BXI Panels to the Backside of the front baffles. I'll machine the cut out's, for the drivers, and intergrate it to align up with cabinet sides and NoRez, for a professional appearance. I figure I have nothing to loose but time, and everything to gain if it improves upon the ottica's or my dream speaker, "The Extremes."   

Can this experiment benfit them?  I can only say I've had excellent results with my NX-STUDIO'S.  Keep in mind they are a completely different design though. Someday I'll give it a try though.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2023, 12:37 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Tomy2Tone

Re: NX STUDIO ACOUSTIC PANEL MODIFICATION, FOR TOP RAMP
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2022, 02:16 am »
Oh sure, blame me 😁

When Drummer messaged me with the Amazon link and the acoustic material was only $20 or so I thought it was worth the try to see what it could do. I never made the screen for the open baffle on top and I was thinking of painting the sides and even the ramp a flat black so I never peeled and stuck the NoRez and instead just laid it there so no painful removal for me.

The acoustic material is fairly dense and I just used a utility knife to cut the sections out and was able to get a tight enough tolerance where I don’t feel the need to glue or stick them in place. Took me about an hour to cut and place everything and let my amp warm up. I could tell right away the sound was cleaned up and detail retrieval was improved, especially with vocals but also with the pluck of stringed instruments.

After an evening of listening to familiar songs I felt the same as Drummer about having no plans to go back to the NoRez on top. What a pleasant surprise this was!  I really feel like the covering of all the surfaces with this material has allowed the tweeter to really shine and has taken what was already a great speaker and made it greater.

I definitely give it a high recommendation for those who like to extract every bit of performance in their system and for the price it’s a no brainer.  :thumb:

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2022, 10:09 am »
Hondurous Rosewood Veneer finish Note:
The removable knob on top of grill has a magnet in it. The grill frame does as well, for easy removal.

Top ramp shown (below) with BXI Panels installed

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2023, 04:19 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2022, 01:57 pm »
Another thing I noticed last night is the sense of space and depth of soundstage is improved or at least perceived more. The old saying “seeing into the recording” is what kept coming to mind when listening. It wasn’t hard to imagine the guitarist or vocalist right there performing.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jul 2022, 04:54 pm »
Alright... you guys talked me into trying it. Worst case scenario it was a $20 test, but it sounds like it has promise so let's give it a shot!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2022, 09:46 pm »
For those who wanna try just putting some acoustic panel material on the sides and around the tweeter that might bring enough of a positive effect. A friend just put some thick felt material around the tweeter and noticed a nice uptick in clarity. Worth a try.

tom739

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2022, 08:10 pm »
Improving the NX Studio. Awesome. Danny may want to update his kit.

nlitworld

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2022, 09:22 pm »
My set just arrived yesterday so I'm headed home now to try it out. Thr way I figure it, it's a cheap test where worst case scenario I reinstall the no-rez on the ramp and it was a fun experiment. Best case scenario it sounds way better and I had an inexpensive upgrade.

nlitworld

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2022, 09:34 pm »
Just curious, is the backside of the front baffle necessary or did you do it just for being thorough?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2022, 09:41 pm »
Just curious, is the backside of the front baffle necessary or did you do it just for being thorough?

A friend had his NoRez on the sides and ramp but nothing around the tweeter and so he decided to try and apply some felt there and noticed an uptick in detail so I think it must benefit.

The section around the tweeter was pretty easy to cut so I say why not, plus there is plenty of material to work with.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jul 2022, 02:20 am »
Yes nlitworld, I do suggest adding the BXI panel to the Backside of baffle. You'll need to cut out the panel for the tweeter though.

« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2023, 02:55 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

nlitworld

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jul 2022, 02:16 pm »
First song there was a noticable difference
Second song I'm sold it was a worthy upgrade
Third song I wonder how I've gone so long without it.

It seems having norez on the top ramp absorbed sound extremely well and having the sides exposed let sound rattle around like a pinball. With these felt pads in place, it seems to absorb some (and more consistently) but without taking all the energy out of the sound.

Cymbals and snare rim shots seem to have much more immediacy to the strikes, guitar string reverberation more clearly defined, vocals have more clarity and air to them. But all of these good attributes do not come with any edginess to the sound. I went into this as a cheap project that may have a little benefit, but I can tell you there was nothing little about the improvement in sound. My pieces are all compression fit in there right now, but I will promptly be gluing them in place. I will be making a better full piece behind tweeter as it's currently just a couple separate pieces wedged in there.

Song list for demo:
Pentatonix- Daft Punk. (Excellent vocal test)
David Bowie - Let's Dance (so much layering of sound)
Polyphia - G.O.A.T. (exceptional guitars & drumming)
Now playing everything else I can think of

Thank you for the recommendation.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jul 2022, 07:54 pm »
That’s awesome nlitworld!  You described everything I’m experiencing and said it more descriptively than I could.

Glad to know Drummer and I aren’t alone in this!  :thumb:

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jul 2022, 08:05 pm »
I feel like this upgrade on the ramp and tweeter is more substantial than any capacitor or wire change in the speaker. Like nlitworld said I don’t get any negative effect or harshness from the added clarity and detail.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #14 on: 28 Jul 2022, 11:02 pm »
I used this product, which works excellent for the either experimenting or on a permanent basis. It's basically the material that credit cards are attached in mailers. It's rubbery, but is removable. Yet, sticks really well, so it met my objective. 

https://www.michaels.com/product/aleenes-tackit-over-over-10550020?cm_mmc=PLASearch-_-google-_-MICH_Shopping_US_N_Craft+%26+Hobbies_N_PMAX_BOPIS_N-_-&Kenshoo_ida=&kpid=go_cmp-18514199759_adg-_ad-__dev-c_ext-_prd-10550020&gclid=CjwKCAiAl9efBhAkEiwA4Torij3RHHRIUvfMu7TnOH3L51i_JL_G-ADTGuuAAP1xWaoswFPy8VGpRRoCBu0QAvD_BwE

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2023, 07:29 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

nlitworld

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2022, 11:38 pm »
I feel like this upgrade on the ramp and tweeter is more substantial than any capacitor or wire change in the speaker. Like nlitworld said I don’t get any negative effect or harshness from the added clarity and detail.

Exactly the thought I was having. My speakers have the Copper Caps that GR Research were selling a while back with a Deudland copper bypass and I had been about to change that to a VCap ODAM and Deudland Silver bypass like others have done to increase detail. Now I will be staying put with my smooth sounding copper caps. That $21 tweak saved me $500 in caps for now. I may revisit it again later but I'm not itching for the upgeade like I was 48hrs ago.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #16 on: 29 Jul 2022, 12:15 am »

« Last Edit: 23 Feb 2023, 02:08 am by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

nlitworld

« Reply #17 on: 29 Jul 2022, 12:21 am »
I have seen a few people add NoRez to the side panels as well as the ramp, but it is not many. Perhaps one day I will do an A/B vs fill No-Rez on top but not today. Too busy right now.  :thumb:

cementhead

« Reply #18 on: 8 Aug 2022, 04:50 pm »
Where is the modification that was done?

nlitworld

« Reply #19 on: 8 Aug 2022, 05:36 pm »
It appears he took down his photos and links to the product in discussion. The modification is changing from no-rez on just the ramp to this other product on the entirety of the top section (ramp, sides, front baffle). The other product was super easy to work with and fit exactly where needed. I'm sure applying no-rez all the way around the top section would have similar results, but I was quite surprised how well a $20 Amazon product worked for this application. Definitely worth the price of admission.

For clarification, this is not a replacement for the no-rez inside the cabinet. You definitely still need the sound damping layer and the absorption of the foam for inside the cabinet.