The Room Is Everything

Housteau

The Room Is Everything
« on: 6 Apr 2022, 06:14 pm »
A YouTube audio discussion channel just released a video highlighting my room.  I wanted to share that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrjvEp5fx0M&t=1522s

Once when asked what it is that I value most from a well set up system, my answer was easy.  Very simply I want it all.  But, if I needed to narrow it down it would be both the overall soundstage and an even flat bass response.  If you can get these then everything else should fall nicely inline.  I made many mistakes in my room set up over the years but remained persistent.  I also broke different acoustic rules along the way.  However, my current end result simply works and it works really well.

I do not use an added house curve and stay following the Pink Noise trace, as Pink Noise is already pre-weighted to how humans hear.  Any such boosting sounds very unnatural to me on acoustic music.

Mag

Re: The Room Is Everything
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2022, 08:35 pm »
That wouldn't cut it for me, I listen around the 95 decibel range. Not as loud as the real thing, concerts I've been to, but imo this is a matter of scale, size of the venue.

As long as you're happy, you're the one listening in your room. :P

Housteau

Re: The Room Is Everything
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2022, 10:33 pm »
That wouldn't cut it for me, I listen around the 95 decibel range. Not as loud as the real thing, concerts I've been to, but imo this is a matter of scale, size of the venue.

As long as you're happy, you're the one listening in your room. :P

I am not sure exactly what you are meaning to say.  My system can match scale to realism without issue, small and large.  If it is my graph made at around 78dB that concerns you, it shouldn't.  The tone set to 90dB shows a similar response.  I have it set lower for my own convenience as it often stays on for an extended period of time when testing.