My Amateur A/V-1RS Build

Vince in TX

My Amateur A/V-1RS Build
« on: 4 Sep 2021, 05:42 pm »
I don't know if I can call myself an amateur now that I've tackled the Servo Sub 4 kits, but I've never built a crossover before, so technically I'm still a newbie.   That said, I've been building PCs and working with electronics for over 30 years, so there's some skills I can draw from.   Besides, I've watched every video I could find on the subject.   I thought the crossovers turned out pretty decent all things considered.

Unfortunately (speaking of palm routers), the cabinets suffered a slip of the router.   I wasn't planning to route anything but the sides since I was contemplating walnut veneer to match the subs, but one little mistake on the router has me going DuraTex.    And that's fine since I was on the fence about making them all black anyway.

Side note, it's unfortunate that Killian's cabinets weren't mirrored pairs.   I've provided that feedback to Danny, so hopefully that gets sorted out for the next guy/gal.

Okay, on with the slide show....

Vince in TX

Re: My Amateur A/V-1RS Build
« Reply #1 on: 7 Sep 2021, 10:44 pm »
My first experience with DuraTex.    This stuff is really easy to work with.   And, yes, I noticed I missed a spot and already fixed it.    :thumb:

The no-res wouldn't stick to the inner surfaces since it appears I still have sawdust and sanding residue in there.   I'll get that cleaned out next and finish installing the no-res and then the drivers.

VinceT

« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2021, 03:28 pm »
Looks good Vince!

Just wondering you mentioned the speakers not being mirrored pairs, wondering if you could just turn the front baffle 180 degrees on two of them? I have never put any of the GR speakers together, so if I am way off base please forgive me. I do like the way the duratex looks and these are on my short list to build as well. Cross over look great!

Vince in TX

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2021, 03:34 pm »
Looks good Vince!

Just wondering you mentioned the speakers not being mirrored pairs, wondering if you could just turn the front baffle 180 degrees on two of them? I have never put any of the GR speakers together, so if I am way off base please forgive me. I do like the way the duratex looks and these are on my short list to build as well. Cross over look great!

Vince, these come pre-assembled, so the only way to do that would be to cut out the baffle, flip it and then reattach it.    I'm not sure it would make that much difference considering they are upward firing anyway, and I'll be bouncing them off a QRD diffuser.   I was just going by what Danny recommended in a different build thread I saw.

And thanks!   I did a test drive of one of them (I only completed one before I accidentally burnt the tip of my soldering iron by leaving it on too long), and WOW!   One of my favorite soundtracks to test is Tron:Legacy.    The sound quality of that one speaker compared to the Klipsch speakers they're replacing is unreal.   I can't wait to get them all installed and burned in.

Vince in TX

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2021, 04:05 pm »
One down, three to go....

Vince in TX

« Reply #5 on: 13 Sep 2021, 04:09 pm »
All four speakers are finished.   Unfortunately I hit a snag when running the calibration over the weekend.  One speaker was missing the highs and appears to have a blown tweeter.

In the high-res version of this photo, I just noticed one of the tweeters appears discolored:

And I confirmed that the discolored one is the non-functional one.   Clearly this got way too hot (note the brown discoloration).   I bought a new soldering iron that is much more sophisticated (albeit expensive), so that issue won't happen again.  In fact, I may just use blade connectors this time and eliminate that possibility altogether.  EDIT:   Danny said don't use bladed connectors - soldering is preferred.

« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2021, 01:17 pm by Vince in TX »

hawkeyejw

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2021, 02:52 pm »
Ah man, that’s a bummer. You created the eye of Sauron tweeter. At least it should be an easy fix!

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2021, 01:16 pm »
Ah man, that’s a bummer. You created the eye of Sauron tweeter. At least it should be an easy fix!

LOL!   Yes.   Danny and Hobbs jumped right on getting a replacement.   It should be here tomorrow.

Note to other DIYers:  There is measured test data attached to each tweeter box.  DO NOT discard your tweeter boxes (cardboard enclosure) until you've verified everything works.   Without it, it's a roll of the dice whether the replacement will match.   Danny packages them in closely-matched pairs.   I had to do some figurative dumpster diving to find my discarded boxes.