Servo subs: singles or doubles?

1OldRocker

Servo subs: singles or doubles?
« on: 9 Jul 2021, 11:59 pm »
Just gathering information right now.

I'm interested in servo sub kits, and I'm wondering... what would I be gaining with a pair of double subs over a pair of single subs? I'm ruling out the triples because of the cost. I'm even having a hard time justifying the cost of doubles, (at about double the cost of singles) but... is there a significant difference in sound? Would it not matter much in a lower cost system?

I only started learning about this stuff a couple years ago and I love it, but  when I think of spending six, eight or ten thousand dollars on a system I start to question my own sanity! That said, if I'm gonna splurge on one area, it would be speakers and subs.

My present system is a Bluesound Node 2i streamer into an RME ADI-2 fs DAC into a Crown XLS 1002 Drivecore amp. I have an old pair of Polk LS-90's re-capped with Sonicaps and Mills resistors. I also have a couple cheap old mismatched subs that I'm not too thrilled with...

Right now I'm happy with the Node and RME but will eventually want to upgrade the amp. Not sure with what yet. Anything could happen after that! I'd love to build the NX-Otica's if $ allows.

If anyone has experience with both singles and doubles, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks for the input!

Early B.

Re: Servo subs: singles or doubles?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2021, 12:57 am »
I assume you're talking about open baffle servo subs...if so, there's no single option.

We're here to help you spend your money, so at a minimum, you'll want a pair of double subs. Why? Because two of them sounds a lot better than one. And triples sound better than doubles.

In my opinion, the subs are more important than the type of speakers you'll eventually upgrade to. Your budget for subs and speakers should start at $5K. But don't let that number scare you. You don't have to shell it out all at once, and you have some stuff to sell to offset the cost.

And once you get your speakers, you'll need to upgrade everything else in your system to get to the level of your speakers and subs. It's good to know you're questioning your sanity -- $10K is a starting point for a basic system IF you're considering OB servo subs -- they produce the best bass on the planet.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2021, 03:33 am »
The dual servo OB subs are the types of thing that will elevate your entire system.  And if you can do the NX-Otica too, then DO IT.  Just astonishingly good speakers.

morganc

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2021, 04:15 am »
You can always start with one double and then add to it as funds allow.....I have a pair of double OB Servos and they are great. 

NoahH

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2021, 06:52 pm »
Answering your core question, higher stacks mean that each driver has less it has to move to get to the same total volume. That means it can do it faster (moving less distance) and change directions faster and such.

It also means the bass is not coming from just the floor, but has height. It is a fallacy that people can't locate where bass comes from - that is true for super low frequencies, but the upper ranges that subs play can be located, so getting some height helps.

1OldRocker

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2021, 11:56 pm »
I figured I could get advice here on how to spend my money, lol!

I realize the singles are sealed. From my limited knowledge, I figured OB would sound better, part of the reason I'm interested in the 'Oticas. Also why I appreciate the opinions of people who have experience with these subs.

I too was thinking I'd probably start with one in my system and add a second later. I'm trying to find a house right now and weather I do will dictate my course of action. If I end up somewhere that shares walls with other peoples homes... I'll probably have to scale things down! I'm in an apartment now and don't have a decent listening space, so hopefully I'll be able to change that.

Thanks for the info guys.

Chewbacca

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2021, 12:36 am »
The main reason I feel that you want dual double 12" or dual triples is the settling time of the drivers. More drivers mean less excursion, less excursion, means faster settling, which means a clean effortless sound. Doesn't mean they have to play louder... but they can :rock:

Especially if you're going to live next to someone (share walls) I would suggest OB bass even more. They won't pressurize the room as much or "boom" the room which will cause additional vibrations that will resonate throughout the house/condo/apt into your neighbors ears and feet :nono: Just because something is bigger doesn't mean it will vibrate the house more. If anything it will have the opposite; just be able to play much louder and boom the house more at that point. But compared at same SPL levels it will be at least the same amount of boom if not less with more drivers/bigger enclosures. You can also help your cause with experimenting with different way footers/isolation platforms. I spent $100 on some SVS footers, which are basically an innertube per foot, and they drastically reduced the vibrations throughout the room, even on a sealed 15".

But if you go with open baffle anywhere, or expect you will in the future... Do it right off the bat with the subs as well. I wish I did.... no wait, I mean.. do you want to buy a Rythmik F15HP?? :lol:

Rob Gremley

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2021, 01:22 am »
Just bought the Servo Sub Kit 2.  Driver has arrived.  Just waiting on the flat pack and the plate amp.  I'll keep you posted on how the build goes.  Very much looking forward to hearing a servo sub, which will be an upgrade from my current B&W ASW610.

1OldRocker

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jul 2021, 01:56 pm »
Good information Chewbacca, I didn’t think of it that way and it seems to make sense (to someone who never heard servo subs). As for that Rythmik F15HP… I’ll need something to go with the Encores I just built…  :D

1OldRocker

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jul 2021, 03:07 pm »
Rob, what factored into your choice of servo kit 2? Just curious… I have to make the same decision! I hope you’ll post your thoughts on how it sounds. Thanks!

Chewbacca

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2021, 05:32 pm »
Good information Chewbacca, I didn’t think of it that way and it seems to make sense (to someone who never heard servo subs). As for that Rythmik F15HP… I’ll need something to go with the Encores I just built…  :D

Well if you actually are interested in the F15HP, I will be putting it up for sale in maybe 2-4 months when I get the OB’s on order. The main problem with this monster sub is shipping… but I noticed you’re in Wisconsin, so if you’re interested we could certainly arrange local pickup/meeting halfway or something of the sort.

Still of course OB will perform better. But paired with the Encores I’m sure the F15 will be a good match since they’re both boxed.

1OldRocker

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2021, 11:01 pm »
Sorry Chewbacca, I'm sure the F15HP is out of my price range... I'm looking for something about $500 max. but thanks anyway!

Chewbacca

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2021, 11:32 pm »
No problem! Once I have my Oticas up and playing (maybe a month-ish?) and you happen to find yourself a little north of Milwaukee, feel free to stop by! :thumb:

1OldRocker

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jul 2021, 11:06 pm »
Small world! I grew up near there (Menomonee Falls). I'll be down there soon (Road America, Elkhart Lake) to indulge in my other expensive hobby: photography!  :duh:

Chewbacca

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2021, 11:39 pm »
Awesome! I'm about 30 minutes southwest of Road America. I go there about once a year, usually for the Superbike Series... I'm certainly a motorcycle junkie!

Let me know if you ever want to stop by! Probably anytime after two months from now would be good. Maybe a few more months for the OB bass :icon_lol: But the Oticas should play pretty low in my small room, so I may be able to cross them over at 60/50hz. But you'll definitely be able to tell the general idea of the OB concept! I can't wait! :green:

1OldRocker

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2021, 02:45 pm »
Thanks for the offer! I might have to take you up on that. 

Rob Gremley

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jul 2021, 08:59 pm »
Rob, what factored into your choice of servo kit 2? Just curious… I have to make the same decision! I hope you’ll post your thoughts on how it sounds. Thanks!

For me, it was size.  I'm replacing the B&W ASW610 which is smaller in both physical size and power.  I wanted to make a step up in both, but I didn't feel the need to go with multiple drivers, etc.  Plus, the price point (including the flat pack) was just about right at ~$1,000.  I'm starting the build this coming weekend, and I'll post some progress pics.