SVS Ultra Bookshelf is on Danny's table! Upgrade soon? !

AverageNiceGuy

Re: SVS Ultra Bookshelf is on Danny's table! Upgrade soon? !
« Reply #20 on: 25 Feb 2021, 03:27 am »
Any news on whether SVS Ultra Bookshelf upgrades shipping out yet?
Still waiting on tube connectors?

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #21 on: 26 Feb 2021, 08:35 pm »
According to DHL website, Danny's package of parts was delivered today.  Let's have some fun with these SVS upgrades!

Marcus
Las Vegas, NV

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 26 Feb 2021, 09:12 pm »
Tube connectors just walked through the doors.  :hyper:

TRYN2SNDGD

« Reply #23 on: 28 Feb 2021, 09:45 pm »
Good afternoon. I'm a complete novice to upgrading and putting together a crossover. Is there a tutorial on how to do it?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 1 Mar 2021, 01:49 am »
Not really, but you can wait to call Danny tomorrow, or DM myself or other users any questions you have about the process!  :thumb:

TRYN2SNDGD

« Reply #25 on: 2 Mar 2021, 12:01 am »
Not really, but you can wait to call Danny tomorrow, or DM myself or other users any questions you have about the process!  :thumb:

I really appreciate that. Expect a DM from me shortly.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: 5 Mar 2021, 02:08 am »
My bookshelf upgrades are on the way!  Expected on Monday.  Will report results.

Marcus

Bradlose

« Reply #27 on: 5 Mar 2021, 11:53 pm »
Finished the SVS ultra last night. They sound much better, especially in the vocal region. Much more detailed than before, but that’s not the whole story.

So, I got the crossover put together and soldered and decided that I wanted to do an a-b comparison between the two crossovers. so I installed both crossovers in the same speaker..bad idea. The new crossovers sounded very muffled and no width to the sound stage. Have no idea what was going on so I pulled the old crossover out and that did the trick! If anyone knows what was going on I would love to know.

AverageNiceGuy

« Reply #28 on: 6 Mar 2021, 02:06 am »
Finished the SVS ultra last night. They sound much better, especially in the vocal region. Much more detailed than before, but that’s not the whole story.

So, I got the crossover put together and soldered and decided that I wanted to do an a-b comparison between the two crossovers. so I installed both crossovers in the same speaker..bad idea. The new crossovers sounded very muffled and no width to the sound stage. Have no idea what was going on so I pulled the old crossover out and that did the trick! If anyone knows what was going on I would love to know.
If the two coils from the two crossovers were energized at the same time? Possible "transformer coupling type" interference between the two?
Anyway it's nice to hear about voice improvement  8)

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 8 Mar 2021, 01:59 pm »

When you swap between two crossovers you have to disconnect the one not in use at the drivers and at the source. Otherwise some elements are still in the circuit.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 8 Mar 2021, 02:22 pm »
When you swap between two crossovers you have to disconnect the one not in use at the drivers and at the source. Otherwise some elements are still in the circuit.
Hmm, thats good to know.
Is there a good, quality brass/copper based switch I could mount on the back to use to disconnect the stock crossover from the circuit for easier A/B comparisons?

big_heavy_vinyl

« Reply #31 on: 10 Mar 2021, 07:52 pm »

Do you have a photo of the crossover after it was together?

Bradlose

« Reply #32 on: 26 Mar 2021, 06:31 pm »

SVS Ultra cossover.

AverageNiceGuy

« Reply #33 on: 27 Mar 2021, 01:30 pm »

SVS Ultra cossover.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing the photo's  8)

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #34 on: 30 Mar 2021, 11:45 pm »
I've just completed the SVS Ultra center and bookshelf upgrades.  Based on just a couple hours of listening, I can agree that the vocals are greatly improved.  I listen mostly to SACD multichannel classical and jazz.  Surprisingly, and quite inexplicable, I had to lower my two SB13 Ultra subwoofers 2db.  Could just be a coincidence.  Audyssey is OFF until I have a chance to run it tomorrow morning (while everyone is asleep).  I use the app and limit frequency adjustment to 300 Hz.  Once Audyssey is complete, I let the new crossovers "burn in" for several days, and run REW, I'll have a better listening experience and can report back my thoughts.

Thanks...Marcus

AverageNiceGuy

« Reply #35 on: 31 Mar 2021, 03:02 pm »
I've just completed the SVS Ultra center and bookshelf upgrades.  Based on just a couple hours of listening, I can agree that the vocals are greatly improved.  I listen mostly to SACD multichannel classical and jazz.  Surprisingly, and quite inexplicable, I had to lower my two SB13 Ultra subwoofers 2db.  Could just be a coincidence.  Audyssey is OFF until I have a chance to run it tomorrow morning (while everyone is asleep).  I use the app and limit frequency adjustment to 300 Hz.  Once Audyssey is complete, I let the new crossovers "burn in" for several days, and run REW, I'll have a better listening experience and can report back my thoughts.

Thanks...Marcus

Cool!  8)
sadly, my upgrade is still in the box it shipped in. Been too busy to play with the upgrade, but I like what I'm reading  :D
« Last Edit: 3 Apr 2021, 02:11 pm by AverageNiceGuy »

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #36 on: 1 Apr 2021, 11:31 pm »
Audyssey completed.  Typical results.  Using the app, correction is limited to 300Hz.  Now that the distance and time alignment is complete, the speakers sound great.  If I didn't mention it, I installed NoRez.  I also replaced all the polyfill with insulation (Danny's preference).  I made sure not to block the ports.  Tinning and attaching the cables to the speakers was not easy (also, occasionally, the speaker magnets would attract my soldering iron - funny experience).

Mini rant:  I find it curious that audiophiles obsess over speaker cables (I use Bluejeans 12 gauge copper cables) only to discover speaker makers, like SVS, use aluminum cables inside the box.  Who knew?  I didn't, until learning about Danny's upgrades.

Yesterday, Ron at New Record Day co-hosted a video with Randy from Cheap Audio Man.  Randy was complaining about his difficulty with building one of Danny's crossover upgrades.  I could really sympathize.  It's not that difficult but tedious and time consuming.  Danny's videos are great but he makes it look way easier that it really is for a novice.  Plus, my 70 year old hands would cramp up from time to time.  I'm happy all three speakers are done.  Yes.  It was worth the effort.

Marcus

AverageNiceGuy

« Reply #37 on: 3 Apr 2021, 02:22 pm »
Audyssey completed.  ... Now that the distance and time alignment is complete, the speakers sound great.  If I didn't mention it, I installed NoRez.  I also replaced all the polyfill with insulation (Danny's preference).  I made sure not to block the ports.  Tinning and attaching the cables to the speakers was not easy (also, occasionally, the speaker magnets would attract my soldering iron - funny experience).

Mini rant:  I find it curious that audiophiles obsess over speaker cables (I use Bluejeans 12 gauge copper cables) only to discover speaker makers, like SVS, use aluminum cables inside the box.  Who knew?  I didn't, until learning about Danny's upgrades.

Yesterday, Ron at New Record Day co-hosted a video with Randy from Cheap Audio Man.  Randy was complaining about his difficulty with building one of Danny's crossover upgrades.  I could really sympathize.  It's not that difficult but tedious and time consuming.  Danny's videos are great but he makes it look way easier that it really is for a novice.  Plus, my 70 year old hands would cramp up from time to time.  I'm happy all three speakers are done.  Yes.  It was worth the effort.

Marcus
Good to hear that you got it done with good results  8)
I was planning to do mine with NoRez only, and all polyfill removed. You used NoRez and additional insulation?
BlueJeansCable: I liked the upgrade from zipcord to BlueJeansCable-12AWG on mine. In a phone conversation with Danny, he referred to BlueJeansCable as budget cable. I'll pursue his recommended cable in the future.
I am fairly experienced with soldering and electronics, but yes it does eat time.
I have a few projects with higher priority, so my SVS upgrade will have to wait a while longer.
Congratulations on getting it done!  8)

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #38 on: 6 Apr 2021, 05:01 pm »
I have several more days of listening completed.  Results continue to be excellent.  I listen mostly to classical music, multichannel SACD.  I've noted a great improvement in vocals across the left, center and right speakers (all three with Danny's upgrade).  For instance, I've listened to Chandos' (CHSA 5242) 2019 recording of Bliss: Mary of Magdala.  Also, LSO Live's (LSO0809) 2017 recording of Berlioz: La Damnation de Faust.  Each of these recordings have soloists and choirs.  All sound better than ever, not shrill or screechy.  The orchestra is clear and distinct.  Look, these are $500 each speakers.  I cannot claim they match Danny's NX-Oticas but my speakers are upgraded and I'm pleased.

Marcus

AverageNiceGuy

« Reply #39 on: 7 Apr 2021, 07:06 am »
I have several more days of listening completed.  Results continue to be excellent.  I listen mostly to classical music, multichannel SACD.  I've noted a great improvement in vocals across the left, center and right speakers (all three with Danny's upgrade).  For instance, I've listened to Chandos' (CHSA 5242) 2019 recording of Bliss: Mary of Magdala.  Also, LSO Live's (LSO0809) 2017 recording of Berlioz: La Damnation de Faust.  Each of these recordings have soloists and choirs.  All sound better than ever, not shrill or screechy.  The orchestra is clear and distinct.  Look, these are $500 each speakers.  I cannot claim they match Danny's NX-Oticas but my speakers are upgraded and I'm pleased.

Marcus
Thank you for this report. Congratulations  8)