Tweaks! Do these work?

Nico M

Re: Tweaks! Do these work?
« Reply #40 on: 24 Aug 2021, 06:12 pm »
Hi all,

I also do use tweaks A lot. As long as they are sensible.
I installed a low jitter masterclock in my CD player,  with it's own power supply.
Gave the digital circuit it's own 80VA toroidal transformer, with shottky rectifiers, and nichcon KG buffers.
Also i split up the power supply and divided,  so each chip got it's own regulated low noise feed. Spdif, decoder, dram etc, i removed the system clock, and gave each chip that needed it it's own low jitter clock.

The tweaks work. It changed my former mediocre Marantz CD72SE, to a really singing highend player.
Although i now use a seperate dac now, modding the player to use it as a transport,  was beneficial.
The cleaner the spdif signal enters the dac, the better it sounds...

Bluray

« Reply #41 on: 14 Sep 2021, 05:13 am »
Hi ! I am New to Audio Circle and looking forward to learn and exchange my experience in the audio hobbie.

Really enjoy using tweeks in my systems in all areas of the audio chain, cables, components, power source, room acoustics, etc. I have beeen successful with most of them and continue to try new Tweeks on a regular  basis.

Vibrations and RFI /EMF control tweeks have made the most positive impact in my systems. Shakti stones, BDR cones and shelves among are the most easy and simple ones to implement with high rate of success with careful placement and positioning of the tweaks and lots of experinting to tweak the components to my liking sound and reach synergy between all the components.

Good to be here !

Blackmore

« Reply #42 on: 14 Sep 2021, 11:08 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Bluray

Phil A

« Reply #43 on: 14 Sep 2021, 11:24 am »
Welcome as well!

DannyBadorine

« Reply #44 on: 14 Sep 2021, 03:03 pm »
Hi all,

I also do use tweaks A lot. As long as they are sensible.
I installed a low jitter masterclock in my CD player,  with it's own power supply.
Gave the digital circuit it's own 80VA toroidal transformer, with shottky rectifiers, and nichcon KG buffers.
Also i split up the power supply and divided,  so each chip got it's own regulated low noise feed. Spdif, decoder, dram etc, i removed the system clock, and gave each chip that needed it it's own low jitter clock.

The tweaks work. It changed my former mediocre Marantz CD72SE, to a really singing highend player.
Although i now use a seperate dac now, modding the player to use it as a transport,  was beneficial.
The cleaner the spdif signal enters the dac, the better it sounds...

Those tweaks make a lot of sense to me.  I've spent a lot of time with DAC's in recording studios and live mixing consoles.  The clocking and the clock power supply has a huge impact on the results.  Jitter is a significant problem and higher quality clocking makes all the difference.  With a good clock you can hear the image get wider and deeper.  You can hear the room sound on the drums.  You can hear the details of the reverb and delay on the vocals better.  You often hear things in recordings that you never knew were there.

Early B.

« Reply #45 on: 14 Sep 2021, 03:27 pm »
The clocking and the clock power supply has a huge impact on the results.  Jitter is a significant problem and higher quality clocking makes all the difference.  With a good clock you can hear the image get wider and deeper.  You can hear the room sound on the drums.  You can hear the details of the reverb and delay on the vocals better.  You often hear things in recordings that you never knew were there.

Absolutely!!  That's exactly what I experienced when I recently acquired a master clock. What separates high-end audio is separation. Generally, the more components you have with their own power supply, the better the sound. It's expensive, though -- no way around it.     

ogharaei

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jan 2022, 01:38 pm »
I have had cables make a difference, and some tweaks, but it is really difficult to figure out what is to be trusted. For instance, switching to "audiophile" feet on my DAC made no difference whatsoever, though that might have been my DAC, right? Switching to properly shielded power cables did make a difference, though, as did switching RCA/USB cables for something "high-grade."

I have become more and more weary of tweaks, not because I don't believe in them, but because they are so very hit and miss compared to other components.

DonaldK

« Reply #47 on: 4 Feb 2022, 07:08 am »
I'm looking to tweak some Elac Debut 6.2. The kit was purchased through GR Research. Looking for some pictures of completed crossover.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #48 on: 4 Feb 2022, 07:48 am »
I'm looking to tweak some Elac Debut 6.2. The kit was purchased through GR Research. Looking for some pictures of completed crossover.
This is the GR Research Circle.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=16.0

johnkenyon

« Reply #49 on: 20 Mar 2022, 02:43 am »
Although I have spent a significant sum of money over the years on tweaks, I have to agree with Letitroll98 - the biggest improvements have been simple and cheap; raise your speakers up, put some weight on top of electronics, run a dedicated electrical outlet to you system, vibration and skid feet for under washers and dryers are great for under a speaker/sub, and linear power supplies make everything sound better.

Ed_Zachary

« Reply #50 on: 20 Apr 2022, 01:23 pm »
The one "tweak" that I have tried that made a noticeable difference to me were the vibrapods and cones.

They are not very costly and are designed to isolate your electronics from external vibrations, You can try a set under your turntable or disk spinner and see what you think. If your ears smile, proceed to place a set under your various electronica.

(OF NOTE: the pods come with different weight support ratings, so you will want to know how much your particular piece of equipment weighs and buy accordingly. ALSO: there exists some debate as to whether an odd number of pod/cones are "better" than an even number. As is usual in this hobby of ours, ain't nothing simple. FINALLY: they warn you not to put the pods on wood surfaces. That is extremely very good advice. a simple playing card  between a wood shelf and the pod is sufficient to prevent the pod from leaving a permanent mark.

http://vibrapod.com/

Available at most boutique audio stores and Amazon.

danbmellow123

« Reply #51 on: 25 Apr 2022, 05:25 am »
Thanks for the Maple Shade link.  There is enough cheap/free tweaks to keep an incessant tweaker like me busy for years.  :D

Soffer

« Reply #52 on: 8 Jun 2022, 04:07 pm »
In my opinion tweaking your room with tweakmants (sorry, couldn't resist) is the best bang for your buck. Purchase an audio microphone and use the free software REW to get an understanding what the acoustics are doing in your room. Then you can build your own treatments. There is a bit of a learning curve but the reward, especially since you learned and built everything yourself, is great.

Soffer

« Reply #53 on: 8 Jun 2022, 10:13 pm »
I should also add that I tried the Synergistic Research HFT's before building room treatments. I find what they do interesting. In my room, on some music, the sound wraps around the room. I can distinctly hear stuff coming from behind me to the sides. My room is 11' x 21' and the stereo is at one end. After installing the room treatments I put some of the HFT's back up. I find them to be a fun tweak. 

I'm still tuning my room. Using REW, I can see exactly how I am affecting the sound. You cannot really measure the benefits of changing a power cord or applying vibration reduction but you can measure acoustic tweaks.

This has been my pandemic project. It's been fun. I still have a ways to go.

skifasterslc

« Reply #54 on: 9 Jun 2022, 06:32 pm »
Soffer,  I am curious about the HFT's , can you explain further - How many did you use ( I think they come 5 in a box) where did you put them? I need to get REW, I keep putting if off

Thanks

sameguy

« Reply #55 on: 19 Jun 2022, 08:13 pm »
Here is one I think most people wouldn't argue with.  I was somewhat surprised to see a this video.  Hope it ok to link.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRV0tOs8IQY&t=4s

Todd H

« Reply #56 on: 20 Jun 2023, 09:47 am »
The one "tweak" that I have tried that made a noticeable difference to me were the vibrapods and cones.

I have to agree on this one. I've looked at these things for years thinking they were gimmicky. Part of the problem was the price point. Seemed to cheap to be worthwhile. Seems like anything that improves our sound systems comes at a premium. On a whim I bought some of these off Amazon and wow, they really work. Absolutely woke my CD player up. Made an improvement under my amplifier and power supply for pre-amp. However, sound was worse when I added the 4th set under the power supply for the CD player. Fascinating.

Todd

snaimpally

« Reply #57 on: 28 Nov 2023, 10:47 pm »
Stabilant 22. Originally designed for NASA. It improves the electrical connection at the molecular level. I use it on all interconnects.

mlac99

« Reply #58 on: 22 Mar 2024, 07:20 pm »
Stabilant 22. Originally designed for NASA. It improves the electrical connection at the molecular level. I use it on all interconnects.

This one?
https://www.micro-tools.de/en/Contact-Enhancer/Stabilant-22-5ml-Kit-Makes-30ml-of-Stab.html

How much of that can be spent on a hi-fi system?
It's a bit expensive...

richidoo

« Reply #59 on: 22 Mar 2024, 09:09 pm »
It's a bit expensive...

MCT oil is the poor audiophile's contact enhancer.
Like all oils, it has double the dielectric strength of air, so it prevents micro-arcing.
Unlike other oils, it never dries out, oxidizes nor freezes. Easily removed with contact cleaner spray.
Unlike Stabilant22, MCT oil is yummy in coffee, causes weight loss and cures most chronic illnesses.
$15/quart  :thumb: