Integrating a A370PEQ based sub with avr AND stereo setups

anm

HI,
While my dual woofer sub build it underway, I have few noob questions as to how it will fit into my system.
I wish to keep a separate stereo amp for music. Though I have only one pair of floorstanding speakers at this point (thiel 1.6) , and I would like to keep only one, I may add another pair of bookshelves - x-ls encore maybe.

For a single sub setup, I have a couple of questions

Q1 (a) - From my AVR's subwoofer out - where should I connect? I guess line in - so to left or to right?

Q1 (b) - is the crossover applied on both line level inputs AND speaker level inputs?

Q 2 - For integration with a 2 channel system - should I

2(a). use speaker level out from amp, then to sub, and then from sub's speaker level out to speaker terminals?

OR

2 (b). parallel wire speaker level out from amp, one set goes directly to speakers, another set goes to speaker level of amp. Should I take both left and right out in this case?

3. If I keep two separate setups - 2 channel and surround

3(a) - use same speakers but different amps for different application - can I use the sub in both without having to change wires?

3(b) - use different speakers with different amps - can I use the sub in both without having to change wires?

I may add another sub, after experiencing first sub and how it fits into my space :)

Early B.

Re: Integrating a A370PEQ based sub with avr AND stereo setups
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2013, 04:41 am »
Q1 (a)-- doesn't matter

Q1 (b), Q2 (a) & (b)  -- don't use the speaker level inputs. You don't want to run the risk of degrading your signal by passing it through another amp if you can avoid it. Keep it simple.

Q3 (a) & (b) -- if you use the same sub, you'll have to change the settings every time you switch from one system to the other. Consider separate subs for HT and two-channel. Each sub serves very different purposes anyway, so don't bother using one sub for both applications. You'll get different opinions on this issue.

FWIW -- I have two separate HT and 2-channel systems (each system has a sub), but they share the same front speakers. I have a set of speaker cables for each system. If I want to run my HT system, I simply unplug the 2-channel speaker cables on the back of the speakers and plug in the HT speaker cables.     

dragoonxp20

« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2013, 05:24 am »
In regards to Q3. Some 2 channel pre-amps have a HT bypass which allows you to use the same set of speakers and possibly subs as well for both applications.

WC

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2013, 12:00 pm »
Did you already get the amps? The regular PEQ amp isn't ideal for this setup. You could get the PEQ3 amp which has separate LFE and line inputs. The LFE in is meant to be used from an AVR with the AVR setting the crossover. The line in would use the internal low pass crossover on the sub for use with 2 channel equipment. If you are sharing the same speakers for 2 channel and HT use it is best to get a preamp with a HT bypass function. If you have two different sets of speakers than it shouldn't matter.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2013, 12:39 pm »
Q1 (a) - From my AVR's subwoofer out - where should I connect? I guess line in - so to left or to right?

Either one or both.

Q1 (b) - is the crossover applied on both line level inputs AND speaker level inputs?

The controls all function the same regardless of which input you use.

Q 2 - For integration with a 2 channel system - should I

2(a). use speaker level out from amp, then to sub, and then from sub's speaker level out to speaker terminals?

No, there are no speaker level outs.

OR

2 (b). parallel wire speaker level out from amp, one set goes directly to speakers, another set goes to speaker level of amp. Should I take both left and right out in this case?

You can hook it up that way.

3. If I keep two separate setups - 2 channel and surround

3(a) - use same speakers but different amps for different application - can I use the sub in both without having to change wires?

3(b) - use different speakers with different amps - can I use the sub in both without having to change wires?

If you send the servo amp a signal via an RCA input from your source then you can leave it alone while swapping speakers and amps.

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2013, 12:42 pm »
Did you already get the amps? The regular PEQ amp isn't ideal for this setup. You could get the PEQ3 amp which has separate LFE and line inputs. The LFE in is meant to be used from an AVR with the AVR setting the crossover. The line in would use the internal low pass crossover on the sub for use with 2 channel equipment.

Actually the standard A370PEQ works just fine with this set up. If you want to use the crossover slope of a receiver then just set the crossover setting on the A370PEQ amp all the way up.

WC

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2013, 02:29 pm »
Actually the standard A370PEQ works just fine with this set up. If you want to use the crossover slope of a receiver then just set the crossover setting on the A370PEQ amp all the way up.

Danny,

Wouldn't you need to readjust the crossover setting everytime you switched between 2 channel and HT? If you are listening to 2 channel you would want to use the sub's crossover, but for HT you would want to use the AVR's so you would need to turn the crossover setting all the way up.

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2013, 02:43 pm »
Danny,

Wouldn't you need to readjust the crossover setting everytime you switched between 2 channel and HT? If you are listening to 2 channel you would want to use the sub's crossover, but for HT you would want to use the AVR's so you would need to turn the crossover setting all the way up.

Yes.

However, the more ideal method would be to set the AVR to send a full range signal to the sub or select a very high crossover point. Then use the controls on the plate amp to set your crossover point. Then you could leave it and not have to mess with it for home theater or two channel play.

anm

« Reply #8 on: 2 Jun 2013, 10:03 am »
Yes.

However, the more ideal method would be to set the AVR to send a full range signal to the sub or select a very high crossover point. Then use the controls on the plate amp to set your crossover point. Then you could leave it and not have to mess with it for home theater or two channel play.

if I set a very high crossover point - say 200Hz - will the main speakers get everything above 200 - and then if I set sub at lower, then some frequencies would miss?
Or do you mean that I set a high crossover, and then keep main speakers as "large" so send everything to them as well as everything below 200 Hz to the sub? And then decide the best crossover freq that integrates sub and mains?

So if I use only one set of speakers - in that case I won't need to change anything- but I would still need to switch speaker cables of left/ right speakers from avr to stereo amp. Sadly my NAD C375 doesn't have an HT passthrough.

But if I have 2 sets of speakers, each may need to be crossed over at different freq and therefore I will have to change the crossover setting each time. BUT I won't need to switch the cables. Right?

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 4 Jun 2013, 03:51 pm »
anm,

A lot of what you are wanting to do depends on the capabilities of your receiver.

Ideally you want to set the speaker size to "large" if that is an option.

anm

« Reply #10 on: 4 Jun 2013, 06:50 pm »
it does have a large/ small option. my avr is nad 785 and main speakers are thiel 1.6.
my bookshelves are being put in a cabinet and hopefully I'd get them soon.
I would like to have a dual sub setup. just can't wait to see and listen the first sub. again, it is being "cabbed", so hope to get it maybe end of this week, or maybe next.

anm

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jun 2013, 06:53 pm »
if I set a very high crossover point - say 200Hz - will the main speakers get everything above 200 - and then if I set sub at lower, then some frequencies would miss?
Or do you mean that I set a high crossover, and then keep main speakers as "large" so send everything to them as well as everything below 200 Hz to the sub? And then decide the best crossover freq that integrates sub and mains?

So if I use only one set of speakers - in that case I won't need to change anything- but I would still need to switch speaker cables of left/ right speakers from avr to stereo amp. Sadly my NAD C375 doesn't have an HT passthrough.

But if I have 2 sets of speakers, each may need to be crossed over at different freq and therefore I will have to change the crossover setting each time. BUT I won't need to switch the cables. Right?

is above correct?

so, even after doing all this, I will have to change the crossover manually each time I wish to switch the speakers. doesn't sound that bad right now. it is better than switching speaker cables each time - which I will have to do if I keep 2 amps and one set of speakers. Are there any good speaker switchers out there that are transparent without adding color of their own, while not costing a fortune?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 4 Jun 2013, 11:10 pm »
it does have a large/ small option. my avr is nad 785 and main speakers are thiel 1.6.
my bookshelves are being put in a cabinet and hopefully I'd get them soon.
I would like to have a dual sub setup. just can't wait to see and listen the first sub. again, it is being "cabbed", so hope to get it maybe end of this week, or maybe next.

anm,

You can accomplish what you are wanting with the NAD T785, one set of speakers and the sub.  You connect the sub (LFE) pre-out from the 785 to the A370PEQ's line in connection and set the sub's crossover as high as it will go. With the 785 you can preset different configurations/parameters for different types of material using the A/V Preset function (page 31 in the user's manual). You can set up one preset for movies and another for music. This is the best way if you want to set different crossover points for music and movies.

If you don't want to set different crossover points you can simply select the "stereo" listening mode. If you have an NAD AVR 4 remote you press the "SURR" button until "stereo" shows in the display for music or the multi-channel mode you want for movies. This is how I set up my NAD T748.

I set my fronts to small then selected a 60Hz crossover point.  All NAD's have a first order, 6dB/octave LPF for the crossovers. Since 60Hz with a 6dB slope matches well with my current main speakers which are -3dB at 45Hz I haven't bothered with setting up separate A/V Presets. When I listen to music I select the stereo mode and for movies I select from the surround modes available. These vary depending on what audio formats the movie is recorded in.

Your NAD C375 has two sets of pre-outs. Connect one set to the power amp in jacks on the 375 and the other set to the subs line in jacks then use the sub's crossover. However, you do not need both the 375 and the 785 in the same system. Use the 785's A/V presets or listening mode function and then use the 375 in a different room where you only want to listen to music.  I have both a NAD T748 AVR and C372 stereo amp and this is how I use them. The 748 handles both 5.1 and 2.1 duties in the room with a TV and the 372 runs a 2.1 system in my office.

Mike
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2013, 12:32 am by mlundy57 »

anm

« Reply #13 on: 5 Jun 2013, 03:16 am »

anm,

You can accomplish what you are wanting with the NAD T785, one set of speakers and the sub.  You connect the sub (LFE) pre-out from the 785 to the A370PEQ's line in connection and set the sub's crossover as high as it will go. With the 785 you can preset different configurations/parameters for different types of material using the A/V Preset function (page 31 in the user's manual). You can set up one preset for movies and another for music. This is the best way if you want to set different crossover points for music and movies.

If you don't want to set different crossover points you can simply select the "stereo" listening mode. If you have an NAD AVR 4 remote you press the "SURR" button until "stereo" shows in the display for music or the multi-channel mode you want for movies. This is how I set up my NAD T748.

I set my fronts to small then selected a 60Hz crossover point.  All NAD's have a first order, 6dB/octave LPF for the crossovers. Since 60Hz with a 6dB slope matches well with my current main speakers which are -3dB at 45Hz I haven't bothered with setting up separate A/V Presets. When I listen to music I select the stereo mode and for movies I select from the surround modes available. These vary depending on what audio formats the movie is recorded in.

Your NAD C375 has two sets of pre-outs. Connect one set to the power amp in jacks on the 375 and the other set to the subs line in jacks then use the sub's crossover. However, you do not need both the 375 and the 785 in the same system. Use the 785's A/V presets or listening mode function and then use the 375 in a different room where you only want to listen to music.  I have both a NAD T748 AVR and C372 stereo amp and this is how I use them. The 748 handles both 5.1 and 2.1 duties in the room with a TV and the 372 runs a 2.1 system in my office.

Mike

thanks. you do know your avr very well. unfortunately, I can not do this in a separate room. and I really do want to try different stereo amp and bookshelves over time.
I currently have done exactly what u have adviced. Have created another preset for 2 channel listening - where I run without cross over and without dsp directly to my floorstanders, without sub being involved.

ricardojoa

« Reply #14 on: 6 Jun 2013, 09:32 am »
Hi,
since someone had posted a question regarding the PEQ amp, i would like to know if i can share one PEQ amp (rythmik sub) with two system. I will have a 2 ch system with the dedicated amp and speakers and another avr with another set of speakers. But will want to share the sub. Line left for HT and line right for 2 ch. Of course, they will not be played at the same time. Just wanted to know if this kind of connection is possible without causing malfunction and damage.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:08 pm »
Hi,
since someone had posted a question regarding the PEQ amp, i would like to know if i can share one PEQ amp (rythmik sub) with two system. I will have a 2 ch system with the dedicated amp and speakers and another avr with another set of speakers. But will want to share the sub. Line left for HT and line right for 2 ch. Of course, they will not be played at the same time. Just wanted to know if this kind of connection is possible without causing malfunction and damage.

I don't think there will be any problem with that.

anm

« Reply #16 on: 6 Jun 2013, 04:32 pm »
Hi,

to me it sounds to be the exact same thing that I asked :) two setups, shared sub. Nicely put in lesser words  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 6 Jun 2013, 08:24 pm »
Unless your 2 channel system combines the lower frequencies from the left and right channels into a single SW channel you would need to do something a little different.

The NAD C375 does not do this. You would need to connect both the left and right channels from the C375 to the left and right line inputs on the PEQ amp. To connect the AVR to the same time you will need one "Y" adapter at the PEQ plate amp. I don't think it matters whether the Y adapter is connected to the left or right of the PEQ. If you connect the Y adapter to the right channel of the PEQ you would connect the left channel from the C375 directly to the left input of the PEQ. Then the right channel from the C375 would be connected to one leg of the Y adapter and the LFE input from the T785 AVR would be connected to the other leg of the Y adapter.

That will get both systems hooked up to the same sub but still leaves you with an issue if you want to set different crossover frequencies for the towers and the bookshelves.

One option would be to get an external crossover for the C375, something like a dbx Pro Audio 223S http://www.dbxpro.com/en-US/products/223s . You would connect the C375's left and right pre-out channels to the external crossover. Then connect the external crossover's left and right channel high frequency outputs to the C375's power amp inputs and the low frequency output to the Sub's PEQ amp. This crossover gives you the option to sum the low frequencies from both channels into a single output. This would eliminate the need for the Y adapter at the sub. You would connect the T785 to one of the line input channels of the PEQ and the external crossover to the other channel.

You would then set the sub's crossover all the way up and use the AVR's bass management for that system and the external crossover for the bookshelf system.

Mike