power cord

drmike

power cord
« on: 5 Dec 2012, 07:50 pm »
what ia a good power cord for the ncores (dual mono).
thanks,
drmike

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
Re: power cord
« Reply #1 on: 5 Dec 2012, 08:32 pm »
Any with copper wires covered with rubber.

cheap-Jack

« Reply #2 on: 5 Dec 2012, 08:50 pm »
Hi.
Any with copper wires covered with rubber.

I wish !

c-J

Julf

« Reply #3 on: 6 Dec 2012, 02:26 pm »
OK, so a slightly different question - has anyone found a *bad* power cord (that actually affects the sound of the nc400 in a negative way)?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 6 Dec 2012, 03:46 pm »
  If one desires to use a aftermarket cord we would suggest a Triode Wire Labs 7+ PC. Merrill and Arion recco this cord for their amps which are similar to the N-Core.
  Since it is a kit I would strongly recco hard wiring the cord.  Eliminating the IEC and numerous connections has its sonic benefits. TWL offers a 30 day trial period for evaluation. Ya don't like it return it and get your money back.

charles

Julf

« Reply #5 on: 6 Dec 2012, 05:05 pm »
Eliminating the IEC and numerous connections has its sonic benefits.

Thanks - what would be causing the sonic benefits, and what kind of sonic benefits could we expect?

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 6 Dec 2012, 05:57 pm »
   For starters a solid  and tighter connection. Less Resistance Impedance and inductance.  No extra dielectric to deal with. The sonic benefits are more info available in a cleaner fashion. Ya just hear more of the subtle cues that remind us of the real deal.  A simple solution without being simpler.

charles

Julf

« Reply #7 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:12 pm »
For starters a solid  and tighter connection. Less Resistance Impedance and inductance.

I can see the lower resistance, but will it really matter? I don't see how the inductance would change. Do you have any measurements to illustrate the resistance/impedance/inductance change?

The sonic benefits are more info available in a cleaner fashion. Ya just hear more of the subtle cues that remind us of the real deal.

Have you actually tested your cable specifically with a hypex nc400? With the hypex SMPS? Why would a reduction in the power cord resistance affect an amp with a SMPS - and especially, how would it make the sound "cleaner"?

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 6 Dec 2012, 06:28 pm »
    Here we go again. I'll leave the measurements to Lew Johnson and Frank Van Alstine. Just ask Frank about IEC connections and thier ills.

charles

paul canady

« Reply #9 on: 6 Dec 2012, 07:00 pm »
I wouldn't worry about measurements. Find some different power cords to demo and if they make a nice noticeable difference to you then that's all that matters. If they don't improve your listening pleasure then consider yourself lucky since you saved some money. I wasn't so lucky.

Julf

« Reply #10 on: 6 Dec 2012, 08:16 pm »
Here we go again.

Indeed. A bunch of unsubstantiated claims. Could you at least answer my question about specifically testing them with the hypex nc400 and SMPS?

Just as a reference point, I did actually test the nc400/smps600 combo with a bunch of different power cords, with and without IEC connectors. The cheapest was a horrible piece of lamp cord I happened to have in the junk box. No audible difference.

paul canady

« Reply #11 on: 6 Dec 2012, 10:01 pm »

No audible difference.

You saved yourself some money to spend on better speakers etc.... which is awesome. I wonder if two speakers that measured the same could still sound different?

JerryLove

« Reply #12 on: 6 Dec 2012, 10:13 pm »
You saved yourself some money to spend on better speakers etc.... which is awesome. I wonder if two speakers that measured the same could still sound different?
That would depend on the comprehensiveness of your measurements (and whether you are assuming completely identical listening conditions).

No one takes measurements complete enough to guarentee that matching measurements = matching sound. And if someone did, no two speakers would exactly match in measurements, even if the speakers were of identical construction with identical parts. Turns out instruments are *very* sensitive.

Indeed: you can use mics to tell things like the moisture level in the air. Something I, for one, cannot hear.

So your question, though perhaps seeming scientific, is actually philosophical.

werd

« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2012, 11:29 pm »
Indeed. A bunch of unsubstantiated claims. Could you at least answer my question about specifically testing them with the hypex nc400 and SMPS?

Just as a reference point, I did actually test the nc400/smps600 combo with a bunch of different power cords, with and without IEC connectors. The cheapest was a horrible piece of lamp cord I happened to have in the junk box. No audible difference.

Don't bother Rollo

This one's a troll

drmike

« Reply #14 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:02 am »
All i wanted was a few suggestions!
Thanks,
drmike

cheap-Jack

« Reply #15 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:28 am »
Hi.
  :scratch:

So to substantiate what you claimed, .....

So please be more specific:- what test you did? By measurement or what?

If by measurements, please quote us what did you measure & what data you got?

"No audible difference" applies to the audio system you are using or what?

So please specify what audio rig you used for the audio test?

c-J

decal

« Reply #16 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:40 am »
The proverbial

has been opened once again.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #17 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:48 am »
I'll give him (Rollo) the part about not all IEC cords are what they seem to be.  I measured several that I had around the house with a very nice Keithley 4 terminal Ohm-meter. Some were OK, but others had very high end to end resistance.

Airborn

« Reply #18 on: 7 Dec 2012, 12:55 am »
The proverbial

has been opened once again.
Good one. :lol: :lol:

The countdown to the Intergalactic Wastebin begins!

*Scotty*

« Reply #19 on: 7 Dec 2012, 01:18 am »
About 30 years ago a friend of mine, Bill Westerfield, first turned me on to changing out my wall receptacles and building powercords with Hubble hosptital grade cord caps. His criteria was the total milliohms that the combination of Hubble cord cap had when plugged into the wall receptacle. At that time the lowest milliohm combination measured by him was a Hubble cord cap paired with the 20 amp Leviton Decora Line receptacle.
 The change from the stock receptacles in the walls of the living room to the Leviton receptacles was dramatic enough that my wife noticed the change in sound quality and asked me what I had done and how much money I had spent. I dodged that bullet when I was able to tell her that I spent less than 10 dollars total for the 3 receptacles I purchased.
Scotty