626r vs. Onix Ref 1 Review. Comments?.......

Sa-dono

« Reply #80 on: 29 May 2003, 10:50 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg

i think so, but i'm not sure now...i have an idea...Shokunin, please bring your gear back so we can run another test...this time we'll record the changes we make and their associated effects...John, please bring your ...

Sounds good to me. If we were somehow able to get Shokunin to sneek out of the house this weekend then we could compare the preamps too :lol:

Sa-dono

« Reply #81 on: 29 May 2003, 10:54 pm »
Quote from: John Casler

Shunyata has E-Mail  

And I already talked to their rep yesterday.

I should have the pricing soon.

Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!  :D

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #82 on: 29 May 2003, 11:04 pm »
Quote from: F-100
I have to concur with you on this one. I own both VMPS Super Tower/R and QSO 626 center and I've to say that the craftmanship is far below the professional level. If I'm Brian Cheney, I would fire the current cabinet maker and subcontract them out to people that can build a professional cabinet  like  Darren Thomas and Brian Bunge. If anyone who think the look of cabinet is not important,  let me tell you it is one of the major "WAF" if  you have a picky wife like mine  :-).

Sorry, this is not a flame t ...

Agreed.

I know Mark Shifter's associates are doing cabinets for Hsu in that Rosewood color.

There are many possibilities in China to do amazing cabinetry!

Such gorgeous cabinetry mated with VMPS technology would make for quite a pleasing view!!  Yum.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #83 on: 29 May 2003, 11:08 pm »
John,
What are the settings at w/the 626R's?  If they are set from the factory at the same place my 40s were when I got them, they are WAY too high.  Mine were set at 1 o'clock for the mids, and about 2:30 for the highs.  I've ended up with my "final" settings MUCH lower, with the mids set now to 11 oclock, and the highs set to around 10 o'clock.  Much fuller, meatier, more dynamic sound.  Jason Wong has had the exact same experience with his 626R's, and I'm pretty sure that Wayne has also.  I can only conclude that the LEDE room that Brian tunes his speakers in absorbs a LOT of the mid/highs.  In a "normal" room, I find his recommended settings too high.

Anyway, try dialing down the 626R's mid and high settings considerably, and I think you will find that their "presence" and solidity (especially in the critical lower mids) improves substantially.  With the factory settings, the VMPS ribbon speakers just sound too "light".  Very airy, but lacking in body and substance.  JMHO, but try it out. . .

shokunin

« Reply #84 on: 29 May 2003, 11:19 pm »
Quote from: Sa-dono

nope...the 777ES went in at the same time as the bottlehead...

So did we plug in the PT gear into the Shunyata at that same time, and then finally go analog? If so, then that sounds right.

Hurry up and become a Shunyata dealer John :D

i think so, but i'm not sure now...i have an idea...Shokunin, please bring your gear back so we can run another test...this time we'll record the changes we make and their associated effects...John, please bring your ...

Sounds like a plan to me :D.  I also thought faint memory that we hooked up both the Hydra and XA at the same time going through the P-Tech gear.  John, I'll be in LA area a few times next week visiting some clients and could stop by with the Hydra if you have time.  You can see if it works in your setup and if the bass was the result of the power conditioning or if itwas the combinatio nof the XA and the Hydra.

Kishore

« Reply #85 on: 29 May 2003, 11:32 pm »
I compared Shunyata Hydra, Stealth (audio magic?) and modded BPT in my system- my modded balanced BPT (by Alan Maher) was slightly better wrt cleaner sound and more slam, less noise on video and better blacks.

The effect of using any of above depends on:

a. how dirty your incoming PS is and
b. you have 'true ground reference in your outlet..(esp for balanced power)

Cheers,
Kishore

John Casler

« Reply #86 on: 30 May 2003, 02:57 am »
Quote from: Tyson
John,
What are the settings at w/the 626R's?  If they are set from the factory at the same place my 40s were when I got them, they are WAY too high.  Mine were set at 1 o'clock for the mids, and about 2:30 for the highs.  I've ended up with my "final" settings MUCH lower, with the mids set now to 11 oclock, and the highs set to around 10 o'clock.  Much fuller, meatier, more dynamic sound.  Jason Wong has had the exact same experience with his 626R's, and I'm pretty sure that Wayne has also.  I can only con ...

Hi Tyson,

I finally looked at them.  The reason they already sound pretty good is they are set at 10:00 - 10:30.

On my RM40s I'm down to 9:45-10:00.

John Casler

« Reply #87 on: 30 May 2003, 03:00 am »
John, I'll be in LA area a few times next week visiting some clients and could stop by with the Hydra if you have time. You can see if it works in your setup and if the bass was the result of the power conditioning or if itwas the combinatio nof the XA and the Hydra.

Hey Now-w-w-w-w!! :D  :D

How cool would that be?  Yeah, I'd really like to try that thing out here and see if the difference is as dramatic.

Just call me when you know your schedule.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #88 on: 30 May 2003, 04:02 am »
Quote from: Ravi
Jim, try not to post when your drunk...

And about why VMPS technology should win every time, well 3 people picked the Ref1 as their choise in this shootout, of which one of them owned neither one.  That is the opinion I trust the most.  

"If you like the slower cone/dome, you are not interested in accuracy."

This is such a stupidly ignorant comment.  Even VMPS owners (Tyson, TheeChosenOne) have showed a lot of class in this thread, and they own RM40s.

I've talked to a few people that preferred  ...

My analysis: the comparison was rabidly flawed, as is (you're) lack of spelling skill.  Any comparison where someone chooses the Ref 1 over a 626R was flawed from the start.  At my place, I'd let you tweek the Ref 1 for days, with all stock, standard, neutral audio components in a well treated room.  If you want to bet that over 1/2 the audiophiles would prefer the 626R, I'd put the it in writing.  You name the price, I'll consider it.  Will you please stop comparing me to other posters, which has nothing to do with audio?  Audio is not a personallity contest.   Try the mismanners billboard.  To suggest that the Onix Ref 1 is better than the 626R is...well I was gonna say it's "stupidly ignorant" but that is about the dumbest choice of words ever.  If someone likes the Ref 1, I don't care, that's fine.  Some people may like dog food more than a gourmet meal, don't blame me.

Ravi

« Reply #89 on: 30 May 2003, 04:32 am »
Jim, the only thing you can do is nitpick at my spelling?  Damn, do you have a crowbar shoved up your ass?  How anal retentive can you get.  And yeah, check the spelling in that.

The phrase, "Stupidly ignorant" is a stupid phrase fit for an old stupid man like yourself.   It fits you perfectly.

You should stick to being a fireman.  You not only don't add anything to audio, you give it a bad name.  Sell your B.S.  somewhere else.

Sa-dono

« Reply #90 on: 30 May 2003, 04:36 am »
Quote from: RibbonSpeakers.net
My analysis: the comparison was rabidly flawed, as is (you're) lack of spelling skill. Any comparison where someone chooses the Ref 1 over a 626R was flawed from the start. At my place, I'd let you tweek the Ref 1 for days, with all stock, standard, neutral audio components in a well treated room. If you want to bet that over 1/2 the audiophiles would prefer the 626R, I'd put the it in writing. You name the price, I'll consider it. Will you please stop comparing me to other posters, which has nothing to do with audio? Audio is not a personallity contest. Try the mismanners billboard. To suggest that the Onix Ref 1 is better than the 626R is...well I was gonna say it's "stupidly ignorant" but that is about the dumbest choice of words ever. If someone likes the Ref 1, I don't care, that's fine. Some people may like dog food more than a gourmet meal, don't blame me.

Wow..this is the pot calling the kettle black. Besides your ignorance, you obviously lack the ability to spell and use proper grammar. Please look at the the quotes in bold for examples. I guess you must eat dog food ;)  :mrgreen:  :lol:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #91 on: 30 May 2003, 04:48 am »
That's pretty funny.   :lol:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #92 on: 30 May 2003, 05:14 am »
if 51 folks outta 100 prefer the the 626r to the onix ref 1 in yer rig, ya win the bet, but i guess yer rig is still "rabidly flawed", cuz even *one* person preferred the onix?  and, the other 49 must prefer dogfood to gourmet?   :o  

jim, yure not only helplessly biased, yure warped.   if brian has any sense, he'll revoke your dealership; you do him a big disservice.  

doug s.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Jim
« Reply #93 on: 30 May 2003, 03:08 pm »
Jim may sound weird online, but in person he's pretty normal and he's a lot bigger than I am.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #94 on: 30 May 2003, 03:18 pm »
:lol:   thanks, brian, for keeping things in perspective!

regards,

doug s., satisfied vmps owner

TheeeChosenOne

Re: Jim
« Reply #95 on: 30 May 2003, 04:22 pm »
Quote from: Brian Cheney
Jim may sound weird online, but in person he's pretty normal and he's a lot bigger than I am.

Still.......I've never heard a dealer talk that way.  I also take it in a manner of being more *bad* than good.

You should still reign him in a little Brian.  It'll be good for business.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Jim
« Reply #96 on: 30 May 2003, 05:06 pm »
I will try various snares and lassos.

azryan

« Reply #97 on: 30 May 2003, 08:41 pm »
Possibly a dog collar might be the best harness for such canine-centric twit?

He makes the speed of a planar sound like the be all/end all of what makes a speaker accurate.

Logans are very fast right? They have awful freq. response though.

Obviously you can then say VMPS has very flat freq., but I've always wanted to see measurments of where the peaks and dips are since no VMPS is +/-0db.

What about a row of cones all working together and hardly moving like in many line source designs greatly improving the start/stop time? At real world levels is there really so great a difference in speed in creating sound waves.

Also, VMPS all use that old outdated useless technology of cones. And that VMPS planar it totally diff. technology as the FST ribbon also, so you have a ribbon tweeter needed for little more than a top octave or sound (unless your dog likes to listen w/ you while you both share a light snack?)

And that ribbon has a transformer on it right? Plus needing a high pass x-over, and both a high and low pass x-over on the Neo panel, and another low pass on the woofer. That's a lot of x-over that the signal's passing through.
Then you have the pots also of which there should be only one setting where the speaker itself is it's flattest, but people are all tweaking the pots to this and that in their rooms to taste, not to some exact technical room based measurement.
That's 'real world' flexability which does seem good to me, but is that accuaracy in it's ultimate, blowing everything else in existance away? C'mon.

I'm sure it's still awesome (VMPS were 2nd place on my short list of world class speakers to get next), but that's not like some flawless miracle design from the hand of god. Sorry Brian. Not to rip of your design. I just felt the need to add to the others who see a fool here in action spouting claims that just don't make any sense to rational logical people.

A planar can't move any air to realistically create the feel of drums, and other large air moving instruments. How's that world's more realistic than a carefully designed/implemented cone that can move that air?

There's up and downs, but not 'right and wrongs' when you get into this level of tremendous quality IMO.

There's no other explanation to the fact that some many great monitors all sound fantastic to people, with one of them being the 626R.

John Casler

« Reply #98 on: 30 May 2003, 08:57 pm »
I'm sure it's still awesome (VMPS were 2nd place on my short list of world class speakers to get next), but that's not like some flawless miracle design from the hand of god.

Hey AZ, What  speaker is in the front spot of the "short" list?

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
Re: spkrs
« Reply #99 on: 30 May 2003, 10:57 pm »
hello brian,

we simply didn't have enough time to do as much listening as we would've all liked due to the budget speaker comparison that took place prior to the Ref 1 and 626 comparison...i would've liked to have had more time w/ both the Ref1s and 626s especially w/ the addition of the bottlehead, shunyata and XA777ES SACD player...

if the teeny little 5.25" woof performed as most 5.25" drivers, i most certainly would have sent it back...after all, one of the benefits of the internet biz model is t ...

That can of course be easily arranged as Brian and I go way back... and I trust and like him...  :)

Nice place this "circle"... and even Ribbonspeakers.net has a place here...  :P --- so it must be good...

Wishing you all the very best...

mls

(Currently in Seoul, So. Korea)...