ZZ Top

GerryD

ZZ Top
« on: 17 Mar 2020, 07:51 pm »
The documentary of "the little band from Texas" currently on Netflix is interesting and well-done.

skifasterslc

Re: ZZ Top
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2020, 09:33 pm »
Yes it is, I enjoyed it as well

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2020, 12:50 am »
Watched it as well and feel I have a new respect for the band. My go to album is the dvd Live in Germany Rockpalast '80, IMO this was their finest hour. Also have another ZZ Top dvd with different songs some I like like Pearl Necklace, but recording and performance isn't near as good as Live in Germany '80.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2020, 12:55 am »
I liked it too. I'm a sucker for the rockumentaries of bands I grew up listening to. I know I have a well worn "Tres Hombres" LP in the archives. May be more, but it's been ages since I looked.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2020, 01:22 am »
I'll have to check it out, now that I'm forced into having the time.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2020, 02:26 am »
I liked it too. I'm a sucker for the rockumentaries of bands I grew up listening to. I know I have a well worn "Tres Hombres" LP in the archives. May be more, but it's been ages since I looked.

Tres Hombres is in my personal top 10. The hi rez download is sonic nirvana. Love it!

Brettio

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2020, 11:41 am »
I haven’t listened to ZZ Top much since the late ‘70’s but I really enjoyed this documentary.  The band has had a very interesting career.
Brett

lokie

« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2020, 01:56 pm »
Plus1 :thumb: On "3 Men".

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #8 on: 18 Mar 2020, 02:23 pm »
What's the name of the documentary?  A search for ZZ Top failed at Netflix

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #9 on: 18 Mar 2020, 02:34 pm »
What's the name of the documentary?  A search for ZZ Top failed at Netflix

ZZ Top:That Little Ol' Band From Texas

I just searched "ZZ Top" on Netflix and got right to it, FWIW

MttBsh

« Reply #10 on: 18 Mar 2020, 04:00 pm »
Watched it as well and feel I have a new respect for the band. My go to album is the dvd Live in Germany Rockpalast '80, IMO this was their finest hour. Also have another ZZ Top dvd with different songs some I like like Pearl Necklace, but recording and performance isn't near as good as Live in Germany '80.

Mag - after reading your comment last night I watched the Rockpalast '80 performance on YouTube and I agree with you - it is ZZ Top at their dirtiest, grungiest blues-rockin' best. Both Billy Gibbons and Dusty Hill just tear the place up! Reminds me of the power and intensity of many, many concerts I attended back in the 70s. Then came the synthesizers and the drum machines and the haircuts and it was all over.

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 18 Mar 2020, 10:01 pm »
The documentary of "the little band from Texas" currently on Netflix is interesting and well-done.

I liked the history of their videos on MTV

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #12 on: 18 Mar 2020, 10:56 pm »
Just streamed "Master of Sparks" loud, really loud. What a nostalgic trip and an interesting story told in the lyrics. They were such a departure from other bands of that era. After that I streamed all of "Tres Hombres" while I cleaned the espresso machine. I attach so many memories to music, it might be weird :o

jschwenker

« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2020, 02:03 pm »
Larkin Poe | ZZ Top Cover ("Sharp Dressed Man")

Hot dang, folks:

Just released — Today’s best 2.5 minutes. You’re welcome!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ldOCdxtKTI4

lokie

« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2020, 04:11 pm »
Wow... Larkin Poe.... Thank you indeed.

Just spent an hour watching everything I could see of them. Blues with smiles!