Ariston RD80 Turntable Purchase

Rocket

Ariston RD80 Turntable Purchase
« on: 11 Sep 2022, 01:43 am »
Hi,

I recently bought myself an Ariston RD80 turntable to try out in my system. It comes with a Grace 707 tonearm and A & R Cambridge/Garrott Bros stylus.  I've taken it to my turntable guru who is going to set it up for me.  It will be interesting to hear how it sounds once it has had a service. I did think the Grace 707 tonearm looked a bit flimsy (I'm no expert at all) but I've read a lot of positive reviews about this particular tonearm.  See what happens...  Liquid Audio is going to service and setup the turntable for me.

https://liquidaudio.com.au

A lot of these older turntables have a lot to offer as they are made so well compared with a Rega or Project turntable.

Cheers Rod

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Ariston RD80 Turntable Purchase
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2022, 05:32 am »
Congrats Rod. Not familiar with that specific rig, but I still find vinyl a rewarding listening experience with my 40 yr old Thorens. Hope you thoroughly enjoy it.  8)

JD

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2022, 11:43 am »
The Ariston RD11 was the precursor to the Linn turntable, made in the same factory by Ivor's Dad, both stealing ideas from the Thorens TD150.  Many Linn parts fit directly on an RD11.  How that all sorts out is shrouded in some mystery, but Ariston was sold by the founder after the Linn came out.  As Linn went up market Ariston went down market.  The RD80 is a simplified RD11, the Grace 707 was a popular tonearm for it as was the SME 309.  The sound is warm and fuzzy with a diffuse soundstage, very much like the Thorens of the time.  Best of luck with it.

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2022, 04:01 pm »
I have several LP12 Linns...my original had a Grace 707 tonearm. To clear the baseplate of the Linn, a "killer turn" was necessary, often effected with a nylon tie that curved the tonearm cable upward. Mine had broken wires within the cable. Linn tonearms have a right angle DIN connector that avoids this. I wound up selling the tonearm.

I have an LP12 with a Rega RB600, the tonearm cable met the same broken wire fate. Had it redone with a much more compliant cable to avoid binding the heck out of it.

Good luck! Vintage is GOOD!

Paul

PS You need to post a couple of pics...