New Analog Front End

Bioman65

New Analog Front End
« on: 8 Jul 2022, 05:26 pm »
After 50 years in this interest of ours, I can finally afford to go for a cost-no-object (to me at least) Analog front end. So here we go. The current system is a Vacuum Tube Audio PH-16 phono-stage (kit built) with a Rega P3 TT and a Hana SH moving coil cartridge. This is a very good system for the money. But I have stepped out on a limb and am taking a big jump up. Given the cost, I have been concerned, irrespective of the reviews, that this might be a mistake. But I took a leap of faith after talking to a few owners. So two weeks ago the Allnic H-7000 phono-stage arrived. After a few days of warm-up for break-in here is what I heard. It is the best I have heard to date having recently listened at several of the upscale shops in my area.  It is both what I expected and did not expect. What I expected and got was a very large soundstage in both width and depth yet able to scale down to small and intimate when called for by recording. I expected good layering of instruments and got very, very good layering. I expected increased detail and got exceptional. What I did not expect in a tubed unit was the speed of transient attack, more like a best SS offering than a tube unit. This is not a shy phono stage. It is aggressive in a good "oh-wow” kind of way. Its ability to do dynamic swings is startling. So, to sum it up natural vocals, speed, detail, separation of instruments, holographic soundstage, and the best mix of SS and tube characteristics in one unit. Could not be happier plus I got a very, very deep discount off the list price, without which I could not have afforded it. Arriving this Sunday is my new TT/Tonearm/cartridge rig. The Feickert Firebird with Kuzma 4Point 11” tone-arm and a Soundsmith Sussurro moving iron Cartridge. Also holding my breath on this one as it is a stupid amount of money. Getting older, and as this will likely be my last chance to buy at this level, I did not want to have any regrets later on.

Bioman65

Re: New Analog Front End
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2022, 05:27 pm »
Pictures of the TT coming this Sunday when it arrives, unless I forget because I am enjoying it too much.  :lol:

twitch54

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2022, 09:01 pm »
Big Congrats Bioman, looking forward to your impressions of the new set up !

RPM123

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2022, 01:07 am »
Yes, congrats as well...looks like you will have an excellent analog set up!

Bioman65

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2022, 07:49 pm »
Here it is. Initial thoughts after two nights of listening; more of everything, a lot more of everything compared to my most recent setup. A classical music lovers delight; what I mean by that is that individual instruments are so much easier to follow, I think the Cart and the Phono-Stage have a lot in common in terms of characteristics.  Also, to my ears the Alllnic and the Soiundsmith are not forgiving and warm; they just give you what is on the recordings, good or bad. So a number of albums I could listen to before are just annoying now, but the well-recorded ones are to-die-for. I think it will get better as everything is still new and burning in.  This is going to be a very long-term keeper.

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2022, 09:08 pm »
...So a number of albums I could listen to before are just annoying now, but the well-recorded ones are to-die-for. .....

Hey!

Congratulation! Nice phono stage there.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I sometime want to retune my system to make it less accurate for so many inaccurate recordings pop/rock/electronic recordings I have.

Buddy

DannyBadorine

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2022, 01:35 pm »
This is awesome and inspiring!  And yes, the better the system, the more accurate it is.  There's no way around it.  You will hear what is there and nothing else.  Bad recordings are heard for what they are.  But the good ones are so much better.