Introducing the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers!

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
Re: Introducing the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers!
« Reply #100 on: 20 Nov 2010, 06:53 pm »
Not meant to be a goad, nor meant to make anyone defensive. And definitely not about the "Quantum Engima."

There has been universally positive feedback about the Ground Enhancers, even from those going into the 'buy' as skeptical.

Since you are discussing what you have heard in your auditions, I'm curious to hear from those that might have reflected on the whys from your end of the interface.

Phil A

« Reply #101 on: 20 Nov 2010, 06:54 pm »
Mine are at the speakers, I bought one pair to try. I got the ones that have the bend and hung them from the hole in the binding post.

Mine are at the speaker end too.  I got the straight ones and my speaker wires are terminated with spades so I tightened it on the negative terminal.

shep

« Reply #102 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:13 pm »
As I live the in europe, apparently I have to get two pairs...which aught to be the optimal config.
Regarding the above query; the "whys" are of course facinating but to judge from past experience, this can quickly lead to a face-off and get very heated. Perhaps more interesting would be those who hear no difference or a negative one. Just a suggestion...I have a nice system so I will certainly chime in when I get these.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #103 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:15 pm »
Mine are at the speaker end too.  I got the straight ones and my speaker wires are terminated with spades so I tightened it on the negative terminal.

The hooked ones might have worked better, especially if you get the reported ringing. Less wire lead would be benefitial in that regard I would imagine. I put some string tension on mine anyways.

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #104 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:19 pm »
According to the website, you need a pair at each end of the speakers cables. Is this how "you" are using them? or only at the speaker end? I have a strange feeling I am going to be trying this real soon
 :D

My post #66. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #105 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:21 pm »
I ordered two pairs for the pair of hi and low binding posts on my SP Tech Revelations.  The Aether Magic Boxes are driving these speakers from the Revs Mundorf-based crossover boxes, and the MB's gave me significant improvement in timing and dynamics.  It will be interesting to hear what the GE's do, if anything.

Not to pile on to David's post, or to doubt Ric's claims......but...I will put my $.02 in and remind folks that immediate "improvements" and long-term ones are sometimes quite different.  Often when we add or change something there is excitement in the change (assuming it's not muddy or dull), even something as benign as .5db gain (we tend to like things that make out system a little louder at the same volume).  All I ask is that we revisit the day one excitement and change a few days later and report back.   if it's still just as rewarding sonically then we have a winner!!  OK, off my soapbox.  :)

Phil A

« Reply #106 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:25 pm »

The hooked ones might have worked better, especially if you get the reported ringing. Less wire lead would be benefitial in that regard I would imagine. I put some string tension on mine anyways.

Cheers,
Robin

I only tried a couple of songs.  Did not notice anything but will listen for it as I play it more.  It is probably as far down as a hooked one would be and it probably bent slightly in the tightening process.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #107 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:27 pm »
I ordered two pairs for the pair of hi and low binding posts on my SP Tech Revelations.  The Aether Magic Boxes are driving these speakers from the Revs Mundorf-based crossover boxes, and the MB's gave me significant improvement in timing and dynamics.  It will be interesting to hear what the GE's do, if anything.

Not to pile on to David's post, or to doubt Ric's claims......but...I will put my $.02 in and remind folks that immediate "improvements" and long-term ones are sometimes quite different.  Often when we add or change something there is excitement in the change (assuming it's not muddy or dull), even something as benign as .5db gain (we tend to like things that make out system a little louder at the same volume).  All I ask is that we revisit the day one excitement and change a few days later and report back.   if it's still just as rewarding sonically then we have a winner!!  OK, off my soapbox.  ;)

I couldn't agree more Ted. That's why I held off a few days, just to see of the "acclimation period" would somehow diminish my impressions. It's been going on 4 days now with my system running 24/7 and,,, well I'll stand by what I've already had to say.  :D

But being that your system is so much more resolving than mine, I'll be really looking forward to your own impressions in the days to come.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #108 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:29 pm »

Regarding the above query; the "whys" are of course facinating but to judge from past experience, this can quickly lead to a face-off and get very heated. Perhaps more interesting would be those who hear no difference or a negative one. Just a suggestion...I have a nice system so I will certainly chime in when I get these.

Thanks, Shep.

Wanted to hear from those with a positive experience, but if that will lead to others creating a "face-off", I voluntarily bow out on the question. Can understand why some, would therefore not want to post their "reflections."

Will keep abreast on the posts here and hopefully can form my own reflections once they are in-system.

- David.

shep

« Reply #109 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:36 pm »
Good advice that, about prudence. I still vividly remember that ancient tweak with the green felt pen. I treated about 100 cd's very compulsively and was sure I heard a difference. I still have them and I absolutely cannot hear whatever that was supposed to do. If this works out to relative unanimity, it will be a milestone (not a Shakti stone!) and one for the books. I sure hope so.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #110 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:38 pm »
Ok these work and I am willing to make a gentleman's bet.First non believer who PM's me I will buy you 1 set and have them shipped to you. If you like them their yours if not you mail them to me. Nothing to lose . Except for me  :scratch: Seriously you have a money back guarantee and we all know we have spent  10x and some more on stupid tweaks that didn't even work. :thumb:

shep

« Reply #111 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:43 pm »
Carefull! you might get a bunch of believers taking you up on this  :lol: Sounds like a very fair offer. Any takers? What about " What a complete load of old bollocks. :roll: " ?

bradmorris1

« Reply #112 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:46 pm »
In the last 10 years of my devotion to audio as a hobby there have been two moments of major gestalt shift.  The first was when I inserted the EE Minimax BBA tube buffer into my playback chain.  This was the first time that cd listening became pleasurable.  Listener fatigue died for me that day.  It was a holy grail moment.

The second gestalt shift occurred last week with the insertion of the mind blowing EVS Ground Enhancers.  I'm not going to repeat everything that has been written above but it is all true.  What I will state however is that for the first time in over 30 years in this hobby, especially as it relates to cds, I do not have to focus on the lyrics of a song in order to understand and enjoy them.  The gestalt shift is that the story of the songs through the lyrics now comes and grabs me even if I was thinking I would just be grooving to the tune.

For example, I love the new Graham Parker cd Imaginary Television for the music but listening to it again last week with the GEs I was pulled into Graham's travails on the ski slopes in the song Snowgun.  I was right on the chairlift with him looking down on the slopes.  Before the GEs I had no idea what that song was about.  I heard the words but never HEARD the words.

What's happening?  I have no idea but this purchase has been my single greatest bang for the buck investement in audio since I purchased my first pair of Advent Large speakers in 1971.  If you look up no brainer in the dectionary you will see a picture of the EVS Ground Enhancers.

Brad

Charles Xavier

« Reply #113 on: 20 Nov 2010, 07:58 pm »
Carefull! you might get a bunch of believers taking you up on this  :lol: Sounds like a very fair offer. Any takers? What about " What a complete load of old bollocks. :roll: " ?

your not included .you live on the other side of the world

shep

« Reply #114 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:04 pm »
I figured that one out right away  :lol: Actually I'm only about a third of the way round but I get your point :cry:

Charles Xavier

« Reply #115 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:11 pm »
Ok these work and I am willing to make a gentleman's bet.First non believer who PM's me I will buy you 1 set and have them shipped to you. If you like them their yours if not you mail them to me. Nothing to lose . Except for me  :scratch: Seriously you have a money back guarantee and we all know we have spent  10x and some more on stupid tweaks that didn't even work. :thumb:

And the winner is JHM731

raindance

« Reply #116 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:25 pm »

I think I'd qualify as an unbeliever  :D

Seriously, though, as an engineer I need to know certain things. Number one on my list is: 'how do you "tune" something if you don't know how it works and have no parameters to work with?'. What is it tuned to? Don't flame me or call me the guy who knows everything, just answer that one simple question. If I get a response that makes any sense at all, I might even try a pair, but so far I fail to be convinced.

And I do happen to know a lot about grounding and ground planes, it is how I used to earn my living, hence my elevated level of skepticism.

owenmd

« Reply #117 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:43 pm »

Seriously, though, as an engineer I need to know certain things. Number one on my list is: 'how do you "tune" something if you don't know how it works and have no parameters to work with?'. What is it tuned to? Don't flame me or call me the guy who knows everything, just answer that one simple question. If I get a response that makes any sense at all, I might even try a pair, but so far I fail to be convinced.

Its actually very simple to create things you don't understand... the process is called cause and effect.  You make a change in a system, any change and you note the result or effect.  You then make another change and note the result.... is it better or worse...?  This process continues as you refine the product.  Once you get tired of making change or are happy.... you have a finished product.  Its an improvement, but you don't always know why.   :scratch:

Many scientific advances happened this way.... we figured out the theory much later after seeing the results.... well, pulled one out of our butts anywhere...! :oops:

Not sure how much cred I have, but I am very familiar with the term "bollocks" and used to be an engineer in a past life.  :lol:

rodge827

« Reply #118 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:58 am »
Yes. At least me, my business partner, and Bud himself (he has a set of Fonken and a variation with Mark Audio Alpair7eN (dMar-Ken7))

dave
Dave,
Did the Ground Enhancers do anything for your single driver speakers ?

owenmd

« Reply #119 on: 21 Nov 2010, 02:21 am »
FYI:

After listening to a lot of material I'm familiar with, I've just had to finally change out my amp rectifier for a 'slightly' duller/warmer one.  I've worked long and hard to achieve a very neutral system on most material, but these enhancers seem to just push it very slightly into the brighter side of neutral as I mentioned earlier.... in my system anyway.  I was hoping that would go away with "burning in?", but it doesn't seem to have.

Having said that, I am hearing micro details that simply weren't there before the enhancers and it just sounds more realistic... so I'm still happy.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2010, 03:44 pm by owenmd »