Introduction

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
Re: Introduction
« Reply #20 on: 11 Oct 2023, 09:57 pm »
We have a few options for smaller floor-standing speakers.
X-SLS: (taller version of the X-LS) bass down to ~45Hz
X-Omni: Has bass down to ~45Hz, but needs to be pulled away from walls due to the up-firing woofer.
LGK 2.4: Bass to ~65Hz sealed design and needs about 1 foot off the walls, will need subs.
The only model we have with deeper bass extension is the X-MTM. It's definitely a larger model, but can play down to ~35Hz in most rooms.

We're working on offering more tower models as completed speakers, but shipping gets quite expensive as they get much larger/heavier once you get beyond the X-SLS or X-Omni.
We have the X-OnWall for surround speakers, but any of our smaller bookshelf models will work well also if you want something more directional.

Hi Hoobsmeerkat,
look like what I need and what will fill my sound taste requirements is the X-MTM,
assembled units is what I'm looking for.
I think you have someone in USA that can assemble them and ship them.
By the way, I'm not into 5.1 or 9.1 or the same, but only stereo it's fine with me.
Thanks for the info, very helpfull.

Double A

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2023, 03:05 pm »
Hi (Again) all !
I went to the audio shop to see the flat screen tv offering.
Sony is the brand I prefer.
The saleman showed me a 60'' with the screen which act as a speaker.
Anyone of you have hear about that ?
I was not impressed, no bass at all and I don't like the idea.
I really want real speaker.
The other thing that surprised me is that there are no analog audio output (RCA) on most of the tv.
I have to buy a DAC or an amplifier with built-in DAC.
I was offered the following amplifier (Not interested in receiver, since I don't want FM tuner.)
The models offered to me where :
Yamaha A-S301, RX-V4A They have more power that I need but that's o.k.
The amplifier will be used in strereo mode, 2 channels.
Any opinions or suggestions on the above,
I need help I am really not up to date on electronics.
Thanks.

bhassel

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2023, 04:19 pm »
 :popcorn:

Welcome!

I'd recommend looking at an IOTA (British) amp. It's a good bang for the buck and a good option to the Emotiva amps. I have the integrated and power amp combo. It doesn't color the music; you just hear what is recorded.  I keep hoping that GR or someone will come out with a good Dodd amp kit...

There are plenty of good DACs around at all price levels.

Going with any of Danny's speakers will be a step above anything you can reasonably purchase elsewhere. Plus you'll hear music in a way you've probably never heard before.

BTW, there is no such thing as the last amp/speaker/DAC/etc. that you will ever need. The more you listen, the better your ears will get at hearing the real nuances of the music. With GR speakers at least, the only thing you can upgrade to is other GR speakers.  :thumb:

Bob

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2023, 04:30 pm »
If it were me I would get a PS Audio Sprout.  Excellent sound quality plus it’s an all in one unit so very simple:

https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-integrated-amplifier

For speakers, GR does offer completed speakers, here:

https://gr-research.com/completed-speakers/

For a condo/apartment setting I think the XLS-Encore is about the best speaker around:

https://gr-research.com/product/xls-encore/

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct 2023, 04:34 pm »
There are other options out there depending on your budget.  Have you considered separates?  As in a stand alone DAC, preamp, amplifier. 

On the cheap end you could get Schiit Modi dac, Saga S preamp, and Vidar 2 power amplifier for a total of $1257.  Another option is the Outlaw Audio RR2160 stereo receiver at $999.

For more refinement consider a Hegel H95 integrated amplifier.

There are plenty of options aside from the mass market brands.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #25 on: 13 Oct 2023, 05:38 pm »
:popcorn:

Welcome!

I'd recommend looking at an IOTA (British) amp. It's a good bang for the buck and a good option to the Emotiva amps. I have the integrated and power amp combo. It doesn't color the music; you just hear what is recorded.  I keep hoping that GR or someone will come out with a good Dodd amp kit...

There are plenty of good DACs around at all price levels.

Going with any of Danny's speakers will be a step above anything you can reasonably purchase elsewhere. Plus you'll hear music in a way you've probably never heard before.

BTW, there is no such thing as the last amp/speaker/DAC/etc. that you will ever need. The more you listen, the better your ears will get at hearing the real nuances of the music. With GR speakers at least, the only thing you can upgrade to is other GR speakers.  :thumb:

Bob

Hi Bob.
Thanks for the useful info, will keep that in mind.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2023, 05:55 pm »
If it were me I would get a PS Audio Sprout.  Excellent sound quality plus it’s an all in one unit so very simple:

https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-integrated-amplifier

For speakers, GR does offer completed speakers, here:

https://gr-research.com/completed-speakers/

For a condo/apartment setting I think the XLS-Encore is about the best speaker around:

https://gr-research.com/product/xls-encore/

Thanks Tyson,
when taking my final decision I will certainly consider your suggestions.
I saw that you are very active on AC and knowlegeable.

Double A

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #27 on: 13 Oct 2023, 06:01 pm »
There are other options out there depending on your budget.  Have you considered separates?  As in a stand alone DAC, preamp, amplifier. 

On the cheap end you could get Schiit Modi dac, Saga S preamp, and Vidar 2 power amplifier for a total of $1257.  Another option is the Outlaw Audio RR2160 stereo receiver at $999.

For more refinement consider a Hegel H95 integrated amplifier.

There are plenty of options aside from the mass market brands.

Hi corndog71.
Thanks for the suggestions,
The Hegel H95 is a little expensive for a unit.
however, I would prefer integrated, I don't like several unit combo,
I hate to see or to know that there is a spaghetti junction behing my tv.
I know that Schiit have a good reputation and it's made in USA.
However, when service is required, you need to send back the defective unit to USA,
could be expensive.

Double A

bhassel

« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2023, 07:18 pm »
Ah, yes!

PS Audio & Schitt! I have a couple of Modi's myself!

All good suggestions.

Bob

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2023, 11:40 pm »
I also have the PS Audio Sprout 100 in one of my systems. For a budget friendly one box unit (amp, preamp, DAC, phono preamp, and Bluetooth streamer), this is certainly worth serious consideration.

The X-MTM Encore is a very good choice for use without a subwoofer. While it's design spec is -3dB at 40Hz, with room gain it can have solid performance down to the lower 30Hz range.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 13 Oct 2023, 11:42 pm »
I also have the PS Audio Sprout 100 in one of my systems. For a budget friendly one box unit (amp, preamp, DAC, phono preamp, and Bluetooth streamer), this is certainly worth serious consideration. PS Audio has dealer's around the world but factory repair might still be an issue for you since they are also in the U.S. though I've had mine for over a year with no problems.

The X-MTM Encore is a very good choice for use without a subwoofer. While it's design spec is -3dB at 40Hz, with room gain it can have solid performance down to the lower 30Hz range.

Mike

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #31 on: 14 Oct 2023, 12:27 am »
Thanks bhassel and mlundy57
I will digest all that information and see what direction I will take.

Double A

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2023, 07:56 pm »
Hi all.
Yesterday, I did a few audio store, a few is three (03) and I wa close to buy a Sony 60'' flat screen smart TV but a miracle happen.
My brother in law replace is one year old smart Samsung 48'' tv for a 80'' TV and gave me is old (One year is not old) TV.
So, that's one lass thing to buy.
Now, for the intégrated amplifier with built in DAC I'm still undecided....
I really to stay under 1,000 (CND) $
I have (For now) 3 candidate.
They all have DAC input to take care of the digital audio from the TV.
NAD D3045, PS Audio Sprout 100, Denon PMA-600E
I lean toward the Denon. Lower price and local repair service if needed.
For all the cables, I don't need much and my brother in law will give me some.
I will keep looking - shopping and should take a decision before the end f this month.

Double A.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #33 on: 19 Oct 2023, 10:51 pm »
Hi all.
Up-date on my home cinéma or should I say : My TV with only an amplifier and speakers.
I'm still trying to see what will be the best combo amplifier - speakers.
Really not easy, at least for me.
I have the (Free) tv and for the amplifier and speakers, my budget is around 2,000 USD.
I want floor standing speakers, becaus I like bass and subwoofer is not really what I want.
For the amplifier, I want integrated with opti input to have as less as possible wires.
So that's it.
Any more suggestions ? ? ?

Double A

KTS

« Reply #34 on: 20 Oct 2023, 02:56 am »
I had been using an Emotiva TA1 with XLS Encores very nice paring, I still use it in my living room set up. The TA1 can be used as a pre amp as well, so if you want to add a DAC with a separate amp you can upgrade. I did not use subs and the Encores gave me most of the music.

Thank you, Kelly

Tyson

« Reply #35 on: 20 Oct 2023, 04:33 am »
Since you're in Europe, I'd say get a PS Audio Sprout (there's dealers in the EU) and a pair of small floorstanding speakers from Dynaudio or Sonus Faber.  Checked the used market for good deals.

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #36 on: 20 Oct 2023, 08:18 am »
Since you're in Europe, I'd say get a PS Audio Sprout (there's dealers in the EU) and a pair of small floorstanding speakers from Dynaudio or Sonus Faber.  Checked the used market for good deals.

Hi Tyson,
who said I was living in Europe ?
I'm a French Canadian living in Montreal, Quebec.
By the way, I'm also looking at used stuff on Canuck Audio Market,
however, I prefer new with a warranty.

Thanks.

Double A

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #37 on: 20 Oct 2023, 08:22 am »
I had been using an Emotiva TA1 with XLS Encores very nice paring, I still use it in my living room set up. The TA1 can be used as a pre amp as well, so if you want to add a DAC with a separate amp you can upgrade. I did not use subs and the Encores gave me most of the music.

Thank you, Kelly

Thanks KTS,
I will look at the Emotiva and see if I get get a warranty with local after sale service.

Thanks.

Double A

Tyson

« Reply #38 on: 20 Oct 2023, 02:58 pm »
Hi Tyson,
who said I was living in Europe ?
I'm a French Canadian living in Montreal, Quebec.
By the way, I'm also looking at used stuff on Canuck Audio Market,
however, I prefer new with a warranty.

Thanks.

Double A

Oh my mistake, I thought you'd said you were in Spain.  OK, then Canada I'd still recommend the Sprout and a pair of GR Research speakers.  If you are really looking to keep the price low and you simply cannot DIY, you can buy something used.  Here's a link to the website I use to browse used gear:

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=GR+research

Alain Arseneault

• Double A
« Reply #39 on: 20 Oct 2023, 10:17 pm »
Oh my mistake, I thought you'd said you were in Spain.  OK, then Canada I'd still recommend the Sprout and a pair of GR Research speakers.  If you are really looking to keep the price low and you simply cannot DIY, you can buy something used.  Here's a link to the website I use to browse used gear:

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=GR+research

Thanks Tyson,
I'm still looking - searching.
I want my setup to be as simple as possible. Less wire = Happy Alain

Double A