Painted area around screen flat black

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« on: 29 Nov 2003, 05:48 pm »
Well, I finally painted the area around the screen flat black and it is an even better improvement than I thought it would be.

Better contrast and colors are more vibrant.

If you have a dedicated room, highly recommended.

You can see the pics in my gallery.

GW

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2003, 06:22 pm »
The link to zybar's gallery for those of us that care not to search for it...

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?set_albumName=Zybar-s-Dedicated-Music-and-HT-Room-Living-Room&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

One question though. Why did you only do sections behind the screen & in front of it? Why not do the ceiling from projector to screen? Or the whole ceiling for that matter?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2003, 06:28 pm »
Well, I defintely wouldn't do the whole ceiling black b/c it is a low celing (only 6' 9") and it would make the room too dark and feel small.

I might paint a path from the pj to the screen in the future, but will wait a bit before I make that decision.

GW

Horsehead

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2003, 06:33 pm »
The difference is really dramatic.  I would say it prevented me from looking for a new projector for quite a while.

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2003, 07:31 pm »
I was amazed at the difference this made. I didn't use flat black but a color called Magma. It's nearly black and is about the same shade as lava. The paint store at the time didn't have any black and this was as close as they were able to come.

I have thought about painting the rest of the room a darker color but not black for the same reason as Zybar, I don't want the room to feel too small. The wall to the right of my screen is covered in dark acoustic foam for about 4 feet, so there is no reflection from the wall and the other side of the screen is open to another room, so stray light is minimal.

As Horsehead mentioned, it really reduces the desire to upgrade projectors.  :thumb:  :thumb:  

Mike G.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2003, 04:30 am »
Zybar,

Paint your ceiling black or any dark color that is flat of your choice. Don't worry if your rooms "seems" small . You watch movies with the lights out????

Dark walls around the stage will help also.

Good Luck

Larry

WerTicus

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2003, 06:38 pm »
yes just buy another house with white walls so the rooms seem big.

:D