TWO.2 listening impressions

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
TWO.2 listening impressions
« on: 6 Jun 2010, 05:38 pm »
Fellas,
The first TWO.2s have landed and are breaking in.  I thought I'd kick off a thread to discuss listening impressions.  Early impressions are good. 
Folks have noticed that it runs a bit warmer than the ONE/ONE.2s and sounds even better.
Seth

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: TWO.2 listening impressions
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jun 2010, 06:38 pm »
I now have the TWO.2 from the tour.

My quick impression are:
Extremely quiet-aboslutely no hiss or hum
Detail, Detail, Detail-this was a shocker to me.  I really didn't expect this much micro-detail.  The tone is "warm" with great detail and clarity.  I was shocked!
Easy on the ears-In my second listening session I listened for ~2.5 hrs.  No fatigue.  I'm very sensitive to that.

The unit runs slightly warm to the touch but still much cooler then my Class A mono blocks.  I have the TWO.2 on my 3 ways that are 89dB 1W / 1M with a minimum impedance of 4.7 @ 70Hz.  I was able to drive this speaker at 80db with no problem at all.  I was curious to know if I could clip the amp..I had my speakers at 98dB and stopped as that was enough with AC/DC at those levels.

The build quality is great...the Propeller binding posts are cool.   :)

The setup that I'm using is:
Mac Mini (4GB RAM, SSD HD, Amarra & iomega Mini Max with music files) > Wavelength Crimson (Denominator Module) > Virtue > Custom 3 way

I look forward to trying this little wonder with the GR NX1's that are on the way to me.  This setup with an ipod might make it's way to my work lab... :dance:

To Seth, Gary Dodd (battery kit), Camille (great customer service) and all the others that make Virtue a reality GREAT JOB!  It's very impressive.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 7 Jun 2010, 01:15 pm »
Who has the other?  Thoughts?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jun 2010, 06:30 pm »
Who has the other?  Thoughts?
I'd love to hear from the other folks??
Whats the deal with Caps?? Auri vs. Virtu....are they like changing tubes but in a solid state world??

dvenardos

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jun 2010, 06:50 pm »
That pretty much nails it.  :thumb:

Whats the deal with Caps?? Auri vs. Virtu....are they like changing tubes but in a solid state world??

wsturner

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jun 2010, 06:59 pm »
For cap discussion, check out the "Sensation M451 mods- listening impressions" topic.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 7 Jun 2010, 07:40 pm »
For cap discussion, check out the "Sensation M451 mods- listening impressions" topic.
Thanks-will do....another neat thing to learn about :thumb:

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #7 on: 7 Jun 2010, 07:57 pm »
Jason, is your amp sample running on batteries?  Pretty impressive report.  Thanks!

(check out my sig...)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 7 Jun 2010, 09:35 pm »
Jason, is your amp sample running on batteries?  Pretty impressive report.  Thanks!

(check out my sig...)

Yes, it is.  I'll post some pics later.

Nice sig! nature that is.   :bowdown:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 7 Jun 2010, 10:02 pm »
Battery Kit

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 7 Jun 2010, 10:44 pm »
jtwrace-you are not using the sub output yet?? planning on trying it?? :thumb: :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 7 Jun 2010, 11:22 pm »
jtwrace-you are not using the sub output yet?? planning on trying it?? :thumb: :thumb:

I'm not using it with this setup.  When I move it to my electrostats I will try it.  I've got it on right now as I type this and it's great.  Listening to "Simple Man" from Shinedown (my Mini is on shuffle).  It's just fantastic.   :thumb: to Seth and Virtue.

al128

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2010, 07:45 pm »
I have the TWO.2 on my 3 ways that are 89dB 1W / 1M with a minimum impedance of 4.7 @ 70Hz.  I was able to drive this speaker at 80db with no problem at all.

well glad to hear - b/c you used less than 0.3 watts  :eyebrows:  :green:

other than that - thx for the casual review ... always interesting to read - keep em coming.

cheers
al

al128

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2010, 07:49 pm »
Fellas,
The first TWO.2s have landed and are breaking in.

seth,

are those prototypes? ... or the real deal? (i mean are production units pouring in an being shipped)  :drool:

thx,

al

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 8 Jun 2010, 07:50 pm »

seth,

are those prototypes? ... or the real deal? (i mean are production units pouring in an being shipped)  :drool:

thx,

al

Look like production units to me.  Order yours up!   :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 8 Jun 2010, 08:39 pm »
I'm pretty sure they are the real deal...mine is gonna match the color of JBL logo!!..LOL!! :thumb: I keep checking if its shipped yet like a kid in a candy store.

jtwrace-do the sub yet???? The crossover point if I just attach a powered sub is determined on the sub itself correct?? or is there a known value of where they crossover in the amp?? Sorry-I'm pumped!!!   :oops:

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #16 on: 8 Jun 2010, 09:15 pm »
These are very much production.  We made a bunch of them, half with Auricap 2.2s.  Xover of the high-pass is around 80hz, gentle slope, performed by jumpering in the 0.1 input cap for the 2.2.  The 0.1s are all Virtucaps, a very good but standard MPP cap that Audience helped to design for us.

Ed, the red color is a little orangy, sort of a fire-engine red.  It may be close to your JBL logo.  Regardless, I think it's beautiful as are all the other colors.  The colored units use a textured paint which makes them matte and non-reflective.  It's a nice touch.  Also, the TWO.2s have less of a laser-beam LED than the ONE.2s. 

Someone please tell me how glaring it is, I've not seen one personally as they're going straight to Cami to ship out of Arizona.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 8 Jun 2010, 09:30 pm »
Seth-So if I'm going to use a powered sub right away-which I am-I should change the jumpers correct?? I thought the jumper change took out the attenuator or is that another jumper and I'm confused here-which is likely?

Orange is what I was going for, I saw the color in a shot Mariusz posted

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 8 Jun 2010, 09:36 pm »
What sub are you using?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #19 on: 8 Jun 2010, 09:48 pm »
What sub are you using?
Polk- PSW10...there is a crossover setting dial,volume control and stereo inputs of which one is open for this little puppy....